HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

2014 SteadiDrone QU4D And QU4D X Airframes and RTF Rigs!

The 2014 SteadiDrone line of multirotors has been released!

Splash

SteadiDrone does all the hard work for you and puts together a package that will perform!

SteadiDrone is a company based in South Africa that specializes in complete aerial solutions. All the hard work and thinking has been done and the result is a high quality aerial solution that works and works well. Just released are the 2014 StediDrone line of Quads. A slight departure from other years hexacopters, it seems like SteadiDrone has focused on the simplicity of the quadrotor and created a few options that cover a wide range of uses.

2014 SteadiDrone QU4D (1 min 37 sec)

The QU4D Airframe

The QU4D is a GoPro based aerial platform that looks like it would excel as a L.O.S. rig and as a F.P.V. rig. A well thought out and yet familiar layout with some features that I have not seen on any other rigs. The QU4D is a folding quad which will make it easy to transport and even pack in case of airline travel. unique features as a splash/dust guard will ease a little tension when chasing “the shot”. Available as airframe only or as a RTF unit SteadiDrone has all the bases covered.

Airframe only Kits start at $495.00 Complete RTF Copters start at: $1,999.00

@1_1.jpg:

QU4D Specs:

• Camera Options - GoPro, GoPro2 and GoPro3/3+ in hard case
  • Weight - 770g (Including brushless gimbal)
  • Width (Front arms) - 61.5cm
  • Width (Diagonally) - 64.5cm
  • Height (Landing gear unfolded) - 16.5cm
  • Folded Size (L x W x H) - 45.5 x 20 x 10

QU4D Key Features

• Integrated 2-axis brushless gimbal, tilt control, gimbal on/off switch, GoPro compatible in protective cases
  • SteadiDrone 2X Vibration Reduction System built into the airframe motor mounts and 2 axis brushless gimbal
  • Quick Deploy' Folding airframe arms and landing gear gets you ready to fly in seconds without the need for tools!
  • Support for X8 configuration, simply add 4 x motor mounting plates for co-ax motor setups
  • Tool-less entry clear top dome with splash and dust proof filtrex® foam enclosure to keep your electronics safe
  • Ultra durable and great looking carbon fiber construction that will save you money in the long run
  • Agile and high speed, high performance airframe design with various flight modes and prop size options
  • Modular construction, easy to assemble with affordable spare parts
  • Optional carbon fibre prop guards, support up to 12" props

QU4D X.

Also available from SteadiDrone in 2014 is a long flight duration, heavy-lift quad called the QU4D X.

This copter is designed for commercial work and can be configured to do anything from Aerial photography to AG work. With a lifting capacity of 17.5 lbs and a flight time ranging from 20 minutes fully loaded to over an hour with a light payload, this commercial SteadiDrone has a virtually limitless list of uses! A full case, and everything you need to get the rig transported , assembled and into the air is included. The price tag is not for the faint of heart, but if you are the type of person in the market for this type of rig, it’s not a shock. Starting around $14,999.00 this quad is probably not intended for the RC enthusiast but for commercial applications and endeavors!

2014 SteadiDrone QU4D X (1 min 18 sec)

Included in the 2014 SteadiDrone QU4D X RTF

• SteadiDrone QU4D X multirotor system, built, tested and ready to fly out the box!
  • 4 x SteadiDrone 100kv Brushless motors
  • 4 x 28" carbon fiber props
  • 4 x 65A ESC
  • A2 Advanced Flight controller
  • 2.4Ghz Digital Datalink for use with ground station
  • 2.4Ghz Advanced Futaba digital flight control radio system
  • AC/DC Battery charger kit
  • 1 x 2200mah 2s Flight Control lipo battery
  • 4 x 10 000mah 5s lipo batteries (runs in series 10S)
  • Lipo alarm checker
  • SteadiDrone custom Alpine aluminium travel case
  • SteadiDrone lanyard, SteadiDrone Logbook & sticker

Specifications

• Flight times 60+min (2kg add payload 40min / 4kg add payload 30min / 8kg add payload 20min)
  • Payloads Ideal < 8kg, tested 10kg+
  • Weight (Excluding battery & payload) - 3.580kg
  • Width (Back arms) 91cm
  • Width (Diagonally) 124cm
  • Height (Landing gear unfolded) 29cm
  • Folded Size (Excluding props/landing gear/gimbal bracket) (L x W x H) 72 x 33 x 130
  • *Specifications are for standard QU4D X RTF

Pics!

For more information check out: www.SteadiDrone.com

Last edited by Sleepyc; Feb 10, 2014 at 12:10 PM..

Discussion

Old Feb 10, 2014, 12:54 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,148 Posts
looks solid.
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Feb 10, 2014, 05:58 PM
United States, VA, Franklin
Joined Dec 2013
75 Posts
From 495.00 to 14,999.00. Looks like they covered all the price points where I can't play.
Tazwell is offline Find More Posts by Tazwell
Old Feb 10, 2014, 07:07 PM
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
1,994 Posts
Let's say, you buy a $15,000 quad, add a $5,000 camera and you got $20,000 in the air and one motor/ESC fails.... $20,000 shattered.
Or would you invest $15,000 in an Octa?
BenHayat is online now Find More Posts by BenHayat
Old Feb 10, 2014, 08:16 PM
United States, VA, Franklin
Joined Dec 2013
75 Posts
Other than the cost there is a benefit to redundancy. I think I read somewhere two motors out and still flyable with the Octa, payload and thrust dependent I am sure.
Tazwell is offline Find More Posts by Tazwell
Old Feb 11, 2014, 06:35 AM
Multirotor News Contributor
United States, OH, Aurora
Joined Aug 2006
967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHayat View Post
Let's say, you buy a $15,000 quad, add a $5,000 camera and you got $20,000 in the air and one motor/ESC fails.... $20,000 shattered.
Or would you invest $15,000 in an Octa?
I think a lot of people are moving to large quads. I know I have in a few of my commercial rigs. With the quality of motors and esc’s available now and proper maintenance the risk of failure is just as great with an Octo.

Also with flight controls like the superX with data logging a pilot can check his rigs performance motor by motor after each day of flying to see any potential problems developing.

Is there a chance for failure? Sure. But I had a friend do some math for me and with less failure points and less components to fail the statistics for having an issue with a quad are actually less than with an Octo.

And can an octo land with a motor out.. yes... always? No.. depends on the load and the angle of the craft during the failure point.

But, all that said, at that price level the ONLY right answer is the rig that makes YOU personally feel confidant!

Happy flying!
Sleepyc is online now Find More Posts by Sleepyc
Old Feb 11, 2014, 07:50 AM
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Jan 2013
44 Posts
Man I thought Xproheli was bad charging 2 grand.
Jkflorida is offline Find More Posts by Jkflorida
Old Feb 11, 2014, 08:26 AM
Joined Aug 2006
967 Posts
Just for the record.. Just to buy the motors and propellers you are looking at $374 Per set of propellers So $774 in props, $279 PER motor (T-Motor U8) $1116

So that is $1890 in just Motors and propellers.

And remember rigs like that are geared towards commercial entities who don;t want to tinker, they want a unit to work day in and day out, have service ready to go. I am pretty sure when you spend $15K on that rig it comes with personal service to keep that rig flying everyday.

Commercial/industrial rigs have different needs than a hobby copter, and you have to pay for that.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 01:46 PM
Helicopters
United States, MA, Adams
Joined Oct 2008
558 Posts
i landed my flamewheel 450 with 1 motor out before. just sayin'.

very valid point on less components , less points of failure.

and also agree on quality equpiment these days is well , pretty darn solid.!

flight logging yep. thats using it , chekcing your flights and making sure no issues are in it.

price range , HUH!???? 500 to half a million?hehe, motor mount cost how much???

i do note the strange useless asthetic carbon cuts on the frame.... makes no sense.

yep sleepy ,exactly. a few summers ago now , i tried working with some film guy that bought himself a 20,000 hoverfly , whata mess it was.never flew right even though was supposed to be setup professionally and RTF 110%.(it wasnt). needless to say , thats why this guy bought this rig, as it was "RTF" no "hassles" and good "service". well, not gonna say my opinion on those points but.....thats where this cost is supposed to be.quality also.
Airworks is online now Find More Posts by Airworks
Last edited by Airworks; Feb 11, 2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 01:56 PM
Cinestar Jockey
United States, CA, Half Moon Bay
Joined Oct 2012
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepyc View Post
I think a lot of people are moving to large quads. I know I have in a few of my commercial rigs. With the quality of motors and esc’s available now and proper maintenance the risk of failure is just as great with an Octo.
I would agree that the risk of a component failure is even less than with an octo (1/2 as many components in certain systems). However, the possibility of recovery is far greater in an octo. I have personally had an ESC fail in flight, causing one of my Cinestar 8’s motors to stop. At the time the copter was out over the ocean. Interestingly, were it not for the warnings I was getting in the headphones (love that voice telemetry!), I actually wouldn’t even have known. I was flying with altitude hold on, and it didn’t lose any height. And I manually flew it the 150-200 yards back to my position without any problems, and it landed uneventfully.

As you know, if I had been flying a quad, my story would have ended catastrophically.

All of which points to the need for us to all eventually embrace true redundancy in these machines, especially as the value of the payloads continues to increase. Not to mention the safety considerations of a giant multi rotor with 27” carbon fiber props flying over crowds of people. I shudder to think of the consequences...
stevemaller is offline Find More Posts by stevemaller
Old Feb 11, 2014, 02:06 PM
Helicopters
United States, MA, Adams
Joined Oct 2008
558 Posts
have you seen the safeflight idea quad they got , i think production now , . yeh its lightweight , but the motor/ prop protection setup is the idea of the future IMO fully gaurded props. jsut gotta make into a heavyweight secure system. then, you just have to worry about the 25 pounds falling from the sky
Airworks is online now Find More Posts by Airworks
Old Feb 11, 2014, 02:13 PM
Cinestar Jockey
Joined Oct 2012
28 Posts
I’m not talking about prop guards. That’s child’s play. I’m talking about fully (or at least partially) redundant electronics with automatic failover. Lose a battery? There’s another one. Lose an ESC? There’s a way around that. Lose a prop? No problem.

If you have a car that’s less than 10 years old or so, my guess is that it has dual anti-lock braking systems. That’s the kind of thing I’m talking about. And while there has been a demonstration of an algorithm that permits a quad rotor to maintain some measure of control after losing a motor/prop, that’s still quite experimental, and the video clearly shows the copter barely under control.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 04:37 PM
Joined Aug 2006
967 Posts
The reality is right now there is no completely failsafe system. Everyone will use what they know works best for them. Again there is not real “right way” right now.

I too have had a motor go out on a X* config and did not know it until I landed, and I have had a quad with 500 flights on it where i decided to update the bearings “just in case”.

So again.. the fact that everyone here is actually commenting on safety and redundancy is pretty impressive.

One of my new rigs the ZeroUAV HighOne is a Heavy lift quad specifically designed for a GH3. It’s a really nice unit and i have to say I’m loving it. And it has the Genisis Flight Control which actually has 2 of everything. So things are starting to go in that direction!
Old Feb 11, 2014, 04:47 PM
Cinestar Jockey
Joined Oct 2012
28 Posts
I’ve never heard of the Genisis Flight Control. Do you have a link?
I’ve heard that there is a certain degree of redundancy capability built into the new Pixhawk from 3DRobotics, too.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 04:52 PM
Joined Aug 2006
967 Posts
Sorry stupid auto correct.. GEMINI Flight control.
http://www.zerouav.com/en/Product/ch...lieyi/540.html
It works REALLY well. Set up with a Android tablet via wifi is cake. GPS hold and Alt hold is flawless. POI and some other flight features like “Aerial Jib” , way points, and more. I am loving it.