HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2014, 07:50 AM
Brazil
Joined Jan 2014
189 Posts
Mini-HowTo
808#16 FPV Pod

Hi, I wanted to share with you some experiments I been doing with a small FPV Pod. I play only with mini quads and I was looking for ideas about how to secure the FPV gear in an easy way. Also I wanted to record the video with a better quality, not using the video downlink. Finally, I decided to install all my FPV gear directly inside the case of an 808#16 keychain. The result is a portable FPV Pod that can be easily swapped to different mini quads and stores the video in a microSD card with HD quality.

The materials for this DIY are:

- 808#16 v3 keychain – Note that this DIY only will work for the v3 model!
- Pololu 3.3 step up/down voltage regulator – To power up the vTX using a 1S lipo battery
- vTX 5823 – 5.8 GHz “200 mW” transmitter
- Some wires and soldering skills – Be aware, there is some really tiny soldering involved on this!

Basically what I did is:

1 – Take out the internal battery from the 808 keychain,
2 – Use the original battery connector from the 808 to power it up from an external 1S battery,
3 – In parallel with the 808 keychain connector there is a 3.3 voltage regulator,
4 – The voltage regulator power the 5823 module,
5 – To activate the analog video output from the keychain the pins 4 and 5 must be shorted (I put some soldering between them),
6 – The video output is taken from the pin 2 and connected to the 5823 vTX,
7 – An antenna is solder to the vTX,
8 – You will need an external power source (1S lipo). Because all my quads are 1S, I connected directly to the main battery.

Despite the modification, the Keychain still can be connected to the computer through the usb cable for setup, but remember to connect the battery first.

Some drawbacks so far: I have observed some interference when the motors are running. I need to point out that the 5823 module used in this first trial doesn’t have an internal voltage regulator. The interference is not observed if I used the 5813 vTX (which has an internal voltage regulator). Maybe I will add some filter in order to improve the video signal.

As you may notice, this is an ongoing project. I will post some videos and more pictures soon. I need to thank all users of RCG for the valuable information provided to make this DIY possible. Feedbacks and ideas are always welcome!

Best regards

Mariano
marbelo is offline Find More Posts by marbelo
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2014, 05:04 PM
Sardinia, Italy
Joined May 2009
79 Posts
Made it months ago. Mine works flawlessly but with some limitation on range and some noise line... I feed it (vtx and cam) with a 1 cell balance plug, without step down regulator. More easy.
sandro
Frazz is offline Find More Posts by Frazz
Old May 12, 2014, 02:16 AM
Brazil
Joined Jan 2014
189 Posts
Hi Sandro,

Nice work you have done there, I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one with this idea.

Regards
Old May 17, 2014, 08:09 AM
Brazil
Joined Jan 2014
189 Posts
An update of the 808 FPV Pod,

I was experiencing some interference from the motors of my tiny quadcopter. The solution was to replace the 3.3 step up/down voltage regulator for a series of two regulators. The main battery is now connected to a 5 volts step up voltage regulator, and then the output is connected to a 3.3 volt step down regulator. This combination killed all the interference, but makes the entire setup a little bit complicated. Anyway now it’s working fine! Check the picture to see the new internal layout.

Regards

Mariano
Old Jun 02, 2014, 10:49 AM
Joined May 2014
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marbelo View Post

I was experiencing some interference from the motors of my tiny quadcopter. The solution was to replace the 3.3 step up/down voltage regulator for a series of two regulators. The main battery is now connected to a 5 volts step up voltage regulator, and then the output is connected to a 3.3 volt step down regulator. This combination killed all the interference, but makes the entire setup a little bit complicated. Anyway now it’s working fine! Check the picture to see the new internal layout.

Regards

Mariano
Hi!
Could you please let me know the part/ID numbers for the regulators you have success with?

I have stepup to power vtx from 1s lipo (S7VF75 or U3V12F5) but what stepdown are you using to give clean voltage to the 808?

Thanks,
Chris.
Chris_D is offline Find More Posts by Chris_D
Old Jun 03, 2014, 02:25 AM
Brazil
Joined Jan 2014
189 Posts
Hi Chris,

I'm using a 5V step-up U3V12F5 and a 3.3V step-down D24V3F3.

Regards
Old Aug 07, 2014, 11:07 PM
Cumulus Altimus
KELLER TEXAS
Joined Feb 2002
3,667 Posts
you all are bunch of electronics brains,when i cant even keep my 808 on for more than 45s
i have been looking trough all the posts and cant come a cross how to fix this thing...please direct me to get this running this is my first venture to record a flight.
thx in advance
ben
FASTBEN is offline Find More Posts by FASTBEN
Old Sep 14, 2014, 09:51 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,792 Posts
What a neat idea for a mini FPV 'backpack' !

Why can't this be done on a 808#16 V2 ?
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PeterVRC; Sep 14, 2014 at 09:56 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 04:58 PM
Brazil
Joined Jan 2014
189 Posts
Peter,

It can be done, yes! On the other hand the video out connections are different between v2 and v3 camera. You need to check the right way to take the video out from the v2 camera and connect it to the transmitter.

Regards
Old Sep 15, 2014, 08:06 AM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Mar 2011
342 Posts
You guys are doing some really cool stuff with your 808#16 cameras! I have some catching up to do, but you may find a post I placed provides useful information on both the V2 and V3 cameras. Check this out:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=17842

Hope it helps!
VJ
Virginia Jim is offline Find More Posts by Virginia Jim
Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:42 PM
last of the sixties kids..
New Zealand, Northland, Whangarei
Joined Jan 2013
800 Posts
I'm having a bit of trouble following the wiring here - I know v little about electronics. How do I tell V2 from V3 808 cam?

EDIT: My 808 cam appears a bit different from the one in pics, but it's the same as the V3 at Banggood - http://www.banggood.com/808-NO_16-HD...g-p-82197.html
Cannafish is online now Find More Posts by Cannafish
Last edited by Cannafish; Oct 18, 2014 at 10:48 PM. Reason: more info
Old Oct 29, 2014, 09:24 AM
Joined Oct 2014
1 Posts
Hello and thank you for this achievement very interresting . But I have some questions: I would like to apply your method to WLtoys V912 with a battery of 1300 mAh 7.4v and I 'm not sure apply filters to smooth the voltage . I did not understand how you make the antenna inspired by pinwheel it seems.
Tenebra is offline Find More Posts by Tenebra
Old Dec 02, 2014, 08:15 AM
Brazil
Joined Jan 2014
189 Posts
If your camera is a v3 model, then the wiring is the same than mine.

Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannafish View Post
I'm having a bit of trouble following the wiring here - I know v little about electronics. How do I tell V2 from V3 808 cam?

EDIT: My 808 cam appears a bit different from the one in pics, but it's the same as the V3 at Banggood - http://www.banggood.com/808-NO_16-HD...g-p-82197.html
Old Dec 02, 2014, 08:22 AM
Brazil
Joined Jan 2014
189 Posts
Hi, you can use the same step-down voltage regulator D24V3F3. The input voltage for that one is up to 42v.

For the antennas, there are some great tutorials here:

The Skew-Planar Wheel circular polarized omni antenna

Build IBCrazy's Cloverleaf - The ultimate circularly polarized aerial antenna!

Best regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenebra View Post
Hello and thank you for this achievement very interresting . But I have some questions: I would like to apply your method to WLtoys V912 with a battery of 1300 mAh 7.4v and I 'm not sure apply filters to smooth the voltage . I did not understand how you make the antenna inspired by pinwheel it seems.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 07:31 AM
Joined Jul 2013
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marbelo View Post
Thank you so much for sharing, I want to build an FPV pod out of my 808 #16 as well and would like to follow your design. Two questions.

1. what is the overall weight of your pod, minus the battery?
2. any chance you could draw a quick diagram of your wiring? not so easy for me to see it in the photo.

Thank you again.
ulightme is online now Find More Posts by ulightme