SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 28, 2015, 05:08 PM
Find More Posts by symowallo
Australia, NSW, Burwood
Joined Dec 2008
279 Posts
Just received my UM Corsair from HK. It's in the UM box, but it's slightly different to the UM sold version.

I suspect HK contracted UM to provide a slightly cheaper version of the model in order to fill the void left by the Durafly being out of stock for so long.

What's different:

- Rear wheel does not retract, even though on the HK video it does. Others have also reported this.
- There is no central wiring harness as Rich demonstrated in his video.
- There is no PCB with connectors for the motorised cockpit etc
- The manual has not been updated to reflect any of the above. Consequently I went berserk trying to find these missing pieces until I checked other online posts.
- The front gear are slightly different to the gear that Rich demonstrated in his video. They still look really solid though, much better than the standard Durafly retracts, but they are different.

Overall I am disappointed with the rear retract change, but that's the way it goes. I still love the look of this plane and am looking forward to its maiden. The beefy main wheels look great.

I'm still going to try and source the retract motor for the rear, but I don't know what the stock one looks like since I don't have it! Can anyone give me any clues ? Might also engage HK support since the video that led me to buy this had me believing that the rear gear retracted.
symowallo is online now Find More Posts by symowallo
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2015, 07:42 PM
Find More Posts by lppierre
Joined Apr 2015
2 Posts
Hi symowallo,
I'm in Brisbane and expect delivery of this Corsair in the next few days.I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the plane as it is my first venture into the RC world.
Cheers
lpp
lppierre is offline Find More Posts by lppierre
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:40 PM
Australia, NSW, Burwood
Joined Dec 2008
279 Posts
Hi lppierre,

Depending on the weather in Sydney I'll hopefully maiden it this Saturday, but we have had flooding at the field so it might not be for a week or so. She's a nice plane other than the small omissions mentioned earlier.

I know you're not going to want to hear this, but I don't think a warbird is a good choice for a first plane. They require a bit of skill and experience to handle - not that I'm very good by any means, but you need to develop the spatial awareness and the ability to pull out of problems (or avoid them in the first place) which only a trainer aircraft can really help prepare you for.

I'd recommend starting with a Bixler or AXN before flying the Corsair if I were you. Of course, if you've got experience then ignore me, but you mentioned that it's your first venture into RC so that has me a little concerned. I would suspect that if you went to a flying club, you may find that the instructors would refuse to buddy up with you with that plane, because it's too much for a first timer.

Having said that, there's many clubs that have a club owned trainer aircraft so you may be able to start with theirs.

Good luck, and I will let you know how the maiden goes.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 05:16 AM
Find More Posts by lppierre
Joined Apr 2015
2 Posts
Thank you for your good advice. I've been to the local RC club and you are repeating everything they have said lol. I don't intend flying the Corsair for some time but I have built a swapple Corsair from plans I found on FliteTest. The electronics for it are coming with the HK Corsair so it will be my learner/heartbreaker;-) BTW since reading your post I have reread the specs for the HK Corsair and it does state that the main gear retracts;-( But I want to believe the video review;-)

Cheers
lppierre
lppierre is offline Find More Posts by lppierre
Old Apr 29, 2015, 07:03 PM
Australia, NSW, Burwood
Joined Dec 2008
279 Posts
I'm sure you'll be fine lppierre. I know that people at clubs can come across as authoritative and school teacher-like but it'll be worth the effort.

For me, it was sort of a case of me saying "Please Mr. Instructor, you're so right and I'm so wrong, can I please please have another instructor flight until you can kindly certify me as suitable for solo flight?"... At least until I established some semblance of credibility :-)

I am really looking forward to maidening this beast!
Old Apr 29, 2015, 07:15 PM
Australia, NSW, Burwood
Joined Dec 2008
279 Posts
One build issue that I have found:

The screws for the flap control horn needs to be cut short because it spikes into the wing when the flaps are closed. My kit didn't come with shorter screws for the flap control horn so I had to grind them down using the Dremel.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 12:51 AM
Find More Posts by sorted
Joined Sep 2009
17 Posts
Symowallo, had the same issue when assembling my HK version. I am having trouble taking off, seem to be too harsh with the throttle and veering to the left on take off and contacting the ground. Have gone to 2 blade propeller so hopefully get rid of some torque of the 4 blade prop and will try for the 3rd time to maiden. Otherwise a good model so far
sorted is offline Find More Posts by sorted
Old May 01, 2015, 05:22 AM
Find More Posts by Redzed9
So where does this bit go???
United Kingdom, England, Essex
Joined May 2011
660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by symowallo View Post
Just received my UM Corsair from HK. It's in the UM box, but it's slightly different to the UM sold version.

I'm still going to try and source the retract motor for the rear, but I don't know what the stock one looks like since I don't have it! Can anyone give me any clues ? Might also engage HK support since the video that led me to buy this had me believing that the rear gear retracted.
Hi Symowallo,

Regarding the tail wheel retract, look at my post #186 and I posted a picture of the tail wheel retract drive. If you can find that, you will have full retracts.

Still to maiden mine as work, weather, more work, family, more weather, an "Stuff" has led to an ever growing list of planes I must get to fly! Damn, this hobby is addictive!

Good luck with your maiden, and let us know how you get on.
Redzed9 is online now Find More Posts by Redzed9
Last edited by Redzed9; May 01, 2015 at 05:29 AM.
Old May 01, 2015, 06:50 AM
Australia, NSW, Burwood
Joined Dec 2008
279 Posts
Good on you Redzed, thanks for the pic. The only place I could think of to source that would be PW-RC as they seem to have all of those retract bits - will see what I can find.

This is the most addictive hobby I've ever had - I agree. Pity that the job, weather, kids and spouse get in the way eh!
Old May 01, 2015, 10:18 AM
Find More Posts by RGinCanada
Tinkerer in Training
Guelph, ON
Joined Sep 2004
1,850 Posts
PM sent...
RGinCanada is offline Find More Posts by RGinCanada