SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 13, 2014, 09:47 AM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,409 Posts
Discussion
Other active forums?

Activity on this forum seems to have slowed down. Many reasons I suppose...money, time, work, other priorities, more mainstream hobbies, ready-to-run RC vs building-your-own, etc.
I checked other ship modeling forums, and scale RC sailing isn't a big topic anywhere I looked.
Anyone know if there are other forums with active threads specifically on scale RC sailing?

(When the ice clears here in MN, I WILL start sailing Syren more frequently and hopefully posting more often.)
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2014, 03:58 PM
Joined Oct 2006
856 Posts
we're probably one of a kind at least in america......let's all take a bow.....gee....would like to start another model just to keep the forum active, but i got rid of all my supplies and stuff....
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Last edited by yancovitch; Mar 15, 2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 08:23 PM
Joined Aug 2013
157 Posts
Does anyone scale sail?

As the online newbie, I've also noticed the slow down here.

The cold weather helps my indoor activity. I'm building two models at the same time..a 20 inch tug (for me) and a 33 inch steam boat (for a friend). I'm racing to get these done so I can start on my 1/24 scale brig.

I attended a local RC boat fun run last weekend. After the event, nine members of the group went to lunch. I heard the same conversation about the "graying" of the hobby that I've read elsewhere. I also heard, "no one wants to take the time to sit down and build...". But when I asked if anyone in this experienced group of modelers knew anyone who scale sailed, they scratched their heads. My point is there may not be many of us. But, we're out there.

I dream of the day that there is another age of fighting sail get together. I'd set the royals to attend

Oh, and two thumbs up for the qwerty_2008 schooner build!!
Gammon Iron is offline Find More Posts by Gammon Iron
Last edited by Gammon Iron; Mar 13, 2014 at 08:27 PM. Reason: additional info
Old Mar 13, 2014, 09:55 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Scale Sail...

Seems to happen a lot in Europe- scale yachts mostly. There are a few of us in the (SF) Bay Area who are interested in scale sailing and are discussing ideas for how we might increase interest.

Rally/Social events come to mind.

I certainly would like to see more activity in the US. The AMYA schooner/sharpie events come close to the spirit but they are a bit limited in "scope" in terms of what qualifies to participate.
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Mar 14, 2014, 01:45 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,625 Posts
MBM doesn't offer separate scale vs standard sail sections but you'll find a lot of scale related articles in their Yachts & Sail & Yachts & Sail R&D forums.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk

There are current threads for a frigate, Humber smack, Morecambe Bay prawner & several Thames barges to name a few.
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Mar 15, 2014, 03:04 PM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,687 Posts
The difference is like NASCAR vs Car Restoration. I pushed for a separate forum for Scale Sail for that reason. The idea was building working scale sailing models rather than discussing a sport.

The same thing is practiced up in the aircraft area with scale models separate from sport models and high performance stunt models, etc.
JerryTodd is online now Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Mar 15, 2014, 03:27 PM
Joined Oct 2006
856 Posts
guess everyone's seen this site.....just in case...fun look
http://www.cocatrez.net/Water/RC_Squ...reRiggers.html
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old Mar 18, 2014, 01:39 PM
belgium,limburg
Joined Sep 2009
381 Posts
here in europe, we have minisails in dutch ,germain etc.

bv : http://www.minisail-ev.de/

for me, work ,work work at my work.
lucc is offline Find More Posts by lucc
Old Mar 22, 2014, 04:58 PM
Germany
Joined Nov 2005
339 Posts
well,

only yachts, only a small group, but still active. If You cannot read german, just enjoy the pictures.

www.klassik-modellyacht.de

Watch the Bauberichte (build logs) or look at the "Bildergalerie" on the top of the page.

Also here in germany only a few people enjoy the hobby of scale-sailing and building.

Regards

Lothar
Tijgerhaai is offline Find More Posts by Tijgerhaai
Old Mar 23, 2014, 09:34 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,755 Posts
I love categories and pigeon-holing as much as any other OCD-afflicted modeler, but sometimes I wish for a better way to organize things. I spend most of my time in Scale Boats, as scale powered craft is my thing... but as a scratch-build modeler, I need to spend time looking through the other sections for modeling tips.

Wouldn't it be great to have a modeling forum, for Scratch Build and Super-Detailing topics? Regardless of prototype subject? I was just looking through Mr. Bowman's Scorpion thread... lots of 3D Printing material, which I'm a big fan of (just finished an all-printed boat: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=6614682 ).
And who knew that painting-plastic-to-look-like-wood was a topic covered in an aircraft forum?

Problem is, who has time to go and mine all these different fora for such info????
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Mar 23, 2014, 01:34 PM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,409 Posts
Hi Patmat...you were one of the first posters I followed when I started building boats.
So many sources of info out there...and when you add YouTube as areference for sailing/flying/racing/tank battling/build methods/casting/painting/carving ---
the amount of info available is almost limitless.
But somewhere along the way, ya gotta just do it.
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Mar 23, 2014, 06:11 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2012
421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL View Post
But somewhere along the way, ya gotta just do it.
agree 100% with Dan

When it came to the wood, it was simply a matter of trial and error to get close to the look I was after.

your boat looks AWESOME!!

kind regards
Tim
TBowman is offline Find More Posts by TBowman
Old Mar 23, 2014, 06:32 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,190 Posts
Its a phase guy's.

On the heavy equipment forum's it slows spring till fall ,guy's are working ,and it picks up

I suspect , depending on the profession of the modeller this is true.

Moreover this has been a difficult winter , heating cost could suck the life out of any budget.

Don't be shy to carry the torch.
more coffee is online now Find More Posts by more coffee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hi!
Old Mar 24, 2014, 10:14 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350 View Post
... I need to spend time looking through the other sections for modeling tips.
I may have missed the OP's original point...

Obviously we all benefit from looking at all areas of model building for modeling tips - RC and Static, boats and more...

What about building enthusiasm for scale sail itself? it is tough to make it an on the water "game" so what can be done to cause people to participate (and discuss specifically, on the internet)?

Nice website, Lothar!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:25 AM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,190 Posts
Or maybe your just not going big enough

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling.../t/150968.aspx

more coffee is online now Find More Posts by more coffee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hi!