HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Aug 14, 2013, 04:28 PM
Joined Jul 2013
17 Posts
What do you guys think about adding a repo for the GUI to the github?
AES256 is offline Find More Posts by AES256
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2013, 04:33 PM
Portland, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2010
268 Posts
Hey Alan, you should add the warning about lipo while flashing to your signature, save you having to type it over and over.
Tom Frisch is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frisch
Old Aug 14, 2013, 04:35 PM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Dec 2010
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AES256 View Post
What do you guys think about adding a repo for the GUI to the github?
Sure we can, but I'm not a GUI expert if some one wants to create an initial environment and send it to me, I'll create the repo for it.

Alan
aadamson is offline Find More Posts by aadamson
Old Aug 14, 2013, 04:37 PM
Joined Dec 2010
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AES256 View Post
I noticed the AeroQuad is using a 168 mhz F4, much like Alan has spec'd for a future Evvgc iteration. I suppose if the routine is too heavy for the current MCU, going up to the F4 should make it viable?

I'm not knowledgeable about those types of algorithms, but I have a couple thoughts on the issue of lateral accelerations skewing the attitude solution. On other closed-source gimbal solutions, I've seen two features that can be helpful: 1) the ability to adjust accelerometer influence on the overall algorithm on a sliding scale 2) the ability to temporarily disable the accelerometers' influence on the computation while a yaw command is being issued by the operator. Since lateral accelerations are often accompanied by a yaw input, this can be helpful, at the cost of a bit of gyro drift.
I think there is plenty of headroom in the F1 for this, i2c is a killer, but all of this runs on an 8mhz(maybe 16mhz) 32k AVR.... ... I mostly want an F3/F4 for the hardware floating point, but its not required...

Alan
Old Aug 14, 2013, 04:37 PM
Joined Dec 2010
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frisch View Post
Hey Alan, you should add the warning about lipo while flashing to your signature, save you having to type it over and over.
Yeah, really!
Old Aug 14, 2013, 05:42 PM
Joined Aug 2013
6 Posts
hello, is there a step by step guide how to install and configure EvvGC 3 axis? and what parts should I buy to run ... can someone help??
georgskt is offline Find More Posts by georgskt
Old Aug 14, 2013, 05:58 PM
James not bond
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined May 2012
2,074 Posts
just heard from AirBot. they are putting down the site for maintenance for 24h...
jy0933 is offline Find More Posts by jy0933
Old Aug 14, 2013, 06:19 PM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Aug 2002
728 Posts
Quote:
I noticed the AeroQuad is using a 168 mhz F4, much like Alan has spec'd for a future Evvgc iteration. I suppose if the routine is too heavy for the current MCU, going up to the F4 should make it viable?
On the F4, I can run the MARG algorithm and flight controls at 500Hz, with a mix of I2C and SPI sensors. I have an F3 board that also runs the same code at 500 Hz, but it uses all SPI sensors. And finally, the same code runs at 200 Hz on an F1, with I2C sensors.

So as Alan said, the I2C sensors extract quite a penalty. I don't have a good feel for how fast the brushless gimbal needs to execute. I can probably push MARG on the F1 to 250 Hz since I'm getting rid of the pressure sensor in the gimbal configuration. I'd still like to keep the mag, I need it for some things I want to do with a gimbal

And for DT accuracy, I use a spare timer to compute frame to frame DT. I don't know if the evvGC hardware has a spare timer to do this or not.
jihlein is offline Find More Posts by jihlein
Old Aug 14, 2013, 06:37 PM
Joined Dec 2010
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jihlein View Post
On the F4, I can run the MARG algorithm and flight controls at 500Hz, with a mix of I2C and SPI sensors. I have an F3 board that also runs the same code at 500 Hz, but it uses all SPI sensors. And finally, the same code runs at 200 Hz on an F1, with I2C sensors.

So as Alan said, the I2C sensors extract quite a penalty. I don't have a good feel for how fast the brushless gimbal needs to execute. I can probably push MARG on the F1 to 250 Hz since I'm getting rid of the pressure sensor in the gimbal configuration. I'd still like to keep the mag, I need it for some things I want to do with a gimbal

And for DT accuracy, I use a spare timer to compute frame to frame DT. I don't know if the evvGC hardware has a spare timer to do this or not.
It does
Old Aug 14, 2013, 07:26 PM
Portland, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2010
268 Posts
What is the price difference between F103 F3 and F4 chips?
Seems like getting away from i2c and moving to SPI is something we might want to do in v2?

-Tom
Old Aug 14, 2013, 07:43 PM
Joined Dec 2010
2,061 Posts
Quote:
What is the price difference between F103 F3 and F4 chips?
Seems like getting away from i2c and moving to SPI is something we might want to do in v2?

-Tom
F405 or 415 is $11.80

F3 is in the middle, but it's only a 256k part and still 72mhz, but on the cortex m4 core and with hardware floating point, plus a few other things *fixed* against the f1 and some against the f4.

F103 is $8.20

so you see in the grand scheme of things the F4 isn't that expensive and it has 1M flash in those parts and the cortex m4 core with hardware floating point (albiet single precision). Plus with either F3 or F4 we get usb bootloader built in and wouldn't have to worry about this stupid serial port thing that I keep harping on ...

BTW the F1 has SPI too, it just wasn't brought out on pins for usage. And to use SPI you'd use the MPU 6000 instead of 6050 (it's i2c only, the 6000 is either or both spi or i2c).

Alan
Old Aug 14, 2013, 07:51 PM
Portland, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2010
268 Posts
That's what I suspected, I don't see a good reason to stick with the F103 for v2.

As usual, I'm getting way ahead of myself. I haven't even assembled v1.3 yet!

-Tom
Old Aug 14, 2013, 07:54 PM
Joined Dec 2010
2,061 Posts
Quote:
That's what I suspected, I don't see a good reason to stick with the F103 for v2.

As usual, I'm getting way ahead of myself. I haven't even assembled v1.3 yet!

-Tom
I broke down and ordered my stencil today... normally I just do it with dobs of solderpaste, but I hate having to fix the processor doing it that way.... this time I'll do it with stencil...

Hmm, now I need solder paste and a squeegy (sp)...

Alan
Old Aug 14, 2013, 08:02 PM
Portland, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2010
268 Posts
If you find that solder stencil tutorial I posted a while back, they mention some alternatives to the expensive solder paste squeegee, but I can't remember what it was.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 09:58 PM
Joined Aug 2013
15 Posts
Hi everybody,
I just jumped on this wagon, so I am new to everything. Could anybody advise me about which battery I should buy for this controller? I would highly appreciate the help.
Thanks
DionPaz is offline Find More Posts by DionPaz
Closed Thread