Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:29 PM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Län, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Honda View Post
I agree 100% !!!

When the P20 came out... I thought... I NEED ONE !!!!! but after I sat back, and thought about it... it really is too small for most 90mm airframes. I saw a P-20 in a 90mm ViperJet... and it took a long time (for it's size) to get off the runway. And... to put it in a smaller model (like a Habu) it's a VERY tight installation.

The Kolibri engines are absolutely beautiful, but unless you want to put it on a "Hand Launch" model... they are too small too. (and in the USA they are crazy epensive. +$3500)

I have a Wren 44, and it's a MOSNTER in a 90mm airframe. I have one in a CMP T-45. I have it turned down to about 8Lbs of thrust, and it will jump off of a paved runway in about 80'. Grass it's too much longer. Since I have it turned down... this is why I think a 35n engine would be perfect. Not to mention... an engine designed to be 35n will be a few oz lighter... and I could carry less fuel. So... if Jet Munt would release the M35 (or if Hobby king would make one, but the one in the vid looked too big).... I would think the same model would be a full 3/4 Lb lighter on take-off.... and at least 4~5 oz lighter on landing.

FYI... hobby king sells this same kit, with the 2010 show paint. (Britt flag version)

[MG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v94/Tony4aro/RC%20Parts/photo_zps4af09a0d.jpg[/IMG]

[MG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v94/Tony4aro/RC%20Parts/P9172076_zps3eec026d.jpg[/IMG]
I agree with the price of the Lambert beeing high, but for me I'm happy (sort of) to pay for something that do work. I now own three T25's, not because I like to waste money but as they work so darn well. Running perfect on diesel fuel

Jets munt said their engine would produce 4kg of thrust when finnished, but it looked exactly the same as one year ago.

Well, we'll see what HK comes up with. If they can do a 35N engine in P20 size and weight it would be good.(but as I mentioned before I doubt it)
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:51 AM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,002 Posts
Producing a reliable running small engine is very difficult it would not be clever for HK to go down that road just yet.

Gasper at Jet Munt is a very clever turbine Guy and he still is not happy yet to put the M35 on sale, and from what I am lead to believe this turbine is John wrights Sprite design who is another very clever turbine guy, so if two very highly experienced turbine gurus are spending a lot of time getting it produced at a high enough standard for sale, there is no hope for HK.

JetJoe decided to produce a small one called the JJ JR which is meant to be a lambert copy but very few people have had any long time success with it.
These small turbines run at 250,000rpm The engineering/manufacture has to be 100% otherwise it is just going to blow up.
xairflyer is online now Find More Posts by xairflyer
Old Oct 18, 2012, 03:36 PM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xairflyer View Post
JetJoe decided to produce a small one called the JJ JR
Jetjoe has been around for a hile now, but he is a lost case as he doesn't learn. Even copying others designs he can't do properly

I think I have mentioned it before, HK just have to become the best turbine maker around very fast if they are to survive.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:26 AM
Too many numbers
United States, OH, Troy
Joined Oct 2010
1,737 Posts
I think HK is big enough to survive regardless of how their turbine performs. But I understand your point- if their turbine is junk, nobody will buy it. I'd just like to see the damn thing run...
c131frdave is offline Find More Posts by c131frdave
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:25 PM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by henke View Post
Adding a Kolibri powerd Schübeler Hawk (90mm EDF version) as a reference. German engine + German airframe does pretty cool things. Not cheap but worth the money as it works so well.

Hawk.MOV (0 min 9 sec)
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:28 PM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c131frdave View Post
But I understand your point- if their turbine is junk, nobody will buy it
That would be no problem, but I see a scenario where people buy a turibne without haveing the knowlege needed just because it doesn't cost a month salary any more.

I'm very happy to se competitors pop up, but I don't like when someone sells something that doesn't do what the label says (like jetjoe)
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:53 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,035 Posts
We wont know until someone actually test it. Dont hold your breath for that clown they gave it to. All he wants to do is bump his web hits.

Way back in the begging.. Anthony Hand did say that the major components would be German made. If this is a JJ clone.. then maybe they have solved the problems by upgrading to the German parts.

What I do find suspicious from HK is that you would think they would have set up a service network long.....before the engines were ready. Why all the stalling?

I havnt said no to buying one of these engines yet.. but I sure aint going to be no bata tester
vettster is offline Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Im selling my 220mph jet
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:18 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettster View Post
If this is a JJ clone.. then maybe they have solved the problems by upgrading to the German parts.
If you are thinking of the Jetjoe 1400 it's a Wren MW54 colone and would need UK parts.

And the Jetjoe junior is a Lambert copy and would need Lambert parts if it were to be manufactured by German parts... that is NOT happening.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:38 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,035 Posts
Dont know what Im thinking or what they might be.. Just saying that the parts are supposed to be from Germany
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:27 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettster View Post
Dont know what Im thinking or what they might be.. Just saying that the parts are supposed to be from Germany
Yeah, I know. But when you break it down the HK statement makes no sense. There really are no part in a turbine that needs more care then the cheap outrunners to make, however the design is critical and final assembly with the ballancing routine.

Will be intresting to see what they come up with. If Bruce recived a true HK turbine they haven't managed to get it running in several months... Even reading alot about Bruce I assume he is not THAT much behind so that he haven't tried starting it.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:42 AM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,198 Posts
"There really are no part in a turbine that needs more care then the cheap outrunners to make"
You are joking I hope...I have never seen a out runner that spins at close to 200k rpm and is 600 plus degree temp
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:01 PM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut View Post
"There really are no part in a turbine that needs more care then the cheap outrunners to make"
You are joking I hope...I have never seen a out runner that spins at close to 200k rpm and is 600 plus degree temp
It's no joke. Think about it :-) the compressor is a stock turbo charger part, the turbine is casted in incornel. The magic part is really balancing the final product and ofcause have a good design and proper education of the guys assembling the parts. Balancing and assembly + QC is where I think the HK engine will run in short.

If you can make this outrunner, you can make the turbine parts :-)

Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:29 PM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,198 Posts
Not all compressors are stock turbo parts...just because you can machine a part doesnt say you can do it well.. the quality of the materials is by far the first most important part of any turbine...then you need to be able to maintain tollarances to a fair level. I can design and build a outrunner on my shop smith in my garrage..no way can i do a turbine of any real quality at my level...it is just not the same..if it was everybody would be flying a jet joe turbine...they have proven that allready..you are way oversimplifying..its just not going to work that way
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:53 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,035 Posts
The quality of the material/parts has to be top notch or there will be problems. I recall a picture of a JJ someone posted on RCU of the nut that holds the turbine wheel on. It was OVAL! This is the kind of thing HK has to avoid. Use quality materials and parts and all will most likly be ok.

I 100% agree that the balancing is very important. I cant imagine that HK would cut that corner.

They better not!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:06 PM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,002 Posts
There is nothing wrong nowadays with JetJoe parts you just need to know how to put them together and balance it. If I had a brand new JJ1400 first thing I would do is take it apart then rebuild it and do a proper balance, I would be happy it will run perfect after that.
xairflyer is online now Find More Posts by xairflyer