HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Sep 09, 2005, 09:18 AM
Maurice
Bakersfield, Cal.
Joined Jul 2004
1,059 Posts
Wingtip shape?

I've got a new S-15 coming from Wowings. I downloaded the instruction off the website, to get ready for the build and noticed that the option was given to leave the tips squared, as the pics of the prototype, or round them like say the Halfpipe.

What do you think?

Maurice
mpodder is offline Find More Posts by mpodder
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2005, 11:22 AM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,214 Posts
Aerodynamic considerations aside, rounded wingtips look better to my eye, and are less likely to sustain damage.
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Sep 09, 2005, 11:25 AM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,642 Posts
yeah, squared tips will crease on a crash and just be sitting there floppy creating drag i feel anyhow... i like rounded tips..

JOe
KingOfTheHill is offline Find More Posts by KingOfTheHill
Old Sep 09, 2005, 11:35 AM
Maurice
Bakersfield, Cal.
Joined Jul 2004
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfTheHill
yeah, squared tips will crease on a crash and just be sitting there floppy creating drag i feel anyhow... i like rounded tips..

JOe
Thanks! Then how much of a curved tip? Just enough to take off the point, like a Gulp SR or full elipse like the Half Pipe. Also I've seen some tips that curve the tip of the aileron as will.

What do you think?
Maurice
Old Sep 09, 2005, 11:45 AM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,214 Posts
Again my unprofessional opinion, but I take off as little as possible because what's left won't have a proper leading edge - it will need to be sanded down to approximate an airfoil shape. The kit will probably come with a template. Rounding the elevon helps a lot with the appearance that the wingtip is rounder than it is. Looks better IMO.
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Sep 09, 2005, 12:03 PM
Maurice
Bakersfield, Cal.
Joined Jul 2004
1,059 Posts
So more like the Gulp or M60. That's the way I'll go then and I'll probably round the aileron tips as well.

Thanks again
Maurice
Old Sep 09, 2005, 02:24 PM
United States, MS, Amory
Joined Oct 2004
1,412 Posts
There is a good art. in the Quiet Flyer Sept 2005 about wing platforms and wing tips. might help. If not..Just go and beat on a cowbell and your design will come to you.

Gene
mtnmnstr is offline Find More Posts by mtnmnstr
Old Sep 09, 2005, 05:42 PM
Frigate
Haiku,Hawaii
Joined Dec 2004
272 Posts
I rounded the wing tips on my Skua,a bit, and trailing edge a hair.
It cartweels great (:-)
You might want to wick some CA on to the elevon tips.
Dave
kawika is offline Find More Posts by kawika
Old Sep 09, 2005, 05:52 PM
Maurice
Bakersfield, Cal.
Joined Jul 2004
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawika
I rounded the wing tips on my Skua, It cartweels great (:-)

You might want to wick some CA on to the elevon tips.
Dave
Thanks Dave. Any tips on the Skua?

Maurice
Old Sep 10, 2005, 12:51 AM
Striving to Rip the Bring
San Diego, socal, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, the Orion arm, Milky way, Universe
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
Well, the more you round the better the lift distributions gets but the more you hurt the airfoil accuracy. I think that ala halfpipe is the way to go, since you can get the airfoil "close" by eye and it's ver very accurate when cut from epp as it is.

--Alex
raptor22 is offline Find More Posts by raptor22
Last edited by raptor22; Sep 10, 2005 at 01:33 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 01:32 AM
Frigate
Haiku,Hawaii
Joined Dec 2004
272 Posts
Maurice-
You are gonna love the way your s-15 flys. I'm really enjoying my Skua.
The instructions are very complete. Just take your time.
One word of caution........If you are going to use thinned goop on the S-15 be careful not to get it in the seam between the wing panels. I was very generous with the thinned goop in front of the cg (I drew a pen mark so I knew where to goop.)The outer wing panels are pre glued with hot glue before they cut the spar slot. Well it seems that the toulene melts hot glue, so my Skua started coming apart at the seams. Once the thinned goop dried I was able to glue everything back together with goop. I would use goop to glue all the foam parts as well as the spar.
When you balance the plane ,use the forward cg measurment Kye gives you to start with.You can then move it back as you get everything dialed in.This is common sense, but I had just built a Moth before building the Skua so I started with the rearward speced cg.(big mistake). Its a little tricky getting everything dialed in just right ,but well worth the effort.
Enjoy-

Dave
Old Sep 10, 2005, 04:10 PM
Maurice
Bakersfield, Cal.
Joined Jul 2004
1,059 Posts
[QUOTE=kawika]Maurice-
You are gonna love the way your s-15 flys.
If you are going to use thinned goop

I'm going to use Worldtex (Rebagged Solortex by Horizon). You can mail order it from Horizon or have your local hobby shop order it.

When you balance the plane ,use the forward cg

I plann on putting the ballast tube. The plans, I downloaded, say to make your CG decision before installing or wait till later and cut every thing back open to install it later. So I need to be on to begin with. Any suggestions?

Here's some pics of the plane on the website and how I plan to change the tips and fins.

Maurice
Old Sep 11, 2005, 04:44 PM
Frigate
Haiku,Hawaii
Joined Dec 2004
272 Posts
mpodder-
I rounded my wing tips about like yours. I did notice that most of the pics of the UK skuas had straight tips. I don't think it matters to much either way.
I used ultracote on mine, but what ever works and is easier to get .
The skua didn't come with a ballast tube, so I don't have any first hand experience with that . I would put the tube between the forward and aft recommended cgs.
As with most wings its usually hard to get the ballast sealed in the wing and covered, (and be spot on)since you don't know how much lead you are gonna need until your done covering. With mine I put several pieces of flat lead sheet in the battery bay as recommended,and also ended up tapeing a bunch more to the bottom of the nose. I didn't want to cut into the nose and weaken the structual integrity.
Don't be shy about emailing Kye with questions,he is a super nice guy and will usually get back to you within 24 hrs. Since this kit is so new, he's the guy who knows the S-15 the best.
Dave
Old Sep 11, 2005, 06:36 PM
Maurice
Bakersfield, Cal.
Joined Jul 2004
1,059 Posts
Thanks for the response Dave. I'll let you know how it goes and may do a build thread on it when it gets here.

Maurice
Closed Thread