HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2014, 12:26 PM
Joined Oct 2009
127 Posts
Discussion
What trainer pusher?

Which pusher autogyro is suitable for a first venture? I have been flying a Firefly for quite a while, and apart from the occasional control arm replacement, and tail repair after a blade strike, it is still in one piece. I tried the Falcon out today, after a careful build. I used the Firefly blades as it saved work. The blades ran up on the ground with no difficulty, but it turned out of wind easily. Either way, it wasn't particular, and the last time resulted in a sumersault and instant re-kitting.

Is there a more suitable starting point?
Lazygit is offline Find More Posts by Lazygit
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2014, 03:54 PM
Joined Jan 2013
106 Posts
I would recommend the Whittip, foam bounces really well and if it does break, easy to glue ....

Steve
106flyer is offline Find More Posts by 106flyer
Old Jun 15, 2014, 04:16 PM
Joined Oct 2009
127 Posts
Thanks for the reply Steve. The one problem with that is, the Whippit is a tractor, but I need a pusher.

I am thinking of Mantis or Revolver perhaps, then the question is "where can I buy the plans?" without bothering Rich (again).
Old Jun 15, 2014, 04:24 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,806 Posts
LG,
I have got an EPP Calidus pusher on the drawing board that may fit the bill, I just have just lost momentum and enthusiasm at the moment. When I can get my arse into gear I will be asking for a couple of volunteers to build as I usually do.

What about a Minimum or Spyro?

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Jun 15, 2014, 04:38 PM
Joined Oct 2009
127 Posts
Hello Rich, seems I've bothered you indirectly The Falcon is a bit like the Minimum, but I don't really know what went wrong today, and so I am a bit wary. Too much perhaps. The problem was the construction method of gluing fibreglass to fibreglass, and with an AOT, all the bits came apart. I had been careful to prepare and clean the surfaces, but it doesn't have the qualities of wood. Which is why your designs are good.

Now, as for which model, Spyro would be possible, as would the other twoI mentioned, so I looked to see if you had anything on ebay, or maybe Coolwind was in the loop, but no luck. So I would like to send you some money for some plans Does that sound like a good scheme? Meanwhile I can get on with the Whippit, but I need an easy to fly pusher which can survive reasonably in the inevitable early crashes.

PS Put me down for the Calidus as I now have a stock of EPP. Though the finish is not as good as wood when you are close up.
Last edited by Lazygit; Jun 15, 2014 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Add Calidus.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 04:59 PM
Joined Oct 2009
127 Posts
OK I've found the Spyro sheets, so I just need to know where to send the dosh for the Mantis and the Revolver
Old Jun 15, 2014, 07:45 PM
Joined May 2012
1,068 Posts
I haven't built or flown my first autogyro yet ... but I have built and flow a number of other r/c a/c.

Why don't you get a look at the plans for the Buhl A-1? It sure looks simple enough and although the plans are of the 1:1 a/c ... I think they would be easily adapted to a model.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2150978

T
TedD60 is offline Find More Posts by TedD60
Old Jun 15, 2014, 08:08 PM
Joined Oct 2009
127 Posts
In general you probably know scaling a full size to a model doesn't always work well. Just look how large the tail surfaces have to be compared to the full size proportions.

You need to build and fly an autogyro I think.

The type I am looking for has a fully controlled rotor rather than a fixed rotor on an otherwise fixed wing a/c with small wings.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 02:40 AM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,056 Posts
Hi Mr. Lazygit,

I built a Spyro last year as my first pusher following on from my Crane Fly and Monotwirl. The build is really easy and results in a model which is really tough and yes, I did test this aspect on several occasions

She flew out of my hand so to speak but did need a bit of trimming to get her flying really nicely but it is all covered in the thread.

I have had (I think) 3 major crashes with her (not really due to the design, more my fault) and a snapped mast and a ripped out UC leg were pretty much the only real damage, leg was easy to fix, mast took a bit more fiddling.

I still fly her quite a lot but at the moment my UC configuration is no good for our grass strip so it is hand launching (watch you fingers, I still have the scars ) only. She does take a bit more ‘flying’ than either my Crane or my Burky (not surprising really, both of them could be classed as beginners models) but she does look really funky in the air. I have learnt quite a bit about hang angles and trimming by playing around with her and as she does take a bit more stick stirring she is more of a pilots model if you know what I mean.

My tip, but as this is the only pusher that I have built and/ or flown not really objective, there may be better models out there but with the Spyro you get a cheap, cheerful, easy to build tough model which is a lot of fun to fly.

I hope that this helps,

Paul
PaulB is offline Find More Posts by PaulB
Old Jun 16, 2014, 05:47 AM
Joined Oct 2009
127 Posts
Thanks Paul, very helpful.

We have a marginal grass strip which is being cut too long. Last year was fine but the man moved away. Is too long grass the problem you have?
Old Jun 16, 2014, 06:29 AM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,056 Posts
Combination of long grass and a lack of being steam-rolled this year (too wet and now too dry ).

My UC set up is also not perfect, I have wheels of around 55 mm at the rear and a 60 mm at the front which are a bit small. I have a wire front strut which I need to bend to get the angle of attack up a bit, when taking off if I have back stick to get the blades spinning she tends to bounce around a lot causing tip-over’s, less back stick makes for a far longer ground run increasing the chance of a tip-over, no win

I have got her away many, many times from the ground but 1 in 3 results in a tip-over so now I don’t bother unless the grass is freshly cut and with a slight breeze.

Fifty % is my small wheels, 50% is our strip and 60% is my poor elevator stick control, you do the maths . Don’t be shy of hand launching, the only time that I got ‘bitten’ was because I had 1 finger behind the UC legs which obviously hit the prop, own stupid fault…. Keep all ‘yer digits in front of the UC legs and swing your arm in an arc and nothing can happen, trust me

PaulB is offline Find More Posts by PaulB
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:56 AM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,806 Posts
Spyro is quite an old design now, if it were designed now it would probably be different.
Saying that, I have always wondered what it would be like twice the size. Though I will probably never do this myself I am sure it would work well.
It would be interesting to see.

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:30 PM
Wolverhampton, England
Joined Jun 2010
368 Posts
I'm not falling for that one again!
Ricardo1500 is offline Find More Posts by Ricardo1500
Old Jun 16, 2014, 01:38 PM
Joined Apr 2009
360 Posts
Go on Rich do one go on!
Cali
Cali is online now Find More Posts by Cali
Old Jun 16, 2014, 01:45 PM
Joined Oct 2009
127 Posts
Rich, with the years of hindsight, what would you change, apartfrom its size?