techone malibu 2 or techone aeolus?

which do you think will fly better f3p?
genesis96 is offline Find More Posts by genesis96
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2011, 08:40 AM
Warsaw & Gdynia, Poland
Joined Sep 2005
199 Posts
Malibu is a copy of a well known airframe- CLIK so it should fly nice. Aeolus is quite good in flying, but they all have the same disadvantage (techone models)- they are extremely heavy. The depron thickness varies also...
Boogie3D is offline Find More Posts by Boogie3D
Old Jan 01, 2011, 09:33 AM
Espaņa, Comunidad Valenciana, Valencia
Joined May 2010
48 Posts
thanks
Old Jan 01, 2011, 02:19 PM
Foam alone.
Portsmouth England
Joined Feb 2005
572 Posts
I recently purchased a Galaxy, which is a re-printed version of the Malibu 2 made by Techone for Hobbyking: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=11342 Test flew it last week for the first time and must say I was impressed. Tracks well, KE is almost hands off and it can be flown really quite slowly - and I haven't even bothered fitting the drag brakes yet! The printing/skin is quite thick and heavy, but I still managed to get it down to respectable 120grms, by junking the motor mount, plastic reinforcements etc.

Not had the opportunity to try a Aeolus, but looks like it fly's well if you do fancy going for a bi-plane:
TechOne AEOLUS F3P ARF (4 min 22 sec)

Gary
garyholland is offline Find More Posts by garyholland
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hedge Bothering
Old Jan 01, 2011, 10:41 PM
Joined May 2010
48 Posts
i´ve tried a lot of 3d planes but never flight f3p iI think the aeolus will be more stable but I saw that is so heavy for a f3p and the malibu looks like my piaget so i think it will fly good.

I saw them for a good price with a tiger motor and propeller here:

http://www.modellhobby.de/Models/Mod...=130&c=62&p=62
Old Jan 02, 2011, 10:23 AM
Foam's Law
Joined Nov 2004
192 Posts
Genesis96, as Gaz says the HK version is identical to the Malibu 2 other than colour scheme. Also comes with a motor and prop.

Try HobbyKing DE warehouse:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15400
Davross is offline Find More Posts by Davross
Old Jan 02, 2011, 11:49 PM
Joined May 2010
48 Posts
thanks and its cheaper in the DE warehouse
but the motor that comes its powerful or not
Old Jan 03, 2011, 01:01 AM
Foam alone.
Portsmouth England
Joined Feb 2005
572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis96 View Post
thanks and its cheaper in the DE warehouse
but the motor that comes its powerful or not
More than enough for F3P
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2011, 06:22 AM
Joined May 2010
48 Posts
ok and with a 2s 350mah battery how about the weight
Old Jan 03, 2011, 07:20 AM
Foam alone.
Portsmouth England
Joined Feb 2005
572 Posts
As I said previously, junk the motor mount for a start and glue the motor directly to the depron with POR. Also don't bother with all the plastic reinforcement, wheels etc. With some careful building, I managed to get mine down to 141 grms rtf with a 2S 350 pack
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2011, 12:07 PM
Warsaw & Gdynia, Poland
Joined Sep 2005
199 Posts
Use carbon rods to stiffen the fuselage instead of depron sides angled 45 degrees. It saves a couple of grams. You can use a dymond 47 for the ailerons to make things lighter.

I was flying that aeolus in the video. I am not a big fan of biplanes, because they are very fragile, when you compare them with monoplanes. If you wouldn't build it stock and keep it as light as possible it's another airframe of choice.
Boogie3D is offline Find More Posts by Boogie3D
Old Jan 04, 2011, 12:56 AM
Joined May 2010
48 Posts
and how about the flight time
Old Jan 07, 2011, 04:49 PM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,107 Posts
Hi,

I have a Malibu 2. It flies good. I have two friends that have Malibu 2 also and they are both happy with it's performance. One of them has even two Malibu 2 and one of them he tried to make as light as possible and if I remember the weight was about 100 gram ready to fly without battery. I use Hacker A10-15-S and GWS 8 x 4,3 Slow Fly prop on mine.

/Bo
bossee is online now Find More Posts by bossee
Old Jan 09, 2011, 10:02 PM
Fly it like you stole it
Joined Feb 2007
172 Posts
I have the Malibu 2 and the Aeolus,
The Aeolus flies pretty good, mine weighs in at 6.0 ounces, it flies better than I thought it would. I didn't build it as light as I could, because I thought it would be good for just a knockaround plane and not a precision machine. Its not exactly a Fancy Foam Vrolet, but not bad.

The Malibu 2 weighs in at 5.6 ounces and was built for me by a good friend, it flies well also, infact I would say I was also pleasantly surprised how good.
It is not a copy of the Clik. The Clik is one of my personal favorites, The Malibu 2 is good but not on the Clik's level IMO.

To answer the question.... The Aeolus can actually knife edge very well, can fly very slow, but like most biplanes sometimes it just doesn't have the stability of a Monowing in high alpha flight. I would say the Malibu would be the better all around choice.
SUPERGONZO is offline Find More Posts by SUPERGONZO
Last edited by SUPERGONZO; Jan 09, 2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 09:59 PM
Joined Aug 2003
98 Posts
I have a Malibu 2 new in package that I decided not to build. $45.00 shipped, PayPal to jim.woodward@baesystems.com. Thanks, Jim
Jim Woodward is offline Find More Posts by Jim Woodward