Turnigy 5 7.58%
Other 20 30.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 26, 2013, 10:06 AM
Split S
United States, CA, Rancho Santa Margarita
Joined Jul 2006
2,046 Posts
I would not touch any of these batteries if you paid me.
TimJohnson is offline Find More Posts by TimJohnson
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2013, 10:23 AM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,509 Posts
The only ones I would touch out of that list would be the Hyperions. Thunderpowers used to be good, not anymore. Zippy, Turnigy come in with a too high defect rate, and there's almost no recourse. Gens Ace also used to be good but it seems like every 1 in 5 packs they're selling have a dead cell.

Hyperions, I feel, are still a solid battery. Not the most powerful, but they're quite solid and long-living. I have a 1800mAh hyperion that I bought used off the classifieds here almost 3 years ago for my first plane (a slow stick), abused it before I knew better, and I still am using it today on my workbench as a testing battery.

No matter who makes a battery, there will always be defects. The higher-end battery corps might invest in better cleanroom technology to reduce contaminants but sometimes even the best batteries will have a dead cell that's undetectable at the factory but will manifest after 2 months in storage. I feel that it largely comes down to which companies stand behind their product.
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09
Old May 26, 2013, 04:48 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acetech09 View Post
Zippy, Turnigy come in with a too high defect rate, and there's almost no recourse.

A few years I got some packs with weak cells but all the ones I have received in that past year and a half have been perfect. I think that HK has really made big improvements in their quality control lately. With the US warehouse it’s quick and convenient to get packs – I just wish that they had a little larger stock as they are always doing in and out of stock on what I need. On the plus side I know I am getting fresh packs and not something that’s bees setting on a Hobby Shop shelf for a year or more.

I did get a Gens Ace with a bad cell and I also got a Thunder Power with a bad cell (I think that one was a cold solder joint internal to the pack). No mater how much you pay it’s possible to get a defective pack.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Last edited by RC Man; May 27, 2013 at 06:02 AM.
Old May 26, 2013, 05:33 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
4,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
A few years I got come packs with weak cells but all the ones I have received in that past year and a half have been perfect. I think that HK has really made big improvements in their quality control lately. With the US warehouse itís quick and convenient to get packs Ė I just wish that they had a little larger stock as they are always doing in and out of stock on what I need. On the plus side I know I am getting fresh packs and not something thatís bees setting on a Hobby Shop shelf for a year or more.

I did get a Gens Ace with a bad cell and I also got a Thunder Power with a bad cell (I think that one was a cold solder joint internal to the pack). No mater how much you pay itís possible to get a defective pack.

Very true
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Mar 07, 2014, 10:39 AM
miniture aircraft pilot
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Oct 2007
1,347 Posts
I have gone to AGA Power.. and now I am starting to hear more and more about them. And some said there are youtube posts on some one doing impedance? tests?

so, so far they are holding up great . In my FPV, Quads, and EDF...

I found a place: www.onthegohobbies.com that sells them. and I now there a couple others.
rcshirt is offline Find More Posts by rcshirt