HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2012, 02:55 PM
Joined Mar 2007
175 Posts
Discussion
DX7 and DX5 buddy box ?

I have a DX7 and a DX5. I want to teach my GF to fly and was wondering about the buddy cord issue. Will the two radios work together? And do I have to bind both radios to the RX or just the DX7?
fireplug1111 is offline Find More Posts by fireplug1111
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2012, 03:53 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,258 Posts
Assuming you mean a DX5e then yes they will work together provided you use the correct buddy cord and not just some old audio lead you have lying around .

The master TX (used by the instructor) is the only one that is bound to the RX.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old May 15, 2012, 02:49 PM
Joined Apr 2009
66 Posts
DX7s and DX5 buddy box stops working

I am experiencing the buddy box function going dead if the master radio [DX7s] is switched off then back on with the buddy box cord connected. If I pull the cable out of the master when I turn it off, then re-insert it when I power up to fly, it always works. I am trying to find out my DX7s is defective or they are all that way. Also , the trainer function is in the SYSTEM menu, the manual shows it in the FUNCTION menu.
Another hitch, the jack on the back of the DX5 is very tight, be sure the cord is plugged in all the way. We missed this because it felt like it was in when it was not.
BOBHEND is offline Find More Posts by BOBHEND
Old May 15, 2012, 02:59 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireplug1111 View Post
I have a DX7 and a DX5. I want to teach my GF to fly and was wondering about the buddy cord issue. Will the two radios work together? And do I have to bind both radios to the RX or just the DX7?
It's impossible to have a 2.4 receiver bound to two transmitters. That's what 2.4 is all about! In the buddy box situation, only the master transmitter is transmitting and the receiver is bound to it.

The student transmitter must be turned OFF. Plugging in the cable turns on just the encoder section, so that when the trainer switch is pushed on the master TX it transfers control to the encoder of the student's transmitter.

By the way, it's best to use a proper trainer cable, rather than trying to use an audio cable. Mono audio cables sometimes work but quite often they don't fit properly, which can cause all sorts of problems. JR/Spektrum trainer cables can be had for under $10 (Expert brand from Horizon, for example).
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66