HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2012, 06:20 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
4,008 Posts
Discussion
Pylob racing. where? how to start?

Well, first off how can you take me seriously with a typo in the headline?! I obviously meant to type pylon, however my phone thought otherwise!

So, here it is! Im relatively new to F5D,

But I'm not new to controlling fast moving projectiles.

How does one get into racing? and is there a forum, or website that lists races or areas to race? I'm okay with having to drive a couple hours from Tucson AZ if i could find some races! but I dont even know where to start! I'm no looking for a national series or anything crazy, just a way to find out if there is anything anywhere remotely close!
Jwmflying14 is offline Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
Last edited by Jwmflying14; Jan 01, 2012 at 06:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2012, 10:18 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,644 Posts
Not much to add here except I was wondering the same thing. Flying Rifles, then a Sunracer, now saving for a Viper. Have aspirations to compete in F5D, but probably just a dream. Should probably start out with electric F1 or some other discipline first anyway.

Well, be interesting to read what any of the F5D guys say.

Tim
KRProton is online now Find More Posts by KRProton
Last edited by KRProton; Jan 01, 2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2012, 10:27 PM
Joined Nov 2010
4,008 Posts
Exactly! I'm not exactly saying it has to be F5D, just some pylon racing in general! Being into racing my whole life I need something to keep me going! I'm currently stationed in AZ and don't have a means of racing bikes, motorcycles or karts anymore! I've also attended Reno every year of my life even when I was just 4 months old. This is my life and hobby, just want some form of competition rather than showing off at the club.
Old Jan 02, 2012, 09:18 AM
Valdese NC
Joined May 2004
370 Posts
JWM, Don't know how far from Phoenix you are but the grand daddy of all pylon races will be in AZ next month. I would guess there will even be some EF-1 stuff going on but mostly the nitro classes of Q500 and Q40.

As far as entry level goes EF-1 or Q500 with a .25FX and Club 40 are good places to get started without breaking the bank.
vic welland is offline Find More Posts by vic welland
Old Jan 02, 2012, 11:20 AM
Joined Nov 2010
4,008 Posts
I'm not big on nitro or fuel planes anymore, too much hassle. I just want to zoom around a track conpeting with other electrics
Old Jan 02, 2012, 02:28 PM
Valdese NC
Joined May 2004
370 Posts
Sounds like EF-1 is the event for you! The planes look great, fly very well and are pretty fast. It also looks like more of the big races are starting to include it as a class.
vic welland is offline Find More Posts by vic welland