Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 27, 2012, 07:19 AM
Joined Feb 2012
53 Posts
Discussion
Mini CP vs mCPx v2 vs Solo Pro 100 vs Genius CP

EDIT: I added the Solo Pro 125 to the comparison (suggested by Zoide), which is seemingly on par with the Mini CP.
-----
Opinions of any one of these, pros and cons (fragile, underpowered, super responsive), problems had(motor blew, tail can't keep up), which one you prefer overall, which one you fly more often, etc...

These are the ballpark prices for a RTF model with the cheapest radio

OLDEST->
Solo Pro 100 w/ J6 PRO--> around $140

mCPx v2 w/ DX4e -> $220

Genius CP w/ Devo 7 -> $150-$170

mini CP w/ Devo 7 -> $200

Solo Pro 125 -> $160
<-NEWEST

Apart from being the newest, why would one opt for a mini CP instead of the much cheaper yet still pretty capable Solo Pro 100? Please give your opinions on each model

Thank you
Marioinc is offline Find More Posts by Marioinc
Last edited by Marioinc; Feb 28, 2012 at 04:26 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2012, 08:04 AM
Joined Oct 2011
189 Posts
Solo pro 100 is trash, swashplate breaks easy tail doesent hold well landing skid very flimsy. Don't waste your money.

Had a v1 mcpx tail didn't hold that well a bit underpowered servos not that precise need regular maintenance but very durable v2 tail is meant
To hold better.

Genius cp flies very well stock real servos feel precise but gears strip in crash.
Not as durable as mcpx but flies much better

Mini cp is definately the best plenty of power stock very durable tail holds rock solid and is very stable.
I only fly my mini cp mcpx has been handed to my nephew to learn to fly.

Spend the extra and buy the mini cp. If you areplanning to stick with walkera invest in a devo 8s or 11s if you want to use spektrum for most of your helis planes etc devo 7 is fine for a extra radio to use with walkera stuff
achogg33 is offline Find More Posts by achogg33
Last edited by achogg33; Feb 27, 2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:14 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,348 Posts
I have the MCPx and Genius with the Devo 7. If you are a casual or sport flyer, you aren't going to notice much difference. However, the MCPx really works much better with a DX6i and Walkera Devo 7 is not easy to program. So when you add a decent transmitter to any of these helis, the cost goes up quite a lot. The most notable thing I've observed is battery life is very short on the Genius.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:06 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,135 Posts
I just want to add that however cumbersome the Devo 7, it is still infinitely better than DX4e. Not only is the DX4e not programmable, its quality is very poor as well. You cannot use it to tame down the MCPx to make it suitable for beginners. Therefore, you have to price in an extra $150 for the DX6i (total price=$330) in order to make a valid comparison to the Genius and Mini CP.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:19 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,348 Posts
I agree about the DX4e, but most people are not going to be happy with the Devo 7. I'm probably going to replace mine with the Devo 6 or 8.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:56 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Out of that line up the miniCP is the best...by far

It is turning out too be more durable than I thought after loosening the shaft collar to allow slip in a crash. Before that the servos seemed fragle so the mcpx had my vote for servo durability. You can even do a sero arm mod to make the servos last even longer.

It has a better gyro than anything out on the market for sub 120 size. It flies very sim like and leaps better than my genius and all the mcpx's I had. It has more power stock than my brushless c05 mcpx and faster tail rate.

I can wrecklessly toss the mini cp around because it is super stable in all orientations it almost can recover from whatever my dumb thumbs do

minicp with crash (1 min 53 sec)

MiniCP Inverted flight (2 min 29 sec)

Balr I have a devo8 like new if you are interested as I moved up to the 12
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Feb 27, 2012, 01:08 PM
Crash Dummy
United States, CA, South Lake Tahoe
Joined Mar 2009
29 Posts
EDIT: indoorheli answered my question as I was typing.

I just ordered the mini from wow. My question now relates to brushless motors.

I have the Turbo Ace 31714 inrunner, along with various pinions, from 12t to 20t. I intend to try to use it along with the 2.9g tail, and the 4g3 esc's. I think my pinions are m .5 or whatever the 4g3 pinions were. If anyone has some input on this, please feel free to share.

thanks
filthBOX is offline Find More Posts by filthBOX
Last edited by filthBOX; Feb 27, 2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:32 PM
Joined Feb 2008
143 Posts
What about adding the Nine Eagles Solo Pro 125 to the comparison?

It's looking pretty good:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1555704
Zoide is offline Find More Posts by Zoide
Old Feb 28, 2012, 04:18 AM
Joined Feb 2012
53 Posts
Thanks zoide i'll add it in. People seem to say its even better than the mini cp (apart from the tx), so withthe cheaper price i might just getthat one instead.

Thoughts anyone?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 04:45 AM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioinc View Post
Thanks zoide i'll add it in. People seem to say its even better than the mini cp (apart from the tx), so withthe cheaper price i might just getthat one instead.

Thoughts anyone?
I think I read that one person said that he liked the way the solopro 125 flipped better, but he admitted he had only flown the mini a few times and didn't have the settings dialed in. He also inferred the tail hold on the solopro 125 wasn't as good as the mini.

Several months later if the solo pro 125 is proven then I might pick one up, but for now absolutely sticking with my mini. Don't know much about NE, but I'm guessing their tx will suck and not be compatible with any other NE models. So likely money wasted there. Taking that into consideration the solo pro 125 would have to be really kick a$$ for me to consider.

If you're worried about the mini flipping in a tight space watch indoorheli's videos.

*edit* I just watched the pre-production vids and the solo pro 125 has the layout of the genius, so I suspect it is indeed susceptible to tail blow outs...no thank you.
bytemuncher is offline Find More Posts by bytemuncher
Last edited by bytemuncher; Feb 28, 2012 at 04:55 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:20 PM
Joined Feb 2012
53 Posts
I guess i'm still going to go with the Mini CP, but still for the price they sell that solo pro 125 it's really worth considering...

But at the end of the day, you get what you pay for...
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:33 PM
Joined Feb 2012
21 Posts
Blade mcpx has my vote!

I've owned my Blade mcpx v2 for 27 days and 90 flight later I'm allmost sure it's indestructible being i've crashed it in the wall, road, side walk and field and I've put $12.00 worth of parts into it and now I'm strapping 550mah batteries to it and 10 minute flight I'm super impressed and before this I started with a Blade MCX but have a background in RC planes for 20 years.

This has taken me from ground sliding all over my house to outside flight and it almost flies better in a wind. No 3D yet but I've seen how gentle it tumbles out of the air to the ground pick it up and keep on flying Amazing is all I can say!

An now that I've got Expo and my swash centered with the DX4e it's not bad but when I can the DX6i is in my future then look out!

MCPX hands down!
Jeromya is offline Find More Posts by Jeromya
Last edited by Jeromya; Feb 28, 2012 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:11 AM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Jeromya it is great you are having so much fun and a great learning curve with the mcpx. It is a great little heli and I learned quite a bit on them myself. The dx6 will make such a difference in the heli's feel if you can get that tx soon. It is very nice to have all the programing options it offers.

If you get a chance try the minicp it is a lot more stable then the mcpx and for normal servos surprisingly durable. I can hover within an inch of the ground inverted with the mini as it just locks in which is something I would have never tried without a heli as durable as these new micro heli's
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:24 AM
Perpetually covered in resin
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2011
555 Posts
I really cant imagine anyone suggesting the MCPX over the Mini CP thats flown both.
I can understand praising the MCPX and saying it flies good but unless youve flown thr MCP its hard to suggest the blade OVER it.
Its insane how well the MCP flies. Battery life is my only real issue with it and thats remedied easily. Then again I gave my MCPX and DX6i away when I got my Genius and Devo 6 so im sure you can imagine how I feel about the Mini CP and Devo 12S compared to it.
We can complain that Walkera obsoletes their top models with a new one months later but its hard to get too upset when they keep making them so much better.

Devo 12S + Mini CP and V120D02S = most fun ever at the park with all the other micro fliers standing around watching and drooling with their MCPXs in their hands (at least in my experience)
RawmadeCF is offline Find More Posts by RawmadeCF
Old Feb 29, 2012, 01:04 AM
United States, CA, Cerritos
Joined Jan 2012
75 Posts
+1 for the mini cp. I had my mcpx for a month before I got the mini and I must say that I could immediately tell that the mini flys more stable. Plus, my devo 6 is leaps and bounds better than my dx6i. Not to put down the mcpx though, it is still a great bird and is the only thing I will be flying until I get my mini's rx fixed.
Not sure about the solo pro, but I know that if you want to fly now you have two great options.
superglued is offline Find More Posts by superglued