HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 16, 2005, 08:25 AM
Foam rules
HdG Md.
Joined Jan 2003
4,914 Posts
I dont think it will be a problem but you could work the set screw in and out a few times which will indent it into the aluminum.
Thatovalguy is offline Find More Posts by Thatovalguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2005, 09:01 AM
Marlborough, Massachussetts, United States
Joined May 2002
1,856 Posts
Zagnutz flies with BP21

I took my new Zagnutz out this morning for a test flight. It has the following equipment on board:

BP21 motor/ESC combo
GWS 8x4HD prop
2 HS-81 servos
Hitec 555 receiver
CBP 1100Mah NIMH 10 cell battery pack

AUW 28 ounces

It is louder then I expected, but not unresonably so. I would not fly it near any houses early in the morning. It has plenty of power. I spent most of the flight at 50% throttle and was able to do loops and rolls after a slight dive at that setting. Power was substantially reduced after 6 minutes so I brought it in. I think the short flight was due to the battery being new (cycled once before this flight) and the cold temperature (22 F). After the flight the ESC and motor were both cool to the touch, and the battery was slightly warm. Overall, I'm quite happy with this setup.
BrianRickman is offline Find More Posts by BrianRickman
Old Jan 16, 2005, 09:16 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Brian: Is the noise from the prop or the motor?

If prop noise, trimming the TE away from the motor will reduce it.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Jan 16, 2005, 09:30 AM
Joined May 2002
1,856 Posts
The noise is from the prop. The first time I ran it up I was shocked at how loud it was, so I cut away a fair amount of the trailing edge around the prop and that reduced the noise level by half, but it's still louder then a GWS 350 gear motor with a 10 inch prop in a Beaver. It's also a bit louder then a Unicorn with a Speed 400 and Gunther prop, but not as loud or annoying as a stock Zagi. I think part of the noise problem is that the hollow airframe amplifies the sound.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 09:45 AM
GraysonHobby.com
Grayson, GA
Joined Jan 2003
718 Posts
When it runs , its smooth and quiet, but when I add throttle from anything below 100% to 100% is the stractcingproblem..Like its getting stuck or something...But this doesnt explain the 4 secs of hesitation from 0% to anything...

I gently tugged the solder connections going to the motor and all seem fine...Later on after church, Ill examine the battery and esc connections...By I highly doubt that is that...Im going to a friends house later to test it out..He has several Brushless setups so we can switch out the motor and esc to narrow the problem...

Editoral...Im not upset at BalsaPR, Im counting on their Customer Service.....Just frustrated my 1st brushless experience is less than satisfactory..
Basil is offline Find More Posts by Basil
Old Jan 16, 2005, 09:50 AM
Mat
The ground jumped at it!
Ohio
Joined Jun 2004
399 Posts
Maby you end point adjustment on your transmitter is giving your esc an odd signal.
Mat is offline Find More Posts by Mat
Old Jan 16, 2005, 10:42 AM
Joined May 2002
1,856 Posts
Zagnutz pics

Here are pics of my motor mount and the whole plane. The motor mount is a wedge shaped block of EPP foam with a bit of plywood glued to the back. The battery is mounted across the point of the nose, which is why I have a big coroplast flap wrapped around the front of the plane.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 11:18 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Joined Jul 2002
24,061 Posts
And here's a new one!!!

FB BOB just got a BP21 for Christmas... He put it on his "and WattNot" and proceeded to fly it into the fence WOT...... Everything was OK(the airframe, thank you Blucor) but the motor wouldn't turn over.... he Panicked , but we went back to the shop where I took the motor apart and found one of the leadout connections , before it went into the f/glas plate from the coils, had shorted to one of the coils(tiny silver marks on a couple windings) .... a bamboo skewer forced the offending wire away from the coil and Bingo .... it was running again, just FINE!!!!! ..... these motors are so simple ,it can only be a few things ..... try rewinding a j250 ...

New technology always has a few bugs , good thing we have so much communication to work them out.....Patience!!!!
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
Last edited by gpw; Jan 16, 2005 at 11:26 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 11:47 AM
Foam rules
HdG Md.
Joined Jan 2003
4,914 Posts
Basil, remember who is going to look at your motor ESC when you shoot off like this before asking for official customer service.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322770

Anyway, if it still is giving you problems send both in with a note, address. I'll take care of it.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 12:01 PM
ewo
Spencer In.USA
Joined Oct 2003
4,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatovalguy
Basil, remember who is going to look at your motor ESC when you shoot off like this before asking for official customer service.

Anyway, if it still is giving you problems send both in with a note, address. I'll take care of it.
Yep Yep!

If you dont have the time to test his motor Tog, just send it to me and i will be glad to test it

ewo
ewo is offline Find More Posts by ewo
Old Jan 16, 2005, 12:23 PM
United States, IA, Onawa
Joined Nov 2003
1,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatovalguy

Thanks for the insight Thatovalguy,

Personally, I hope people will continue to share their experiences (good or bad) with a product or company.
Even if it is hinted that they will receive reduced service quality if they do so.
But I do understand your frustration.

Jim
IA-Flyer is offline Find More Posts by IA-Flyer
Old Jan 16, 2005, 12:58 PM
Registered Triplane Addict
Winchester MA
Joined Jun 2004
1,768 Posts
These brushless motors, really dont seem that powerful to me..
68Strat is offline Find More Posts by 68Strat
Old Jan 16, 2005, 01:19 PM
Foam rules
HdG Md.
Joined Jan 2003
4,914 Posts
Its just to pick the wording better as we all read these threads for the info, good or bad. Its just that wording like that before asking for support is out of line when he may only be the half persent with a bad one. Remember we've sold tons of them.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 01:28 PM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
Mail him a box of tissues. My god it's not like you guys have spent 200 bucks on these little motors. Ive got three BP21's and one esc and all have been tested and work fine all the way up and down,7 volts to 11 volts.TOG did all of us brushless virgins a favor by introducing us to these. And for that I thank him.

TM
JAM is offline Find More Posts by JAM
Old Jan 16, 2005, 01:31 PM
ewo
Spencer In.USA
Joined Oct 2003
4,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tow Man
Mail him a box of tissues. My god it's not like you guys have spent 200 bucks on these little motors. Ive got three BP21's and one esc and all have been tested and work fine all the way up and down,7 volts to 11 volts.TOG did all of us brushless virgins a favor by introducing us to these. And for that I thank him.

TM
Ditto
But i aint no virgin

ewo
ewo is offline Find More Posts by ewo
Closed Thread