New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2015, 02:42 AM
Find More Posts by crasher47
Joined Mar 2013
350 Posts
Discussion
Thunder Tiger Raptor servo setup

A friend has a Raptor with a 50 size nitro engine on it. He wishes to install an IKON FBL on the heli but the swash servo setup is a little confusing . It consists of a couple of levers. Would this be referred to as a 90 degree H1 setup?
crasher47 is offline Find More Posts by crasher47
Last edited by crasher47; Aug 29, 2015 at 03:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2015, 09:42 AM
Find More Posts by holtneil
United Kingdom, England, Slough
Joined Dec 2012
1,676 Posts
Hi mate I think the ikon will see it as a 3 servo set up, the transmitter needs to be set to single servo 90 degs
holtneil is offline Find More Posts by holtneil
Old Aug 29, 2015, 02:42 PM
Joined Mar 2013
350 Posts
I have to designate the setup in the IKON software. I guess I could try what different options are presented. If it not correct, it should be obvious.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 02:58 AM
Find More Posts by 2Doggs
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
6,152 Posts
The Raptor uses mechanical mixing - you will have to change the linkages to convert it to FBL. Each aileron servo will need to connect to a single bellcrank and the pitch rocker has to be locked off. Then set the controller to single servo or 90 degrees. The servo type will end up as three servos at 90 degrees rather than 120 degrees.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
Old Aug 30, 2015, 04:40 AM
Find More Posts by rotorist
Joined Aug 2014
303 Posts
EZNOV neuron H1 setup will do mechanical mix Raptor style mechanics.
Is there a similar setup in the Ikon?
Servo 1 for aileron, servo 2 for elevator, and servo 3 for collective.

http://neuron.eznov.com/

rotorist.
rotorist is online now Find More Posts by rotorist
Old Aug 30, 2015, 02:05 PM
Joined Mar 2013
350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
The Raptor uses mechanical mixing - you will have to change the linkages to convert it to FBL. Each aileron servo will need to connect to a single bellcrank and the pitch rocker has to be locked off. Then set the controller to single servo or 90 degrees. The servo type will end up as three servos at 90 degrees rather than 120 degrees.
I'm going to have another look at that heli. The owner bought a Barvrian Demon for it and paid a fellow to set it up. Owner test flew it and didn't like it so he pulled the BD system out and bought an Ikon system and has asked me to do the install. I guess if it was set up for the BD, the linkages would have had to be changed?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 04:19 PM
Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,911 Posts
It should be able to select an H1 swashplate in the configuration software for the IKON.
That would be what you want for a stock Raptor.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Aug 30, 2015, 09:59 PM
Joined Mar 2013
350 Posts
I decided to send a support inquiry to IKON. They replied promptly:

Q: A friend recently purchased an IKON flybarless unit for use on his Thunder Tiger Raptor 50 helicopter. The servo setup on this model uses what is described as "mechanical mixing". Will the IKON adapt to this servo setup?

A: Yes, the ikon will work fine on a mCCPM heli..... Just select H-1 90 in step 6 of the basic menu.

In step 7, you should use the advanced menu (view, advanced, common, servos) to set cyclic/pitch throws.

You want the servo throws to be in the range of +/- 300-350us. Depending on the swash/head you are using, you probably need very short servo arms on the cyclic servos, and a longer arm on the collective servo.

I hope this helps

Ikon Representative
email sales@ikonflybarless.com | web www.ikonflybarless.com
Old Aug 31, 2015, 11:20 AM
Find More Posts by 2Doggs
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
6,152 Posts
That's a feature that sets the Ikon apart from other controllers then! You couldn't do that with a ZYX or a Vbar, for example. It certainly simplifies the FBL conversion!
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs