HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2014, 03:10 PM
Lier, Norway
Joined Nov 2003
299 Posts
I left the screws partly tight and just adjusted until the cam is standstill in all positions
affas is offline Find More Posts by affas
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2014, 11:46 AM
Joined Nov 2010
7 Posts
M-P3 - Construction error???

I have problems fitting the camera mount crib, between the tilt motor and bearing spacer on the opposite. According to my measurement the distance is 3 mm to small...

The distance between the outer edges on the camera mount crib is 173 mm.

The distance between the tilt motor and bearing spacer:
193 mm between arms
- motor thickness 19 mm
- bearing spacer 4 mm
= 170 mm

Please explain if i have done anything wrong, or if there is a fabrication error on my gimbal..
caid is offline Find More Posts by caid
Old Oct 31, 2014, 04:01 PM
Joined Nov 2010
7 Posts
I got a PM from jakuban.
He told me to use a M4 nut and a washer, instead of the original spacer.
I tried, but it is still a little tension on the gimbal arms...
The problem is that there is not enough space for the washer for this to be a perfect fit, without binding. Maybe it will work ok, but it is not a perfect solution.

I think i will have a machine shop to mill off 3-4mm from the side of the camera mounting plate, that will be a better solution. Then I can keep the original spacer, which seems stronger and gives better back support than the nut/washer solution.

I am a little bit disappointed that this gimbal kit had so bad fit, it was a pretty obvious design error.

My second problem with this gimbal:

The housing for the controller consist of a back plate and front plate with holes for the plugs and wires. Well in my kit there was no front plate, but two back plates with no holes.
A minor problem, but annoying when i have payed a lot of money for this gimbal...
Old Nov 01, 2014, 08:03 AM
Joined Nov 2010
7 Posts
Fix

Since the gimbal is made of aluminium, I decided to try and cut it down with my miter saw.
I mounted the camera mount piece to a wood board, and lined it up correctly.
Then I sliced of 3mm very carefully with my Bosch mitre saw, and that worked very well. The saw cut the aluminium like butter, and the surface was perfect.

For the record:
jakuban contacted me again and offered to send me 2 spacers for the dimension problem and also the missing front cover. I am happy he wants to sort out the problems
Old Nov 01, 2014, 09:32 AM
Sweden, Stockholm County, Stockholm
Joined Sep 2013
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by affas View Post
I left the screws partly tight and just adjusted until the cam is standstill in all positions
same here, but that quite a cumbersome way of balancing.
fanch72 is offline Find More Posts by fanch72
Old Nov 01, 2014, 11:36 AM
Lier, Norway
Joined Nov 2003
299 Posts
Agree!

I have problems with vibrations and think the weight vi alu gives to much flex. Tried a lot now and going to try the new dampeners for InfinityM and really hope that works out.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 07:59 AM
Joined Sep 2013
394 Posts
I am now trying the Inifnity M with 3 axis controlled by the CP board. A GH3 camera is used. I am not completely satisfied with that gimbal I think the motors are underdimensioned (for such big gimbal and make the control quite difficult) and it is really difficult to balance, whatever you try. The extenssion damping doesn't seem reliable (I might just get rid of it and screw the gimbal directly to the frame of the S900).

I also have problems with the yaw since the motor is not strong enough to support a fully loaded gimbal. I am now looking at other motors (bigger), maybe that will help...
Old Nov 28, 2014, 02:06 AM
Joined Mar 2012
59 Posts
Hello fanch72
Thank you for your questions. I think every user will have the same question with you because the motor looks so small. But moter size is by caculation and has been examined by a lot of practical experience. It's unnecessary to worry about it.
Woody
zerouav is offline Find More Posts by zerouav
Old Dec 07, 2014, 05:43 AM
Joined Sep 2013
394 Posts
Infinity M and CP

After a month of unsuccessful experiment with this gimbal I am just ready to throw it to the bin. I dont understand how the designer thought here. I am a average user, not pretending to teach how to do things to anyone. But the more I read around, the more I understand that a full aluminum design is just wrong because it will enter in resonance and ring like a bell.

But, I paid a lot of money for that rig so I need to make it work, somehow. I have tried to put some damping tape between the front arms and the back support, with no success. I guess vibrations are transmitted through the screws.

Press some silicon cushions at different places.
put some weight.

nothing work.

I had troubles (to say the least) to use AM32. So Has anyone here successes with its Infinity? how did you do? any pics?

thanks
Old Dec 07, 2014, 06:50 AM
Lier, Norway
Joined Nov 2003
299 Posts
I think Jakub did his very best to provide a good gimbal in InfinityM but the test period and different environment was not properly tested. Gimbals are "quite new" and I think we as end user has to be some kind of beta users as the development are running fast....
Old Dec 07, 2014, 07:13 AM
Poland, Lublin Voivodeship, Lublin
Joined Nov 2008
271 Posts
InfinityM was built in March 2013. It was one of the first brushless gimbals on the market. There are hundreds of users on the market now and majority of them get great results with InfinityM and current upgraded InfinityM-P3. The main idea from the very beginning was to produce it from aluminum. And this is not the only gimbal from aluminum (I don't even mention zenmuse or ronin). I use high grade aluminum alloy. If the gimbal vibrates,it doesn't mean that its construction is bad, it could also mean that electronics still needs to be developed (of course gimbals too).
In the meantime a lot has changed in AlexMos software and electronics. Phobotic has entered the market in June/July this year.
If someone is saying that after a month of test he can just throw a gimbal to the bin as it is not working, I can only say that probably gimbal wasn't properly tuned.
InfinityM/M-P3 isn't plug-and-play device, everyone who buys it, knows that. It is not easy to set up any gimbal (I played with many different Gimbals) as there are many factors that influence gimbal's performance, I know that, but there are too many good results out there on the web, to say it is not possible.

I had lots of experience with many gimbals from different manufacturers. All of them vibrate - legacy, ronin, came, besteady. Brushless gimbals are just that new products that both developers of electronics and mechanics still need to learn a lot, of course me too. But it is not said that that good results and stable footage is not possible. It is and InfinityM/P3 as proven that many times.

fanch72 - I am here to help. I didn't receive from you any support ask before. If you had troubles just sent me an email and we will try to solve the problem: hdairstudio (at) gmail.com
jakuban is offline Find More Posts by jakuban
Last edited by jakuban; Dec 07, 2014 at 07:27 AM.
Old Dec 07, 2014, 07:29 AM
Joined Jan 2009
154 Posts
I own the first version of Infinity M.I think the Infinity M Gimbal has a problem with Aligment of the Roll axis. The part between the Roll Motor and the additional bearing offering to much space for the 4 screws. You have to put on shrink tube on all 4 screws to get your right alignment for Roll Axis. Otherway its not a clean circle and not good verticale Balance of Roll Axis. I also think the additional Pitch Bearing is too weak. it tends to vibrate.
My infinity M is still not working good but i think i am getting more close :-) The last time looks much more smoother but maybe i am wrong. The working PID settings of AM32 are extremely narrow. So it takes a lot of time to find the right values.
fpvbird is offline Find More Posts by fpvbird
Old Dec 07, 2014, 09:44 AM
Joined Sep 2013
394 Posts
I spent some time with an AM32 board and never got a good result. Phobotic came in the game and promised a working auto-tune and less than one hour to fine tune. No success on that. Phobotic has identified the problem with resonance of the Infinity and is working on a new firmware. They have also told me that auto-tune on the Infinity would not work at this stage. That's why I am now trying to find a work-around until Phobotic gets a new FW, because so far, no FW is coming out.

I have been working with a RC-timer ASP gimbal and a Martinez board. No auto-tuning but it could be tuned and did a good job. I have a DYS smart gimbal with AM8 which works fine.

I am fully aware that you have worked hard on that product, same for Phobotic, and this work is highly appreciated by the community.

I'll drop you an email
Old Dec 07, 2014, 12:43 PM
Joined Sep 2013
394 Posts
some progress

I shortened the "fork" using the second pair of holes. That helped a lot. I had to change a bit of the set-up but I think that's way better than what I had before