Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 21, 2013, 05:10 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,500 Posts
Alert
[Free v2.5 plans now] The Ultra Micro "SPARROW"

The V1 PDF Plans can be found in the attachments of this post This is the Sparrow that started everything, easy to build and it flies great, however it is a bit of an eye sore

The V2 PDF Plans can be found HERE This is the Sparrow that never was, skip to the v2.5 plans

The v2.5 PDF Plans can be found HERE These plans are the best to date

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::::

If you know me from other threads you know that I have had limited success with my scratch builds and designs in the past:

The Carbon Cub Panorama

Carbon Cub Panorama Maiden flight (3 min 7 sec)

The 3D Profile Mustang

The last flight of my 3D Profile UM Mustang with AS3X (3 min 16 sec)

There was the Profile P-38 as well but I haven't uploaded that vid yet

So anyway I had some left over depron off cuts laying around, UM electronics, and a sever case of boredom. Frustrated with my overly thought out scratch builds in the past, I just started sticking random bits of depron together and came up with what I have fondly dubbed the "SPARROW".

This plane was originally created to be a 3ch, (but I am thinking about adding flaps now) and built around the Parkzone UM 1s Warbird electronics with AS3X.

It Features:
  • Lots of dihedral
  • A center flat wing which also supports the main wings
  • 1s brushed motor
  • 300mAh 1s Nano-tech (25-30 mins run time)
  • 38g in the air
  • A little bit of under camber
  • 3ch operation
  • 1s UM receiver with built in servos and AS3X (which has been expertly programmed with the secret software that allows for fine tuning, AS3X on/off remotely, and the ability to create and save your own model configuration files)

Here is the maiden flight:

As you can see and much to my surprise it actually flies beautifully. It is actually pretty sporty for a 3ch

In the future I plan on adding some KFM2 airfoil plates to the wing tips and the elevated center wing. Also I might cover it in SMD LEDs for the perfect sommer nights we are having in Berlin at the moment..... And lastly I want to add flaps to it as well.

If there is little to any interest in this I can knock up some quick PDF plans. I'd love to see someone else build one of these. The Sparrow is actually rather lively for a 3ch but can be really docile too

valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Last edited by valiantGLX; Jul 30, 2013 at 09:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2013, 09:24 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,801 Posts
I like it!
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Old Jul 22, 2013, 04:54 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,500 Posts
Do you even lift Bro?????

Well it should now after I have added a flap and the KFm2 airfoil to the center section:

Flaps:

KFm2 Airfoil:

I guess I can technically call it a 4ch now

Old Jul 22, 2013, 05:31 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap View Post
I like it!
Thanks

I didn't put any effort at all in to the paint job (well permanent marker job), as I hope you can tell (not that any one thinks I spent hours on it and that's the best I can to ). I just needed a bit of colour on it to help with orientation. The whole thing is quite literally slapped together, but it is one of the best fliers that I have built yet.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 08:06 AM
Joined Nov 2011
27 Posts
Nice work!! Something diffrent always gets my intrest, waiting for plans!!!

Grzz
Swamppxxl is online now Find More Posts by Swamppxxl
Old Jul 22, 2013, 11:34 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,500 Posts
"The Night Sparrow"

I want to make the most out of these warm yet still summer evenings, so I added a light or 6

Made with:
  • 0.17mm copper enameled wire
  • 2x red 0603 SMD LEDs
  • 2x green 0603 SMD LEDs
  • 1x warm white 0603 SMD LED
  • 1x yellow 1206 SMD LED
  • 3x resistors
  • 1x UM servo plug

Old Jul 22, 2013, 11:44 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamppxxl View Post
Nice work!! Something diffrent always gets my intrest, waiting for plans!!!

Grzz
Thanks

When I draw up the plans should I make it look more like a sparrow, or should I make it exactly the same as it is in it's current form?
Old Jul 22, 2013, 04:37 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,500 Posts
So I took it for another flight tonight, here's the vid:

Here's the cash damage, it's not even really worth noting, but it is a good chance to show off how I mounted the motor:

Here are the AS3X settings I programmed in before the flight. During the maiden flight I noticed a bit of elevator gyro oscillation at full throttle, so I turned the elevator gyro gain down a notch:

With the extra weight it flies faster, and when I pull the flaps it slows down to about the same speed as flying slowly without the flaps installed. So all in all my first impression is that they are more trouble than they're worth. However I want to test them out a bit more before removing them.

The lights were awesome though, the video doesn't really do them justice

... And thanks to my AS3X programming the gyros are now really well behaved.

Last edited by valiantGLX; Jul 23, 2013 at 06:57 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 05:46 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,500 Posts
Here are the V1 Sparrow PDF Plans. These will make the Sparrow exactly the same as it has been featured in the previous posts.

It is really easy to build, and flies exceptionally well with the Parkzone 1s Warbird brushed electronics with AS3X.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 09:51 AM
Joined Nov 2011
27 Posts
Thanks for the plans!!! Lets see if i have some scrap depron laying arround.
Swamppxxl is online now Find More Posts by Swamppxxl
Old Jul 23, 2013, 03:34 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,500 Posts
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Sparrow V2 is HERE!!!!!

The Dimensions are very similar to the V1, but there are some noticeable changes.....

More organic birdlike appearance
More tail support
Slightly raised angle of attack
Inter locking top center section for extra rigidity
More finger room for hand launching
30mm more wingspan
Optional Crazy KFm2 airfoil
Optional side force generators
Slightly less elevator area (there was tonnes of elevator throw in the V1, almost too much)

Assembled and painted with all the optional parts would make this thing a work of art!!!

Please somebody build it, you might even beat me in being the first to fly the mighty "Sparrow" V2.

The thickness of the recommended depron, makes for a really durable build. However I would love to see one with a Sparrow completely made out of 2mm depron (it would truly be a weapon then, capable of hovering with the right prop).

If you are going to use the airfoils you should definitely use 2mm depron for the wing pieces F1/F2 and H1/H2.

The rudder (D), and top center section including elevator (E) could be made out of either 2mm or 3mm depron.

The optional side force generators should be made out of the thinnest foam available, thin foam packing trays would be sufficient here.

Find the PDFs below:
Old Jul 23, 2013, 03:49 PM
For flying out loud!
United Kingdom, Maidstone
Joined Sep 2012
736 Posts
I didnt think v1 could get much better but it did!!!
planemad man is online now Find More Posts by planemad man
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:46 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemad man View Post
I didnt think v1 could get much better but it did!!!
Thanks, I can't wait to see how well the plans translate onto the depron, I'm champin' at the bit to build one.

Hey guys I'm sick of referring to the V2 as well... the V2 I think it needs a new cool name.

So far I have:

The Sparrow
The Night Sparrow
......Needs a cool name......

Maybe the "Mighty Sparrow", or the "Sparrow Hawk, etc... etc... Does any one have any suggestions?
Old Jul 24, 2013, 04:10 PM
For flying out loud!
United Kingdom, Maidstone
Joined Sep 2012
736 Posts
heres my sugestion:

the cool name sparrow

planemad man is online now Find More Posts by planemad man
Old Jul 25, 2013, 08:04 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemad man View Post
heres my sugestion:

the cool name sparrow

Ok, done it's officially the name for the V2 now:

"The Cool Name Sparrow"

...... But I have a little update that I'm working on, a v2.5 so to speak! I will call this one the "KING OF SPARROWS"... or maybe not..... Hmmmm! "Sparrow King", or "Sparrow Prowler", or "Sparrow Stalker" (I like the use of alliteration in that one), or... or... I don't know??? I'm still open to suggestions