New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2015, 06:03 PM
Find More Posts by bansheerider
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Feb 2014
2,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ludorc View Post
Of course you have to set 2 different profiles in your dx9. First because Dx9 offers 2 modes : aircraft and heli, and each has its own relevant settings and particularities (throttle/pitch curves, switches, mixes...).
I confirm you have to practice on the sim with the 'big' helis : what you want to learn is orientations, thumb reflex, NOT how good (bad) the mcpx bl is modelised in the sim.
For canopy in real life : use it, as it helps for orientations, but they do crash and are one of the most fragile and expensive ($13) parts of the mcpx bl. The trick is to cover inside fully with cristal tape or spray some plasti dip.
That's what I thought. The sim instructions however day to create one profile in the sim using heli settings.
bansheerider is online now Find More Posts by bansheerider
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2015, 06:19 PM
Find More Posts by ludorc
Joined Jun 2014
141 Posts
Unless you use the same profile on your DX9 to fly your planes, quads, and helis in real life ! I don't.
ludorc is offline Find More Posts by ludorc
Old Aug 11, 2015, 09:08 PM
Find More Posts by CatBird
Louisville, Colorado
Joined Oct 2007
461 Posts
My thoughts on the canopy are that you definitely need one, but you should tape it first. Use one layer of thin package tape on as much of the inside as you can, and then put a second piece on the outside over the grommet holes. I remove the grommets, tape, and then trim the tape from the hole and reinstall the grommets.

With this treatment, which adds almost no weight, the canopy becomes almost impossible to break. The plastic may crack in places, but the tape keeps it all together and you can just pop it back into shape. I hope this helps.

I was wondering if this was a first heli for bansheerider. You have to start somewhere, but this is a particularly unforgiving place to start. If you bought an mSRX and mastered that, you might save that much in BL crash repairs. I love the BL, but it's easily the most difficult heli of those I have (both larger and smaller). It just reacts and gets away from you so fast.
CatBird is offline Find More Posts by CatBird
Old Aug 11, 2015, 09:19 PM
Find More Posts by Uncle Gravity
Chasin' Auntie Gravity's Tail
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2007
908 Posts
I've had good luck with Microheli FG canopies on this bird. They've taken abuse that would have made short work of the OEM job, and aside from a few small dings and chips around the edges, they still look almost as good as new.

Xcanopy? Not so much. They're good looking but too fragile.
Uncle Gravity is online now Find More Posts by Uncle Gravity
Last edited by Uncle Gravity; Aug 11, 2015 at 11:41 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 10:56 PM
Joined Feb 2014
2,255 Posts
Quote:
Unless you use the same profile on your DX9 to fly your planes, quads, and helis in real life ! I don't.
Why would I do that? I'm just simply stating what the manual says for the simulator.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 11:44 PM
Joined Feb 2014
2,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBird View Post
I was wondering if this was a first heli for bansheerider. You have to start somewhere, but this is a particularly unforgiving place to start. If you bought an mSRX and mastered that, you might save that much in BL crash repairs. I love the BL, but it's easily the most difficult heli of those I have (both larger and smaller). It just reacts and gets away from you so fast.
Hey! Yes this is my first heli. I have been flying quads for a couple years now so this shouldn't take me long to learn. The good thing about this heli is that the parts are relatively cheap. Much cheaper than quad parts too I got this heli to practice before my Blade 230s arrives.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 11:57 PM
Find More Posts by Jasen40
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jun 2012
1,715 Posts
@Bansheerider Do you fly your quads good on high rates with acro mode(3 axis)? If yes, I think you should be able to learn the BL's flight style. Find some plush grass and become friends with the throttle hold switch. Find a some rate/expo setting that your finger like, and have some fun!!
Jasen40 is online now Find More Posts by Jasen40
Old Aug 12, 2015, 12:03 AM
Joined Feb 2014
2,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasen40 View Post
@Bansheerider Do you fly your quads good on high rates with acro mode(3 axis)? If yes, I think you should be able to learn the BL's flight style. Find some plush grass and become friends with the throttle hold switch. Find a some rate/expo setting that your finger like, and have some fun!!
Absolutely. I did a flight today and broke the landing gear on a semi hard landing. Guess I need to fix that lol.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 03:45 AM
Find More Posts by ludorc
Joined Jun 2014
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bansheerider View Post
Why would I do that? I'm just simply stating what the manual says for the simulator.
No idea why! I was just trying to make some sense out of the doc.
I guess we'd rather forget the doc.
Please again, see Phoenix rc tutorials for Spektrum Tx by ArchmageAU on helifreaks forum, as well as his guide to make progress in heli piloting in 6 months.
ludorc is offline Find More Posts by ludorc
Old Aug 12, 2015, 09:25 AM
Joined Feb 2014
2,255 Posts
Quote:
No idea why! I was just trying to make some sense out of the doc.
I guess we'd rather forget the doc.
Please again, see Phoenix rc tutorials for Spektrum Tx by ArchmageAU on helifreaks forum, as well as his guide to make progress in heli piloting in 6 months.
Thanks!
Old Aug 12, 2015, 11:05 AM
Find More Posts by HPCR
San Mateo, CA
United States, CA, Foster City
Joined Dec 2012
1,425 Posts
Bansheerider.. So you were lucky,, you had just a " minor" event. Trust us, this is going to be the first of MANY before you have any control of that B/L. Take it easy.. listen to the advice and STAY WELL BACK when you launch the heli. IT WILL BITE YOU to and.... crazy as it may sound.. it will circle back at you and find you and it will find any naked skin you show.. that's where it will aim at..
HPCR is online now Find More Posts by HPCR
Old Aug 12, 2015, 12:01 PM
Find More Posts by HPCR
San Mateo, CA
United States, CA, Foster City
Joined Dec 2012
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bansheerider View Post
That's what I thought. The sim instructions however day to create one profile in the sim using heli settings.
And.. one more thing.. you should have ONE COMPLETELY SEPARATE PROFILE for EACH of the models you fly , whether it is an airplane or a heli.
Now, you can COPY those profiles to a different location in your TX but I am suggesting that you build them from scratch.. Doing that there are NO problems with forgetting to change / modify delete certain settings that will drive you nuts in trying to figure out what is wrong and why one model does not fly " like the other one". ask how I know. This is specifically important with helis.
HPCR is online now Find More Posts by HPCR
Old Aug 22, 2015, 06:00 PM
Find More Posts by Idoitall
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Oct 2009
273 Posts
Hey guys, I have a DX8 that I am using with the mcpx bl. I am just learning inverted flight. It seems when I flip the mcpx that it takes quite a lot of negative collective to keep it from descending than it should. Should I change the settings from the manual to help this, or is this normal?
Idoitall is offline Find More Posts by Idoitall
Old Aug 22, 2015, 08:27 PM
Find More Posts by rcflyair
United States, OK, Ada
Joined Jun 2007
710 Posts
The first thing to do is make sure you have zero degrees of pitch at center stick, and fairly equal amounts of positive and negative pitch. You should be able to find a youtube vid to show you how without much trouble.....
rcflyair is online now Find More Posts by rcflyair
Old Aug 24, 2015, 12:16 AM
Find More Posts by deonjams
Philippines, NCR, QC
Joined Dec 2011
974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idoitall View Post
Hey guys, I have a DX8 that I am using with the mcpx bl. I am just learning inverted flight. It seems when I flip the mcpx that it takes quite a lot of negative collective to keep it from descending than it should. Should I change the settings from the manual to help this, or is this normal?
Check that throttle midstick is zero pitch. Mine was way out, easy to fix by just adjusting swash links (use a swash leveler, always better)
deonjams is offline Find More Posts by deonjams