HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2012, 07:07 PM
Joined Aug 2010
7 Posts
Discussion
Torque steer

From what I understand , torque steer will pull my plane to the left (when looking at it from the rear). If this is the case , why is my GSW ESTARTER pulling very strongly to the right. The truth is I installed a Rimfire 400 motor (already had this motor) instead of the recommended motor which is a geared 400 motor 3.9:1 ratio. The plane pulls to the right even when the motor is angled to the left. Both wheels move smoothly. What determines when a plane should be powered by a geared motor?
flyingeek is offline Find More Posts by flyingeek
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2012, 07:17 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,104 Posts
Maybe you are and maybe not, but you need to go by, as if you were sitting in the cockpit, the torque or P factor will try to turn the plane to the left, providing the prop is turning in a clockwise direction, sitting in the cockpit and a tractor prop, not a pusher.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Jun 17, 2012, 08:21 PM
USA, MO, Florissant
Joined Nov 2010
1,550 Posts
If the thrust line is off center to port, it will make it turn to the right.
Wintr is offline Find More Posts by Wintr
Old Jun 17, 2012, 08:26 PM
United States, MA, Grafton
Joined May 2006
287 Posts
You say "both wheels move smoothly". So, are you talking about the plane trying to turn right only when taxiing/taking off, or when flying as well?

Are you taking off straight into the wind?

Viewed from the top, are both wheels pointed straight (or toed in or out the same amount)?

If you hand launch the plane does it fly straight?
tom1968 is offline Find More Posts by tom1968
Old Jun 17, 2012, 08:27 PM
United States, MA, Grafton
Joined May 2006
287 Posts
The E-Starter should be fine with the Rimfire 400, as long as the CG location is right.
tom1968 is offline Find More Posts by tom1968
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:05 AM
Art Schmitz
United States, TN, Crossville
Joined Jan 2012
345 Posts
It may need more left thrust. Stand above the plane facing forward and eye ball the actual side thrust to get an idea of what to add.
Your motor choice is fine.
lindart is offline Find More Posts by lindart
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:17 AM
Joined Aug 2010
7 Posts
Thanks all
i am glad to see that the motor choice is okay. The plane pulls hard to the right when flying (very brief flight) and taxiing. Eye balling it from the top, the balsa 3/8 shaft the motor is mounted on, comes out straight from the firewall.
flyingeek is offline Find More Posts by flyingeek
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:31 AM
Art Schmitz
United States, TN, Crossville
Joined Jan 2012
345 Posts
That is the problem. I would cut the stick mount off and go with a 1/8" plywood firewall. This will allow you to shim your motor to the left.
www.headsuprc.com has a good selection of motor mounts if you can't use the motor flange.
The main landing gear wheels need to be toed IN, as viewed from above.
lindart is offline Find More Posts by lindart
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:58 PM
Ignint McNugget
behind Jaggi lines
Joined Jan 2004
907 Posts
What the ??

Firstly, motor torque cannot cause a plane to yaw - it can only cause roll.

Secondly, the need for right thrust in a motor mount is to counteract the left-yawing tendency caused by the spiral slipstream effect. But you are reporting a right-yawing motion in your estarter - so something else is awry.

If I have this correct - your plane yaws to the right, despite the fact that your motor points directly straight. I would look elsewhere for a problem with your plane (not your motor). Is the vertical stab and rudder oriented properly, or was it glued in crooked and acting as if some right rudder were being input? Or is the fuselage curved causing a right yawing motion?

Or maybe I've misunderstood, and you're talking about ground tracking only (during taxi, not during flight?)
Rumple is offline Find More Posts by Rumple