HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 05, 2013, 08:25 AM
United States, AR, Lockesburg
Joined Feb 2012
933 Posts
Build Log
Midwest Citabira Kit Build

My daughter and I are starting a Midwest Citibra Kit that I have had about 15 Years now. Tried to start it last year and the time just wasn’t right. Started looking for supplies for the build and was shocked by how hard it is to find building tools and materials. I do not know how many kits I have enjoyed building and now it is just a dying art. That has all been said before and I must not be looking in the right place. The Tower Hobby catalog has a total of 4 pages of building material. Any links to building tools?

I have a couple questions to start with:

Are all CA glues equal? I have use Jet brand years before with good success. Tried some of the Great Planes CA on an SSX Kit and it just didn’t seem to work like the older CA. I remember to smell that would take your breath away and the heat generated when you used too much kicker, It would even smoke.. Newer CA is different is this just me? What is the best brand now?

Next question is I have used a small X-Acto saw blade that fit in a standard X-Acto handle. It had a very find tooth, maybe 2” long with a 45 on each end. Anyone know where I can find these?
Petrie is offline Find More Posts by Petrie
Last edited by Petrie; May 13, 2013 at 08:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2013, 10:01 AM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,512 Posts
Personally I am not to picky about which brand of CA glue. They all seem pretty similar to me. Note that there are different types though: thin, thick, and medium, as well as foam-safe varieties. You will get a lot of different opinions on how people use and apply glue. Personally I like to use the small tubes that come in a 6-pack. Also I like the kind with a brush applicator.

You can get the razor saws at any hobby shop. If you have a Hobby Lobby craft store they will have it, or possibly a Michaels Crafts shop.

Here's a couple of good online sources for tools and supplies:
http://www.micromark.com/
http://www.a2zcorp.us/
pburress is online now Find More Posts by pburress
Old May 05, 2013, 10:08 AM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrie View Post
Next question is I have used a small X-Acto saw blade that fit in a standard X-Acto handle. It had a very find tooth, maybe 2” long with a 45 on each end. Anyone know where I can find these?
Xacto has really cut down on their product line, but others have picked-up the slack. IMHO, second to X-acto is Zona. Zona offers the blade you're describing:

http://www.zonatool.net/39-924.html

Try your local hobby shop (LHS). Always a good thing to support the small guys in the community first. Plus you save shipping, which can sometimes equal or cost more than your order itself. Tower also stocks them:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLJ71&P=7

Enjoy your build.

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old May 05, 2013, 10:51 AM
Joined Feb 2012
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJWash1 View Post
Xacto has really cut down on their product line, but others have picked-up the slack. IMHO, second to X-acto is Zona. Zona offers the blade you're describing:

http://www.zonatool.net/39-924.html

Try your local hobby shop (LHS). Always a good thing to support the small guys in the community first. Plus you save shipping, which can sometimes equal or cost more than your order itself. Tower also stocks them:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLJ71&P=7

Enjoy your build.

EJWash

Thanks, that is the blade I was looking for. I was just searching for X-Acto not Zona. I now live in the middle of nowhere Arkansas. So My local hobby shop is the keyboard. I see you are from out around Phoenix. I Franks Hobby Shop still in North Phoenix. I still have some of his tags on the stuff where dragging out for the build. He was a great old guy back 15 years ago, so probably not around anymore.
Old May 05, 2013, 11:16 AM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,222 Posts
Frank's? Ha! That's one of my LHSs! They moved around a few times, but the shop is back at T-Bird & 32nd. Not sure if Bernie was there or not when you shopped there, but he has the shop now. Kept Frank's name on it. Limited inventory, but he'll order whatever you want. Takes in used models and accessories. Some of it gets pretty interesting.

EJWash
Old May 05, 2013, 01:49 PM
UAS Pilot/Tech Instructor
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2000
1,441 Posts
I agree, the old Jet and Hot Stuff glues were awesome. The best I've used recently is the Mercury brand. They have two formulations. A general use and a pro.... The pro stuff is awesome but expensive but the other stuff works better than most other brands out now. I wouldn't waste my time with the GP stuff. Its pretty much junk.

Mike
CryHavoc is online now Find More Posts by CryHavoc
Old May 05, 2013, 03:21 PM
Joined Feb 2012
933 Posts
@EJWash1 – Yes, Bernie was his name. Nice guy, He told me once when I brought in my Sig Senorita that he really liked when people built planes right. I still think of that as my best RC compliments.

@CryHavoc - Good to hear it is just not me on the CA glue. My dad, now 81, says the bubble gum was a lot better in his day ,so I guess things change. I’ll look up the Mercury brand and see what I find.

Thanks
Old May 05, 2013, 07:18 PM
"World's Foremost Authority"
South Central Texas
Joined Aug 2009
568 Posts
I've been using mostly Zap ca's since the mid-eighties. They consistently have the longest shelf life and make glue joints that are stronger than the wood. Please don't ask me how I know. The Bob Smith, usually sold as a house brand, like Hobbytown, are an okay choice if you can't get Zap, but the shelf life is not as good.

TP
Tepid Pilot is online now Find More Posts by Tepid Pilot
Old May 07, 2013, 10:51 AM
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,430 Posts
Are you planning on starting a build log? We would love to see the project come together and there are a lot of folks here that could help out. I always wanted to build one of those kits. I had the chance to buy one when I lived in the DC area. They were getting rid of all of their kits (switching their inventory to all ARFs), and this one was the last that they had.

It was marked $80.

I went home without it, and thought about it all week. Went back the next weekend and it was gone
4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron
Old May 07, 2013, 12:17 PM
United States, CO, Arvada
Joined Apr 2005
137 Posts
Here's my build thread from back in 2008.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_77..._1/key_/tm.htm
Rcpilet is offline Find More Posts by Rcpilet
Old May 07, 2013, 01:13 PM
Templeton, CA
Joined Jan 2005
95 Posts
Frank's

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJWash1 View Post
Frank's? Ha! That's one of my LHSs! They moved around a few times, but the shop is back at T-Bird & 32nd. Not sure if Bernie was there or not when you shopped there, but he has the shop now. Kept Frank's name on it. Limited inventory, but he'll order whatever you want. Takes in used models and accessories. Some of it gets pretty interesting.

EJWash
Bernie's last name is Frank so his name (along with his son Marty's) has always been on the hobby shop.
Charlee is offline Find More Posts by Charlee
Old May 07, 2013, 01:50 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Bernie's last name is Frank so his name (along with his son Marty's) has always been on the hobby shop.
Now that's funny! All this time I thought there was a guy with the first name Frank. Every now and then someone would ask what happened to Frank and Bernie would just smile. Now I know why. I'm gonna zing him next time I'm in there.

EJWash
Old May 07, 2013, 02:36 PM
Joined Feb 2012
933 Posts
Thanks for the interest. We would really like to make a build thread. Several things I have questions on the Citibra and would love the input. This is a special and somewhat symbolic build and I want to make it as special I can. My 16 year old daughter Victoria starts at ASMSA (Elite Science and mathematics boarding High School in Hot Spring, AR) in September. She is an artist type that helped me with some graphics on and small electric stick this winter and now she wants to help finish this Citibra kit that she has been looking at her whole life. Not that I needed pushing into build this but it will probably be our last opportunity for a project together. Boarding school….. Collage…… Grad school? …..Marriage ……Grandkids…... Better stop that I’ll start tearing up. When she was born I worried about my hobby time and family time, and little fingers in props, so I sold all my planes and bought this kit and a YS91. Funny thing how now she is kind of giving it back to me. Enough of that sappy stuff and for the build.

Things are busy on the farm in the spring so we are getting everything ordered and the workshop ready to start in couple weeks.
Old May 07, 2013, 10:12 PM
Joined Feb 2012
933 Posts
Got the box open on the bench tonight. Realized what a Bone head I am and have been spelling Citabria wrong.
Old May 07, 2013, 11:08 PM
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,430 Posts
Airbatic spelled backwards!
4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron