New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 24, 2015, 09:57 PM
Find More Posts by deadrevolver
Joined Jun 2015
18 Posts
Discussion
Kyosho Jet Stream 800 rebuild

Hi im new to the electric side of boats and was looking for help on what i should do. i want to rebuild this boat to try and get her going decently fast but im trying to keep it under $100 if possible. could you guys give me some suggestions of what i should do and how i actually do it cause like i said im new to this stuff and especially the boats. Thanks for any help given
deadrevolver is offline Find More Posts by deadrevolver
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2015, 05:23 AM
Find More Posts by SlickZERO
Bret Martin
United States, FL, Citrus Springs
Joined Nov 2006
125 Posts
More information please

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadrevolver View Post
Hi im new to the electric side of boats and was looking for help on what i should do. i want to rebuild this boat to try and get her going decently fast but im trying to keep it under $100 if possible. could you guys give me some suggestions of what i should do and how i actually do it cause like i said im new to this stuff and especially the boats. Thanks for any help given
I believe I had one of those many years ago. Could you give us some dimensions? Pictures? Is that the one with the Dolphin outboard?
SlickZERO is online now Find More Posts by SlickZERO
Old Jun 25, 2015, 04:40 PM
Find More Posts by pompebled
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,550 Posts
Hi DR,

Welcome to this forum!
If you use the search function of this forum, and/or google, you'll find a lot of information on this boat, including what can be done and what not, in terms of upgrading:
https://www.google.nl/search?q=Kyosh...H4X4ywO2jar4Ag

Tell us what you've decided and ask for feedback here.

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Jun 25, 2015, 08:08 PM
Joined Jun 2015
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickZERO View Post
I believe I had one of those many years ago. Could you give us some dimensions? Pictures? Is that the one with the Dolphin outboard?
The hull is 31 1/2 from tip to back of hull and 34 from tip to back of turn fin. To be honest with you i have no i on your second question im new to the whole boat stuff and dont know much ill try and get pictures up but dont even know how to upload them on here.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 08:18 PM
Joined Jun 2015
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pompebled View Post
Hi DR,

Welcome to this forum!
If you use the search function of this forum, and/or google, you'll find a lot of information on this boat, including what can be done and what not, in terms of upgrading:
https://www.google.nl/search?q=Kyosh...H4X4ywO2jar4Ag

Tell us what you've decided and ask for feedback here.

Regards, Jan.
TY for the link but not to be rude i have looked on Google for many hours and not found really anything that helped me. I'm new to the boat side and don't know much about what they were talking about in some of the threads i looked and i need help understanding how they actually get everything put inside the boat and almost all of those threads didn't explain.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 08:24 PM
Joined Jun 2015
18 Posts
Here are some pictures I do still have all the stuff that originally came out of boat to.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 05:35 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,550 Posts
Hi DR,

No problem, I remember my own first steps in the fast electric world, getting help on how to do the basic things really helps.

As your hull is bare, I'd invest the time to reinforce the ABS, if the bottom of the hull has a lot of flex, this improves the running attitude considerably, not to mention durability.

I'd go for a simple single motor set-up on 4-6 S, depending on which motor you choose.

For ease of maintenance you could even go for a (long) solid shaft, the motor would come near the front of the hatch opening.
When I get home tonight, I'll add some pictures of how I go about setting up a monohull.

I would not use the steering outdrive, but go for a seperate rudder assembly.

Staying under $100 when you have to get everything new, is going to be very hard, but I'll do some digging regarding affordable components which don't fall apart after a few runs...

Regards, Jan.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 11:20 AM
Joined Jun 2015
18 Posts
Okay well idk what a good motor would be and a good ESC. Could you give me some advice on some good ones and I'm not to worried about the budget it'll just take me longer to do it up nice and if rather have nice. Those pictures would be awesome lol cause idk how to go about putting it in and stuff like that.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 01:37 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,550 Posts
Testing if pictures work.

Hi DR,

As all my boats have solid shafts, that's the only type I can show you.
Biigest difference to a flexshaft is the position of the motor, far forward (meaning a long propshaft) with a solid shaft, more towards the rear with a flexshaft.
The solid shafts I use all use a motorflange, this assures a 100% allignment between the motorshaft and the propshaft.
With rpm around 30.000, a bad alligned powetrain is a disaster.

I'll add more pics later.

Regards, Jan.
Last edited by pompebled; Jun 26, 2015 at 02:00 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 02:01 PM
Joined Jun 2015
18 Posts
Is that a kyosho jetstream 800? Cause I don't think my hull top is that big it looks smaller in comparison. How would I mount the motor in their cause I'm assuming I'm not going to use the old gearing .
Old Jun 26, 2015, 02:07 PM
Joined Jun 2015
18 Posts
OK where would I find those couplings and what do they normally cost? What motor would you suggest I use in my boat? Also would probably need to know what ESC I would need for the motor lol. And is their different length what's like what you got that I could get cause my hull opening is definitely not that long.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 02:39 PM
Find More Posts by 785boats
RELAX. You'll live longer
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,734 Posts
I've bought a couple of these motors & have one in my old 31" Arowana. It will easily power your boat with a 437/3 or 440/2 blade prop to start with. Only $30.00
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3674-2250KV-...item5d521fffbb

A 120A ESC will easily take care of the power. I think this one as it is a rebadged Flycolor which are a pretty good ESC for the money from what I've read. I haven't tried one myself but I will be getting a couple soon to try out.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...C_4A_UBEC.html

Batteries? I hear you ask.
A few of us at our club are having good success with these in our races. A good battery at a good price.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html
Cheers.
Paul.
785boats is online now Find More Posts by 785boats
Old Jun 26, 2015, 04:51 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,550 Posts
Hi DR,

Adding to Paul' shopping list, you'll need a cooling jacket for that motor, preferably a long one so the cooling is the most efficient:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-wat...item2332df3120

The ESC is very good; I tested one in my 80 cm Arowana, using a similar motor.

Here's a video of said ESC in my boat, it'l also give you an idea of the speed you can reach with such a set-up:
Flycolor 120A ESC with slomo (8 min 6 sec)

(Hence my suggestion to beef up the hull before installing that kind of power).

In order to spread the load of the motor and distribute the weight (specially when pounding over the waves) I use a bulkhead to mount the motor on.

The one in the picture is in the Arowana of my son.
It's made out of cardboard, covered with three layers of epoxy and glasscloth.

Regards, Jan.
Last edited by pompebled; Jun 27, 2015 at 07:54 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 02:34 AM
Joined Jun 2015
18 Posts
Okay well I ordered the motor and the jacket cause it was the last jacket they had so I picked them up for now I'll get the ESC and battery probably this check if I got the money lol. Stupid bills ruining my fun. But anyways I'm kind worried about how I'm gonna mount the shaft cause idk if I'll be able to craft that.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 02:38 AM
Joined Jun 2015
18 Posts
And could you get me a link to the shaft I need and remember my hull opening is only about half the boat and idk how long that shaft is in that picture. And for the water cooling stuff do I need like a pump or something? And I remember you saying I should change my turning fin could you recommend one you think I should get.