HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 21, 2007, 12:24 PM
89" Kool Aid drinker.
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined Dec 2001
3,133 Posts
New Product
SebArt Sukhoi S30 E

Well, I just got this plane in yesterday and started the build last night. The only pix I have are straight outta the box. I didn't feel that getting pix of every little step in an ARF assembly were necessary, I think most of us know what they look like.

First blush on the kit is... Typical good ARF build quality. Hangar 9, Extreme Flight, CG, etc. all have about the same build quality, and SebArt is up there with them. The outer box that the plane came in said made in China. I believe that its made in the same factory as the Extreme Flights, and maybe Hyperions. A lot of the parts look the same.

Everything slid together easily, except the port wing. I had to sand out the airfoiled shaped hole in the fuse sheeting to get the wing to pass through, but that went quickly and no problems. The stab was not in line with the wing tube, so out came the sanding tool again. But this is pretty typical of most of the ARF's that I have assembled. Just have to take the time to get a straight flying plane. I have gotten all of the flying surfaces and control surfaces mounted or hinged as needed and have a mostly completed plane sitting on the cradle as I type, but I didn't get a "finished" pic yet. Took all of about 2 hours. Left to do: all of the electronics installation and hook-up. That should take another 2 hours or so. I need to get a new prop adapter, which I have ordered from Sierra Hobby, so that will be a couple of days to get in. I will try to remember to weigh the empty airframe tonight, before electronics, and post the results here.

I really like the look of this plane. The size is about the same as the Kat, has similar lines to the Yak54's that we see ALL over the place, but its a little slimmer. I have an Extreme Flight Yak that I will take a comparison pic with. I will also get some more pics tonight and have some typical items for scale.

Mike
Smash McCrash is offline Find More Posts by Smash McCrash
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2007, 12:29 PM
Test your skills....fly IMAC!!
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Mike,

What is your planned power/equipment setup for your Sukhoi? Thanks

Tim
sun.flyer is offline Find More Posts by sun.flyer
Old Mar 21, 2007, 12:49 PM
Cumming Ga
Joined Apr 2002
2,916 Posts
it is a really nice plane!
We will have them up on the site for preorders in a day or two. I am putting mine together now and hope to fly it next week.
We are working hard to get the container in time to bring a bunch to SEFF.

Cliff Whitney
678-513-4450
Atlantahobby.com
Sierra-Ridge.com
MercuryAdhesives
atlav8r is offline Find More Posts by atlav8r
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 21, 2007, 01:24 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,117 Posts
Ill soon be building one of Silvestri's Funtana planes. Really georgeous ARF's. Keep us updated on it.
Bryan Davison is offline Find More Posts by Bryan Davison
Old Mar 21, 2007, 02:00 PM
89" Kool Aid drinker.
Joined Dec 2001
3,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun.flyer
Mike,

What is your planned power/equipment setup for your Sukhoi? Thanks

Tim
Hacker A30-10XL
Castle Phoenix 60
UBEC
Flightpower EVO 2500 3S
JR R790
4 HS 65HB's

Mike
Old Mar 21, 2007, 02:39 PM
Camarillo, Ca.
Joined Mar 2005
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash McCrash
Hacker A30-10XL
Castle Phoenix 60
UBEC
Flightpower EVO 2500 3S
JR R790
4 HS 65HB's

Mike
Mike, do you think the 10XL is better than the 14L ? Are you looking for speed or 3D hover ability?
Mike
MxHeli-man is offline Find More Posts by MxHeli-man
Old Mar 21, 2007, 03:44 PM
Scott Summersgill
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Feb 2001
558 Posts
Very nice Mike! Can't wait to see it at the field.

Scott
smsgill is offline Find More Posts by smsgill
Old Mar 21, 2007, 04:25 PM
Husband, Dad, Skydiver, RC'r
United States, NC, Waynesville
Joined May 2002
5,559 Posts
Sweet dude. More pictures...?
Bill K. is offline Find More Posts by Bill K.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 05:44 PM
89" Kool Aid drinker.
Joined Dec 2001
3,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MxHeli-man
Mike, do you think the 10XL is better than the 14L ? Are you looking for speed or 3D hover ability?
Mike
The 10XL is the recommended motor, so I went with it. A 158 APC-E is the recommended prop, I will have to see what the current draw is before I fly it though. Drive Calc is saying that the 147 is drawing 50A+ so I will have to be careful when I decide to run it up.

Scott: It will be out there soon... Maybe this weekend depending.

Bill: More tonight if I feel better... I hate being sick...

Mike
Old Mar 22, 2007, 11:11 AM
Scott Summersgill
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Feb 2001
558 Posts
Mike,

I won't be at the field this weekend as we are doing a garage sale Saturday morning. I'll see you out there soon though.

Scott
smsgill is offline Find More Posts by smsgill
Old Mar 22, 2007, 01:29 PM
89" Kool Aid drinker.
Joined Dec 2001
3,133 Posts
Scott: Too bad. I am not sure that I am going to be there either, though.

Here are a few more pix from last night. I forgot to get a weight sans electronics, but I can still get one with just the servo's and extensions in.

I used the left over control rods from the Kat for this one. only the rudder needed to be replaced. The control rods are shorter on the Suk for all the other control surfaces. I also used the left over tail wheel bracket from the Kat, I didn't like the supplied one (just like the one from the Katana.)

Mike
Old Mar 22, 2007, 04:37 PM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,676 Posts
Nice plane, shame it wasn't a bit more scale...that top view makes the canopy look pretty narrow.
Dora Nine is online now Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Mar 22, 2007, 05:57 PM
Husband, Dad, Skydiver, RC'r
United States, NC, Waynesville
Joined May 2002
5,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dora Nine
Nice plane, shame it wasn't a bit more scale...that top view makes the canopy look pretty narrow.
You realize that one is a Yak and the other is an SU-29 right? The tail is not completely scale, but then I doubt that a scale tail would 3D as well. I think it looks totally bad a$$. Once the next shipment gets here I can't wait to get my hands on one. Should be a ball of fun just like my K-30 is.

BK
Bill K. is offline Find More Posts by Bill K.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 06:23 PM
HOW HIGH DOES IT GO???
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
2,153 Posts
Great looking plane, I'm sure it will fly great. I just think they droped the ball by not making the tail surfaces resemble the Suk. It's like putting the tail feathers of an Extra on a Yak, you just wouldn't do it. I don't see how something so small and cosmetic would have any thing to do with flight performance.

Ben Rodriguez
Ben-Rod is offline Find More Posts by Ben-Rod
Old Mar 23, 2007, 08:31 AM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,620 Posts
I love round airplanes and this Sukoi is sexy looking even if the tail feather are not truely scale!!
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini