HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2012, 03:50 AM
Joined Dec 2011
12 Posts
Discussion
Savage Flux HP ESC question

Seem to have had nothing but problems with this car so far (but I am learning a lot ).

Anyways the local hobby store sold me the car and also sold me a pair of Venom 3S LiPo 5000 mAh 20C batteries with it. It was running good for a while but I never really got it up to speed because of the area I am in. I took the car out to my parents 15 acres and gave it some speed runs in the wide open area. The car rolled to a stop and long story short - the ESC was dead. HPI RMA'd the ESC and the new one is now back in the car. HPI told me that the minimum battery C rating I should be running was 25C.

Today I went to the hobby store and bought a pair of Venom 3S 5000mAh 35C batteries. Charged them up and was playing around in the road today.

Now my other batteries (with a lower power rating) seemed to have more power. I used to be able to do standing flips with my car with the 20C batteries. With the new 35C batteries I can't even wheelie from full throttle.

My question is:

Is there something I need to set back up with my new ESC to have it recognize the batteries I am using to reap the power benefit?

Nothing was touched with this from the previous batteries to the new ones but could it have anything to do with the slipper clutch?
ed0985587 is offline Find More Posts by ed0985587
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2012, 04:17 AM
uk
Joined Nov 2010
426 Posts
Is the connecter the same as whats on the esc or is it the silly venom universal ones.
Less connectors the better.
traxx de maxx is offline Find More Posts by traxx de maxx
Old May 01, 2012, 05:15 AM
Joined Dec 2011
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by traxx de maxx View Post
Is the connecter the same as whats on the esc or is it the silly venom universal ones.
Less connectors the better.
The ESC connector is a deans and the Venom pack comes with the adapters to fit any connection and I am using the dean adapter. This is the same that I used with the other battery as well.
Old May 01, 2012, 08:58 PM
Joined Dec 2011
12 Posts
I took a stab at tightening up the slipper clutch and that did the trick. It wants to rip like mad now. Not quite sure how it loosened up unless thats just something that needs checked now and then.
Old May 08, 2012, 04:03 PM
United States, VA, Bedford
Joined Oct 2011
178 Posts
First, get rid of the adapters. They may be the cause of the problem. Adapters are resistance points and reduce the available current to your ESC and motor. Especially if the first connector is an old Tamiya style.

Second, venom batteries are very suspect. Performance is spotty and ratings are suspect. If you can return them to your LHS for a refund, I would highly recommend it. Order a set of better rated batteries online.

GensAce, SPC Racing, Hyperion, Turnigy are all good manufacturers with more accurate C ratings and performance.

And don't use adapters.
LaTuFu is offline Find More Posts by LaTuFu
Old May 09, 2012, 04:38 PM
Outdoor Extremist
Pennsylvania
Joined Jul 2010
1,006 Posts
+1 to LaTuFu
rustlererad3 is offline Find More Posts by rustlererad3