HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:20 AM
Joined Jun 2010
288 Posts
Discussion
Flying wings?

I know just enough about conventional airplanes and what controls what to figure things out. Wings I know zilch.

I'm thing about buying a Mulitplez Xeno wing . Just looking at it it looks like the fin area is too small and inboard on top of it. A search of owners brings up a question of stability at very low speeds. Probably made worse when the motor is turned off as in landing.

I wonder what happens if you add vertical tips to the ends of flying wings? A lot, if not most wings have huge vertical tips at the wing ends. I had a Zagi years ago that had this feature and it had no low speed problems.

Anybody try this or can guess what happens if you make the tips to large?

" Modification always lead to grief" is an excellent thing to not to ignore but it sure is a lot of fun.
Aaron 1 is offline Find More Posts by Aaron 1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:49 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,214 Posts
I'd suggest flying it first. If you notice a slow speed fall off or hunting around then add some small tip plates.

You certainly do not need to add a huge amount of area. Even just 2 or 3 sq inches of area at the tips or making the stock fins bigger and extending them further behind the trailing edge would be enough.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Jun 24, 2012, 05:06 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,873 Posts
Aaron1, this thread may be worth a read - Models with no vertical stabs.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray