SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 17, 2015, 03:05 PM
Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
United States, CA, Lompoc
Joined Nov 2010
4,228 Posts
Discussion
Have I been doing it wrong this whole time? Bullet connectors.

So my last few times at the field I have seen a couple guys running black (ground) as the mail bullet, and red as the female.

For years now I have always done it opposite. Red male, black female. I know it doesn't matter, but I tend to enjoy being normal, and able to share batteries chargers etc with others.

What is the general consensus?
Jwmflying14 is online now Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2015, 03:31 PM
Find More Posts by SanderHG
Germany, RP, Nittel
Joined Sep 2014
43 Posts
Generally, with any kind of plug or connector, the side that supplies power is female. That way it's impossible to accidentally short circuit it if it has more than 1 pin.
SanderHG is online now Find More Posts by SanderHG
Old Aug 17, 2015, 03:50 PM
Joined Nov 2010
4,228 Posts
We are discussing battery side right?

I've been scrolling through inages, and it seems ohers do the red as male as well.... (Female on esc side).
Old Aug 17, 2015, 06:48 PM
Joined Nov 2010
4,228 Posts
Actually, you are 100% right. I went back and looked at all my planes. The ESC red is male, battery side female.

I got turned around somewhere along the line.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 07:07 PM
Find More Posts by arcticflyer
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Jan 2006
1,830 Posts
Yep I used to have the male end of 6mm bullet connectors on the lipo positive.....until one day I direct shorted it and vaporized the connector which tattooed my finger and thumb with gold dust

Now not only do I have the female end on the positive of the lipo I have one wire shorter than the other so there is no way they can come together...plus I put a cap of shrink tubing over the female end when they are stored in the ammo can....just in case

The fireworks are awesome.... till you look at your fingies
arcticflyer is online now Find More Posts by arcticflyer
Old Aug 17, 2015, 07:39 PM
Find More Posts by seng30904
United States, SC, North Augusta
Joined May 2007
160 Posts
an easy way to remember how to determine male /female bullets to the battery: "Red Hot Female". Of course we all know that not all red-heads are "hot", but some are.. It's an easy way to remember correct orientation. Hope that helps!
seng30904 is offline Find More Posts by seng30904
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:43 AM
Find More Posts by KRProton
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
4,150 Posts
On my batteries, I have the male bullet on the negative wire and the female bullet on the positive wire. Opposite of course for the ESC. I don't remember why I did it this way, but that's how it is...

Tim
KRProton is online now Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:36 AM
Find More Posts by DaveSawers
Canada, NS, Lunenburg
Joined Oct 1999
3,873 Posts
It doesn't matter which way round you have them. You only get a short when you create a circuit so having the male/red or male/black protects you not at all from that situation. To minimize trauma always plug the battery male in first so there's less chance of an accidental short.

Having a setup that is the same as your mates is sensible from the point of view of sharing equipment in an emergency. Apart from that, go your own way.
DaveSawers is offline Find More Posts by DaveSawers
Old Aug 19, 2015, 09:13 AM
Find More Posts by kingsflyer
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwmflying14 View Post
For years now I have always done it opposite. Red male, black female. I know it doesn't matter, but I tend to enjoy being normal, and able to share batteries chargers etc with others.
"Normal" is way over rated.

McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Aug 19, 2015, 02:04 PM
Find More Posts by George Shering
Scotland
Joined May 2005
2,154 Posts
The argument for male on the positive side of the battery is that male, exposed, will be on the negative side of the charger. When using the charger under the bonnet of a petrol powered car the exposed charger terminal risks touching the metalwork of the car. Most cars are now negative earth. If the exposed terminal is negative OK. If the exposed charger terminal is positive it can cause a spark which could ignite any petrol vapour.
George Shering is offline Find More Posts by George Shering
Old Aug 23, 2015, 04:25 PM
Find More Posts by Mad_Mike
Be safe son - Fly low and slow
Canada, ON, Lyn
Joined Feb 2015
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Shering View Post
The argument for male on the positive side of the battery is that male, exposed, will be on the negative side of the charger. When using the charger under the bonnet(hood) of a petrol (gas) powered car the exposed charger terminal risks touching the metalwork (body) of the car. Most cars are now negative earth(Ground). If the exposed terminal is negative OK. If the exposed charger terminal is positive it can cause a spark which could ignite any petrol vapour.
HaHa, no offence but not everybody speaks proper English.
Mad_Mike is online now Find More Posts by Mad_Mike