HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:45 PM
Joined Jan 2013
4 Posts
Discussion
Why isn't my motor drawing the voltage my battery supplies?

Here's the AdamOne caclulation of my setup, I plan to have two of these motors total:

What is the reason for the low voltage draw? When I reduce the pack size to 8 cells, which is still above 9.24V it's "currently" drawing, the voltage goes down to 8.6V and the current goes down 11.8 A give or take.

I want to utilize the full amps/voltage to get the most thrust out of thse two motors. I am open to another motor, nothing that will draw more than 16 A.

While I'm at it, does anyone know if I can reduce the current draw from a motor by putting a lower current rated ESC? Like a motor with a max current draw of 30A with a 25A ESC limiting the system to 25A?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm clearly a new guy. Thanks for your help!
JimmyKudo is offline Find More Posts by JimmyKudo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:31 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,197 Posts
Amp draw is determined by prop size.. in your computation, increase your prop size 'til you get to the amp draw you need (but stay within the motor's limit).

ESC's don't limit amps.. they let through what they are capable of letting through... exceed that and they fry.

The low current to the motor indicates that the pack cannot deliver what that calculator suggests is what the motor/prop would demand, without dropping voltage.

NiMh cells (1.2v-1.4v HOC) typically can maintain only about 1v under load... in the same way Lipo cells (4.2v HOC) will be at 3.5v-3.8v under load.
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:12 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyKudo View Post
What is the reason for the low voltage draw?
The calculator shows the following data:
Battery pack voltage = 12.5 volts
Cell Resistance = 0.022 ohms -- ten cells in parllel would be 0.22 ohms
ESC resistance = 0.0065 ohms
Motor current = 14.4 amps

The battery resistance and the ESC resistance are in series with the battery and the motor so the current through them is the same as the motor current and the voltage drop across them will be subtracted from the battery voltage. The voltage drop across the battery resistance and the ESC is calculated by multiplying their combined resistance by the current. So their combined voltage drop would be 0.2265 ohms x 14.4 amps = 3.26volts. Subtracting that from the 12.5 volts battery voltage leaves 9.24 volts to the motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyKudo View Post
When I reduce the pack size to 8 cells, which is still above 9.24V it's "currently" drawing, the voltage goes down to 8.6V and the current goes down 11.8 A give or take.
The same applies. with 8 cells battery voltage would be around 11 volts. 0.1825 ohms times 11.8 amps = 2.15 volts leaving 8.6 volts or so to the motor.

As long as the motor is drawing current the voltage being applied to it will always be lower than the battery full voltage because of these series resistances. The higher the current, the greater the difference and the higher the battery and ESC resistances, the greater the difference.

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:49 PM
Joined Jan 2013
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kiwi View Post
Amp draw is determined by prop size.. in your computation, increase your prop size 'til you get to the amp draw you need (but stay within the motor's limit).

ESC's don't limit amps.. they let through what they are capable of letting through... exceed that and they fry.

The low current to the motor indicates that the pack cannot deliver what that calculator suggests is what the motor/prop would demand, without dropping voltage.

NiMh cells (1.2v-1.4v HOC) typically can maintain only about 1v under load... in the same way Lipo cells (4.2v HOC) will be at 3.5v-3.8v under load.
Thanks for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnagel View Post
The calculator shows the following data:
Battery pack voltage = 12.5 volts
ESC resistance = 0.0065 ohms
Motor current = 14.4 amps

The battery resistance and the ESC resistance are in series with the battery and the motor so the current through them is the same as the motor current and the voltage drop across them will be subtracted from the battery voltage. The voltage drop across the battery resistance and the ESC is calculated by multiplying their combined resistance by the current. So their combined voltage drop would be 0.2265 ohms x 14.4 amps = 3.26volts. Subtracting that from the 12.5 volts battery voltage leaves 9.24 volts to the motor.

The same applies. with 8 cells battery voltage would be around 11 volts. 0.1825 ohms times 11.8 amps = 2.15 volts leaving 8.6 volts or so to the motor.

As long as the motor is drawing current the voltage being applied to it will always be lower than the battery full voltage because of these series resistances. The higher the current, the greater the difference and the higher the battery and ESC resistances, the greater the difference.

Larry
Thank you for the clarification Larry; I'll keep resistances in mind when shopping for ESC's and batteries, if that even applies. Much appreciated!
JimmyKudo is offline Find More Posts by JimmyKudo
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:12 PM
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,369 Posts
Quote:
Larry
Ten cells in parallel would actually be 0.0022 Ohms.
Martyn McKinney is offline Find More Posts by Martyn McKinney
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:16 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn McKinney View Post
Ten cells in parallel would actually be 0.0022 Ohms.
If they were lipo cells they would be hooked up in some sort of series/parallel configuration to get 12.5 volts. As such the resistance would be somewhere between 0.0002 ohms and 0.22 ohms. However, they are 1800 mah NiMH. The only way to get 12.5 volts from those would be to hook them up in series giving a total of 0.22 ohms.

Larry
Last edited by Lnagel; Feb 02, 2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:46 PM
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,369 Posts
My intent in posting was to correct the information shown in the quote below which was given to the original poster and is clearly incorrect.
Quote:
ten cells in parllel would be 0.22 ohms
Larry
A corrected statement would read "ten cells in SERIES would be 0.22 ohms"
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:55 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,719 Posts
Ah, I missed that. Thanks. But it might have been better to point out in the first place that I had typed parallel rather than series.

Larry
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:12 PM
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,369 Posts
Quote:
But it might have been better to point out in the first place that I had typed parallel rather than series.

Larry
I had a 50-50 chance in trying to determine whether your math was incorrect or your spelling and definition of parallel and series was incorrect.

It would appear from your response that I initially chose the wrong one.
Quote:
ten cells in parllel would be 0.22 ohms
Larry
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:16 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,719 Posts
Not only did I use the wrong word, but it appears that I misspelled parallel.

Larry
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:25 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,191 Posts
Jeez. What are we gonna DO with you guys?

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:34 PM
Love my Raven's!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,048 Posts
Carefull you guys don't go way over the OP's head here with all the talk about resistance, etc
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:38 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,719 Posts
It's hard to tell whether or not we are over his head when we don't know how tall he is.

Larry
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:46 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2010
1,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kiwi View Post
Plenty of ESCs have a soft cut (power reduction) on current overload. Usually combined with a hard cut (power off) if a large overload is detected.

Even the cheap hobbyking ones are supposed to have that, never actually overloaded one to check though.
desertstalker is offline Find More Posts by desertstalker
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:18 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstalker View Post
Plenty of ESCs have a soft cut (power reduction) on current overload. Usually combined with a hard cut (power off) if a large overload is detected.

Even the cheap hobbyking ones are supposed to have that, never actually overloaded one to check though.
That's fine if the ESC's maximum current is less than what the motor is trying to draw. But it isn't going to help a 30 amp motor propped to draw 40 amps being controlled by a 50 amp ESC.

Larry