Old Jul 13, 2015, 09:00 PM
Find More Posts by MattK15
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jul 2015
2 Posts
Discussion
Fliteworks P-38 from Tower Hobbies **TRASH**

This plane is NOT a good plane!
I have to report this plane has alot of issues. Since buying it in May everytime I take it to try and fly it, only flown once by the way, something new goes wrong. I am an experienced flyer and a member of 2 clubs in my area. One club has asphalt the other grass shorter than what is shown in Fliteworks Youtube demonstration video.
1) Out of the box: you will notice a flimsy guide wire for the front wheel retract cover. That is not shown in any of the mfg. pics. This guide wire, while needed for wheel to retract and close cover, causes damage to the retract cover over time. My cover had to removed and is being replaced by Tower. About every 2 retract cycles you need to adjust this wire to make sure it retracts properly. This same cover also lost its spring load to close cover fully.
You will also notice that the propeller blades are some of the flimsiest ever and break very easy as stated later.

2) Front wheel steering assembly is so loose that you do not have good control while on the ground. After finding the screw to tighten the assembly I noticed it was already stripped out of the box. Now I needed to remove assembly and solder in place in order for steering to work properly.

3) Upon takeoff the front nose wheel assembly breaks. The plastic plate holding the retract inplace split. Now I scratch made a piece of aluminum to replace plastic plate then epoxied the epo foam around assembly to strengthen the foam.

4) First flight: hoping for the best the plane does fly well after trimming however upon bringing it in for gentle landing the right main gear decided to spin freely causing yet another issue that needs to be fixed. This turn did cause the propeller blade to break. Because Tower has no replacement parts until end of August I decided to put Master Airscrew 10x7x3, which are the closest match.

5) Now ready to fly again, but doing preflight inspection, one of the aileron servos started its own thing by acting eradically. So now this needs to be replaced or do I need to now by all new servos, since the quality of the products used on this plane are having so many issues, perhaps it would be just a matter of time before the others need to be replaced. Perhaps the next one will be while in the air causng a catostrophic issue.

Review
This plane is not worth the money being asked! I have invested about 11 hours into repairs and about an additional $32 for those repairs including the blades. In all I have to have the following replaced by Tower:
Propeller blades
Front wheel assembly with retract cover
Servo (s)
Main wheel retract

If this was a $99 plane I would feel I got a value!
MattK15 is offline Find More Posts by MattK15
Last edited by MattK15; Jul 15, 2015 at 01:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2015, 06:23 AM
Find More Posts by eggsplurt
USA, NJ, Red Bank
Joined Sep 2010
256 Posts
I agree .....It's a spin-off of the J-Power P-38........The remedy for it was to pull the gear right out and seal the wells shut using the gear doors.......Hand-launch only.......and, I used ParkZone 10x8 early 2 blade props and Du-Bro 2 1/4 inch spinners......plus lots of airframe mods to beef it up. After that, it flies super........but, yes......the pricing is a problem......
eggsplurt is offline Find More Posts by eggsplurt
Old Jul 24, 2015, 06:10 PM
Find More Posts by 00Smurf
United States, OH, Lithopolis
Joined Nov 2010
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggsplurt View Post
I agree .....It's a spin-off of the J-Power P-38........The remedy for it was to pull the gear right out and seal the wells shut using the gear doors.......Hand-launch only.......and, I used ParkZone 10x8 early 2 blade props and Du-Bro 2 1/4 inch spinners......plus lots of airframe mods to beef it up. After that, it flies super........but, yes......the pricing is a problem......
Is it a copy of the 1000ish mm jpower/skyangel?
00Smurf is online now Find More Posts by 00Smurf
Old Jul 25, 2015, 07:14 PM
Find More Posts by FieldofDreamsFlyer
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
10,571 Posts
Junk
FieldofDreamsFlyer is offline Find More Posts by FieldofDreamsFlyer