Old Aug 08, 2010, 08:36 AM
Find More Posts by St. Martin
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
13,575 Posts
Build Log
"Luft 46" Henschel Hs P.135 by Warbirdkits.com

Tom, at Warbirdkits, loves the obscure! He comes up with some really little known stuff. Which is really part of his kit bizz outlook. Atleast many designs I have never seen commonly done in modeling. To my pleasure, He has been really concentrating on EDF's, in the last few yrs.

I'm sure, when he returns from vacation, He will add some input into the facts of the Hs P.135. Any other input, from others is greatly apprieciated.

To test the validity of the design, it was felt that a smaller 70mm version be made. I have been putting "feelers" out on various threads, to see how the community felt. It has been almost unanimous towards a 90mm version. And Tom, and myself, agree that it would be just a simple thing to enlarge it. As with the Cutlass enlargement, 150% would yield a large, low wingloading model, that would fly very well on moderate power.

As with all Warbirdkits, this is a "builders" model. While very simple, it does require basic skills in wood framing, finishing. It is also a short kit. Top wing sheeting, fuselage sheeting/planking, some 1/8sq balsa, is supplied by builder. It is strongly suggested to use contest grade. I will be making molds for the clear canopy and plastic turtle-deck This version will be glassed w/epoxy resin and .5oz cloth.

Stats:
Scale: 1/10
Wing Area: 272sq
Wing Span: 36.67"
Length: 29.1"
Power: 70mm fan 350-650W
Projected AUW: 30-35oz.

I will be using an HET 6904 fan, HET 3W mtr(a hotter wind for some reason. Kv works out to 3400 vs 3000 of other 3W's I own. Giving 530W), Ph 45, Zippy Lightmax 30c 2200-4s.

I won't be going into an account to account build. Will leave that for the manual.

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2010, 12:34 PM
Find More Posts by SilentHunter
United States, Death Valley
Joined Aug 2003
3,115 Posts
Thats cool I dont usually have the time to build a full kit, but i would make the time for this plane.

Yes def 90mm IMO, will fly much easier than 70 and more forgiving for weight.
SilentHunter is offline Find More Posts by SilentHunter
Old Aug 08, 2010, 02:10 PM
Find More Posts by Tempest
Gaithersburg MD, United States
Joined Nov 2000
1,010 Posts
Awesome Fuzz!!! I've been waiting for you to start this one!

Tom: Sign me up for the 90mm kit!

Paul
Tempest is offline Find More Posts by Tempest
Old Aug 08, 2010, 06:44 PM
Find More Posts by turbonut
Pro Hoarder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
9,368 Posts
Make me one also!
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Aug 08, 2010, 07:00 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
13,575 Posts
Thats what I like to hear! Should make Tom real happy, when he reads this after vacation.

I'll start on the fuselage later tonite. Wings need final sanding and have the ailerons cut free. Vertical is done. I built it for an optional rudder function. Not sure if I will actually do so, at this point.

Fuzz
Old Aug 09, 2010, 06:29 AM
Find More Posts by stumax
The blade numbers go up to 11
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2002
4,500 Posts
Really cool, Steve! I'm keen for a 90mm one - will it have retracts?

Stu.
stumax is offline Find More Posts by stumax
Old Aug 09, 2010, 07:18 AM
Find More Posts by TomJacoby
Imagine That!
Tularosa, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jan 2003
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Martin View Post
Thats what I like to hear! Should make Tom real happy, when he reads this after vacation.

I'll start on the fuselage later tonite. Wings need final sanding and have the ailerons cut free. Vertical is done. I built it for an optional rudder function. Not sure if I will actually do so, at this point.

Fuzz
I'm back

You're making some pretty fast progress there!

The fuselage still needs some development work - especially the fan mount. The hatch on my prototype is somewhat flimsy, too, so I'm anxious to get your feedback on both areas.

There might be room for retracts on a 90mm version, but I haven't seen any commercially available retracts that would work.

-tom
TomJacoby is offline Find More Posts by TomJacoby
Old Aug 09, 2010, 11:18 AM
Find More Posts by Ken Lapointe
Build'em and Crash'em
Narragansett, RI
Joined Oct 2000
3,884 Posts
I'm going to have to get a better video camera
Ken Lapointe is online now Find More Posts by Ken Lapointe
Old Aug 09, 2010, 11:28 AM
Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,946 Posts
The Jet Hangar mini retracts are fairly thin, but there are others that are thinner but I'm not sure about the stoutness.

Tamjets Minis are pretty much the same thing but with different sideframes, might be a bit stronger.
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Aug 09, 2010, 03:49 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
13,575 Posts
Hi Tom! Hope you had a good vacation. Stu, I would think a 150% enlargement would fit just about any retract out there. Remember: this is already a good size plane. And I notice a correlation. With the 150% Cutlass, the midifan was exactly in proportion to the smaller Cutlass, using a 66mm 505. And like the Cutlass, a large version of the Hs would have a very low wing loading.

I'm already saving for the 90mm power system. Infact: I was given a Mega 22-20-3. I know it's old school. But I figure it will fly fine on 8s.

Tom, My thoughts on the hatch have already been thought out. That was one of my first concerns. Tom, Have you any rare earth magnets? I cannot find a one @ RS. They are not listing them any more. I was going to have to make a diff mounting for my hatches. I have a good list going of faults. But as alway's; It's a beta.

BTW: Your Cutlass will be glassed when I do this one. Yours came out the lightest yet. I'm getting good at those planes.

Fuzz
Old Aug 09, 2010, 06:18 PM
Find More Posts by turbonut
Pro Hoarder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
9,368 Posts
I just take the magnets from old motors! work great!
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Aug 09, 2010, 06:42 PM
Find More Posts by Steve C
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,270 Posts
Check Radio Shack. They have some small round magnets for holding speaker grills on. The kind I got were pretty strong.

Steve C
Steve C is offline Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Aug 09, 2010, 07:10 PM
Find More Posts by hole digger
hole digger
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2002
3,289 Posts
$25 will buy you enough for a year.

https://www.amazingmagnets.com/default.aspx?
hole digger is offline Find More Posts by hole digger
Old Aug 09, 2010, 10:30 PM
Find More Posts by TomJacoby
Imagine That!
Tularosa, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jan 2003
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Hi Tom! Hope you had a good vacation.
It was excellent. My buddy and I did a four-day backpack trip through Bandelier National Monument - it's awesome country - high mesas, deep canyons, Indian ruins, no people!

Quote:
Stu, I would think a 150% enlargement would fit just about any retract out there. Remember: this is already a good size plane.
The main gear needs to retract forward and into the fuselage. That drastically limits the available choices, though there probably are a few such systems available.

Quote:
Tom, My thoughts on the hatch have already been thought out. That was one of my first concerns. Tom, Have you any rare earth magnets? I cannot find a one @ RS. They are not listing them any more. I was going to have to make a diff mounting for my hatches. I have a good list going of faults. But as alway's; It's a beta.
Yep, got plenty of magnets. I will send some in the next box. Send me a sketch of your hatch mods - I'm hoping it's not too late to rebuild mine.

Quote:
BTW: Your Cutlass will be glassed when I do this one. Yours came out the lightest yet. I'm getting good at those planes.

Fuzz
Looking forward to it!

-t
TomJacoby is offline Find More Posts by TomJacoby
Old Aug 10, 2010, 04:59 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
13,575 Posts
Glad you had a good time, Tom. I'm sure that a set of pnuematics could be fit into this. Possibly even a set of electrics. I have a set of old Kraft Giezendanner retracts, from the 70's. Have the (4) pin Kraft multicon pins, tho.

Tried three more Radio Shacks today, for magnets. No Luck. I'm doing the hatch now. So I'll have to make up a 4 pin affair for parts "H" & "HB". Then a spring MW affair for the release. I think Dubro made an assembly for this. But I can not locate one locally. Might have been Ernst. I'll figure something out.

Have the fuselage basic framed. I'll show you my idea for stiffening the hatch, Tom. I'm just about out of parts! The wings need to be built first. Unlike the Cutlass, they are needed to set the load bearing bulkheads F5&F7 in their perfect position.

Hard to do a manual on this, so far. A lot of trial and error. Might have to wait till all mods are done and first flight done. Tom, I think the ail may need reflex?

Fuzz