HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:37 AM
Joined Mar 2009
212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasus.pony View Post
Nice job Brett.C!
But I'm also thinking that John Gosney's Ryan may be one of those converted to use a Fairchild 6-cylinder engine. In some of these shots the cowling/engine cover looks a little longer than standard and the engine exhaust arrangement is different.
2 X 3-into-1 set-up. There's small company in the San Fran., CA area (Santa Paula) that does the conversions.
Cheers!
Yes, I'm pretty sure you are right. In one of the shots you can see the very front of the engine through the cowl air intake. Visible is the vertical drive that turns the overhead camshaft. That's peculiar to a (Fairchild) Ranger engine. The Menasco is a pushrod engine. And you are also right that the exhaust is more peculiar to a Ranger. Menascos usually have 4 short stacks.

Now, is this an STA airframe with a Ranger engine or is it a converted PT-22 ? I'm not sure. The wings don't seem to have any sweepback, but I don't know if the sweepback was taken out on the conversions. That would be a pretty major mod.

Information update: I found a website listing all existing Ryan ST, STA, STM. Gosney's airplane is listed as S/N 151, making it an STA. So it really is a Sport Trainer, just with the Ranger engine mod.

Dick
otrcman is offline Find More Posts by otrcman
Last edited by otrcman; Dec 28, 2012 at 08:47 AM. Reason: new information
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:04 PM
United States, TN, Knox
Joined Sep 2011
126 Posts
Good info., Dick! Thanks!
pegasus.pony is offline Find More Posts by pegasus.pony
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:47 PM
United States, TN, Knox
Joined Sep 2011
126 Posts
Good info, Dick!

Thanks!
Heres'a pic of one conversion.

Cheers!
pegasus.pony is offline Find More Posts by pegasus.pony
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:29 PM
Foam is where the heart is
Australia, NSW, Como
Joined Aug 2010
2,221 Posts
That longer nose would sure help solve the cg issue with this model.

One thing I like about flying this plane is the rudder control. It's unlike any other scale type plane that I've flown. You can do the best flat turns and even some nice opposite bank turns. And it does great knife edges with almost no elevator coupling.

Strangely though I find it hard to do a clean loop, but that's probably just me mixing in too much aileron on the right stick.

Landings can be a bit tricky, you really need to fly it in for a three pointer to stop it either bouncing back up or nosing over.

A flying buddy has the balsa version from hobbyking. Similar size but slightly wider wing and longer fuse. And its very heavy in comparison. Seems to fly ok though, even with a heavier 2200 battery.
brett.c is offline Find More Posts by brett.c
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:04 PM
David
San Francisco, CA
Joined Sep 2004
648 Posts
I've read the comments about the high auw on this plane. Would it be inadvisable to put on floats and fly this plane off water? Thanks for any opinions.

David
dno264 is offline Find More Posts by dno264
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Alfa Airacobra
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:30 AM
Australia, NSW, Como
Joined Aug 2010
2,221 Posts
The plastic spats and wheels probably weigh a bit anyway so some foam floats wouldn't be too bad.

Be sure to report back and post some pics if you go ahead.

Btw, this plane does some great flat spins. Only problem is that its hard to pull out of one. Spun mine down to perfect 3 pointer the other day and the only damage was a wing brace popped off. Tough bird
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:11 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,600 Posts
I just finished my build tonight. Moved the ESC down below and forward, as others have done, and added enough ballast to get the CG to around 42mm. Using a 3S 1300. Also added a cooling air outlet hole at the back end of the cowl. AUW is around 26 oz

Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite Allusive 2.2M
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:44 PM
Australia, NSW, Como
Joined Aug 2010
2,221 Posts
I have my cg as far back as 50mm now and the plane doesn't seem at all pitchy.
Though she does fly with a slight nose up attitude. Might try a bit of down thrust or move the cg forward a little.

Speaking of thrust I tried a couple different prop combos to see if I can get some improvement that department.

Using a 1300 3s nano at storage capacity (11.4v) I got 530grams for the stock prop, 680grams for the APC9x6 and 720grams for a SF9x3.8.
I repeated the test 3 times and got the same differential between them.

The SF prop seemed, to my ear at least, to give higher rpm's. Perhaps the 9x6 has too much bite for this little motor. I didn't bother doing a current test to confirm this.

Anyway, I'll test it with the 9x3.8 this weekend.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:34 AM
David
San Francisco, CA
Joined Sep 2004
648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajora View Post
I just finished my build tonight. Moved the ESC down below and forward, as others have done, and added enough ballast to get the CG to around 42mm. Using a 3S 1300. Also added a cooling air outlet hole at the back end of the cowl. AUW is around 26 oz

Jon -- Can you post your assessment after your maiden? By the wqy, very nice photo too.

David
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:08 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,600 Posts
David, if everything goes as planned, the full review should be in an upcoming issue of FlyRC magazine.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:39 PM
David
San Francisco, CA
Joined Sep 2004
648 Posts
Will you post it on your website, hdflyer, too?

David

p.s. Is it really that shade of blue or was it enhanced? Thanks
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:35 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dno264 View Post
will you post it on your website, hdflyer, too?

David

i have the exact same ryan-there's nothing enhanced about that shade of blue-real snappy on the eyes ,eh?:d
kevin whitesell is offline Find More Posts by kevin whitesell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-Flite Hurricane
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:40 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dno264 View Post
Will you post it on your website, hdflyer, too?

David

David,

We may run an article after the magazine goes to press. We usually shoot way more photos than can be used in print and can post a bunch of them after we see what goes in the article.

As for the color blue, my studio shots are on a white background and that typically helps the camera get a pretty honest read on the colors. I should have some flight shots soon and will drop a few here so you can see what the color looks like out of doors in the sky.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:46 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,600 Posts
Here is a photo of mine on its maiden a short while ago. It was pretty late in the day and the skies were a little gloomy with some rain moving in.

RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:23 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fravits View Post
Interesting, as I have found no problem with tip stalls flaps down. I fly around with the flaps at a about 25/30 degrees most of the time simply to keep the speed at something resembling scale. That includes steep banks low and slow, too. No problems so far. On the other hand, I have managed to get a bit slow during aerobatics and snapped and fallen out of a few loops....
This is a long running thread and glad too ... as I keep looking at this model as it is offered on Sale basis ...

Tipstall - now there's a term that is misused so much ...

It actually refers to a condition where Tip is stalled due to angle of attack and loss of lift ... causing the aircraft to fall to that side rolling as it goes ... ME109 and Spitfire were famous for it. Washout is built into wings to reduce AoA at tips and have wing root stall first.

Brings us to Flaps ... using flaps increases AoA at ROOT of wing not tip ... so how can use of Flaps cause Tipstall ?

The fact is ... flaps do not create or instigate Tipstall ... what they may do is create a situation of excessive drag and slow the aircraft down such that it just falls out of the sky. It's not even a classic stall ...

The common mistake is to slow down, dial in flaps, fail to add a touch of throttle to compensate for increased drag .. result ... she falls ... (assuming that little or no prop thrust at the time). another common effect is on application of flaps and a little bit too much speed - craft pitches up with the increased lift AoA .. throttle is killed ... drag takes over ... down she goes ... The common kangaroo style flight path then ...

Just thought I'd comment ... no doubt someone will disagree !

anyway a cracking looking model and still has my eye ... mmmmm too many models wanted ... too many to choose from ...

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Last edited by solentlife; Jan 22, 2013 at 11:29 PM.