HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2013, 07:44 AM
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Jan 2012
1,591 Posts
It looks good already. The "Cutty" has a neet hull . Happy sanding..
oldbilgewater is offline Find More Posts by oldbilgewater
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2013, 08:57 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,729 Posts
The Baltimore Clipper was the first hull like this and the English took it several steps further to create what we now call the Tea Clipper. Then the Americans started building bigger and bigger until they came up with the Great Republic built by McKay in East Boston at 385 feet and four masts full of sails. That was about the time the steam engine came to be and the Clipper gradually lost ground, eventually giving up altogether. The long narrow hull was a trade off with cargo for speed. It was fast but didn't have as much room as other designs. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old Jun 10, 2013, 09:17 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,729 Posts
Rough sanding is done and now for the inside sealing. Before I go and pour epoxy into the hull I want to make sure it won't be dribbling out through any spaces between the planks. By holding the hull up to a light I can see any spaces that need to be covered before I start pouring the epoxy. Any kind of tape over the openings will do the trick and in this case masking tap is being used. Pete

Old Jun 15, 2013, 08:28 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,729 Posts
I went to get more denatured alcohol at Home Depot and the price of it was $7.58 for a quart. Seems to me the last time I bought this stuff it was only $3. Anybody pay that much for denatured alcohol? Pete
Old Jun 16, 2013, 04:35 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,591 Posts
Buy it by the gallon,Pete. Gallon = $ 16.00 = $ 4.00 per quart.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 09:56 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,729 Posts
Your right Terry but I won't use a gallon of that stuff if I live to be a hundred. Just can't believe a quart is over $7. Pete
Old Jun 20, 2013, 01:27 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,729 Posts
Planking the planks is a tedious business. It takes time and goes slow. Got to the point now where I'll have to start spiling the planks to get them to come out right at the sides. Not hard to do but again it takes a lot of time. Pete
Old Jul 02, 2013, 04:27 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,729 Posts
Second layer of planks all done and now for the sanding. And the sanding, and more sanding. No matter how hard I try to get the planks on straight and smooth there always seems to be a ridge to sand down between them. This is gonna take forever. Pete
Old Jul 03, 2013, 05:39 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norgale View Post
Second layer of planks all done and now for the sanding. And the sanding, and more sanding. No matter how hard I try to get the planks on straight and smooth there always seems to be a ridge to sand down between them. This is gonna take forever. Pete

I hope your "forevers" don't take as much time as mine.
I'll never admit to saying this , but it looks good Pete.

T
Old Jul 03, 2013, 09:05 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,729 Posts
Good morning Old Goat. It's just as well that you won't admit to that statement as my "forever" only lasts a few days where your "forever" lasts for a couple of years. Ha! However this is only the hull I'm working on. There's a lot more coming up that may well go forever but that remains to be seen. Cut, fit, sand; cut, fit, and sand. I'll get it all done and then the bankruptcy guys will take it and sell it for $50. Oh well! Ya can't have ya cake and eat it too. Have a great day Terry and please try and not blow your fingers off lighting firecrackers for the Fourth. Pete
Old Jul 03, 2013, 09:26 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,591 Posts
Quote:
Good morning Old Goat. It's just as well that you won't admit to that statement as my "forever" only lasts a few days where your "forever" lasts for a couple of years. Ha! However this is only the hull I'm working on. There's a lot more coming up that may well go forever but that remains to be seen. Cut, fit, sand; cut, fit, and sand. I'll get it all done and then the bankruptcy guys will take it and sell it for $50. Oh well! Ya can't have ya cake and eat it too. Have a great day Terry and please try and not blow your fingers off lighting firecrackers for the Fourth. Pete

Been there , done that , tried to buy the "T" shirt , but they didn't sell them in the hospital.
Old Jul 03, 2013, 09:31 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,591 Posts
Quote:
Your forever may take longer, I'll bet my 63 will get in the water before you even get your sails rigged.
Old Jul 03, 2013, 10:44 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,729 Posts
Got no sails. Ain't gonna have none either. This ship will sail by pure will power. Ha! So what's the story on the fingers? And I'll bite, what T shirt? Pete
Old Jul 13, 2013, 09:45 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,729 Posts
Got my props today for the improved Cutty Sark with engines instead of sails. These props came all the way from Germany direct to me through about three other people and why can't we just buy the stuff for the same price? Even with the VAT tax added I paid far less than what I would have paid ordering from here on my own. It just doesn't make sense unless we are being ripped off.
Anyway the props are on and now I doing some fairings around the shafts to sort of streamline them. Pete
Name: Cutty sark RC new props 001.jpg
Views: 42
Size: 199.1 KB
Description:

A really, really lot of sanding has been done on the hull and there is more to be done. Next will be fitting the main deck in place and then the poop deck so the fantail can be finished. And really, really, lots more sanding. Yuck! Pete
Old Jul 13, 2013, 09:59 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,729 Posts
A few more pics of the hull. First coat of primer just about all sande off. Still a lot of low spots where the primer remains. Pete
Name: Cutty Sark RC hull sanding 002.jpg
Views: 36
Size: 182.5 KB
Description:

Name: Cutty Sark RC hull sanding 001.jpg
Views: 39
Size: 212.4 KB
Description:

Name: Cutty Sark RC hull sanding 003.jpg
Views: 41
Size: 226.3 KB
Description: