HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:23 PM
Joined Sep 2012
344 Posts
Discussion
What a lousy day flying.....

Well, tried to fly 4 things today in 3-5 mph winds and was not successful on any of them really.
First off was my V911 Helicopter, and something is wrong with the trim...... I have adjusted the trim and the arms that control that.... but it still wants to go backwards. How do you check the CG on these? I did not make any solid diagnosis because of the wind. Note that this is my 2nd V911.... first one seemed to perform ok. But, I have broken a wire off the circuit board so it is temporarily out of service.
2nd up was my Champ....... but looks like that can't fly in ANY wind. I also have concluded that I need new 'tail feathers' because what I have do not appear to have any real strength after gluing and taping, ie bend too easy.
3rd was my Wild Hawk.... and I think I made 'some' but very little progress. It did fly for a little bit a couple of times, but last run was a divebomb into the ground and fuselage broke completely. It still seems to veer to the right and goes down nose first. I am about ready to kick this into the garbage!!!! I plan to film my attempts next time.... if I ever get to a next time with it.
4th was my newest plane - a Mini-air SU26. First flight and when hit ground nose first it broke the prop shaft! How do I fix that?
General question....... how big a plane do I need to get so that I can fly successfully in a little wind? Same question with helicopters. Would a T-28 plane do the job?
Thx
Bob6831 is offline Find More Posts by Bob6831
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:52 PM
United States, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Aug 2012
133 Posts
I feel you. I went and flew my nano and 130x pretty well did some upside down flying. not well but I did it. I wanted to fly my planes were I could take off and land over toss and flop. so go down to a deserted parking lot and the trojan was fun. Go to fly my beast after a tree rescue a week ago only to find the elevator not working. I setup a new model on my dx6i to make sure and nope won't work.
So I was going to fly my 130x again only to find the model was somehow changed from that test model and all screwed up.
So went home fixed it charged some more batteries went out to the grass field with my 130x and nano. one flight with the 130x and the tail shaft came apart. flew the nano and the tail boom cracked. easy fixes but it killed flying for that day. of course today is raining.
fooferdoggie is offline Find More Posts by fooferdoggie
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:13 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,352 Posts
Bummer dude, sometimes you just have a day like that. Forget about it and move on.

I think you should be able to fly a Champ in that kind of weather, but you need to fly a little faster than indoors. You'll want to fix the surfaces though - maybe you can use a toothpick sliver or something to strengthen the tail?

Also I agree, the 130X is a good heli for normal breezes of a calm day outside. Very few of the fixed pitch helicopters handle weather very well except some of the flybarless ones, and coaxials are indoor only.

Still, for flying outdoors, you need bigger aircraft. Helis are better in the wind generally than planes due to smaller aerodynamic surfaces, but it's super important that they are operating correctly. So I don't know, see if you can get some bigger aircraft and then you'll be able to handle the weather better.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:41 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,059 Posts
Try "painting" elmers wood glue and your champ's tail, it worked great for my P-51. I have to agree that the champ doesn't like wind but flies amazing in the early morning or late afternoon.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:48 PM
I live on LiPos
United States, DE
Joined Jul 2012
691 Posts
I crashed all 6 planes yesterday
RcAirplaneNoob is offline Find More Posts by RcAirplaneNoob
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:14 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,118 Posts
Most any fixed pitch heli is terrible with any wind, you really need a collective pitch heli for that. Turn the flybar so it points to the left and right, i.e. 90 degrees to the tailboom and then pick it up by the flybar, it should hang level.

Yes the T-28 would handle that wind fine, even the UM T-28 can be flown in some wind as long as you are decent at flying it.
600Bob is online now Find More Posts by 600Bob
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:27 AM
I live on LiPos
United States, DE
Joined Jul 2012
691 Posts
my t28 cuts right through the wind. and the UM t28 is also great as well
RcAirplaneNoob is offline Find More Posts by RcAirplaneNoob
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:22 PM
An Ordinary User
United States, VA, Fluvanna
Joined Jan 2011
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob6831 View Post
Well, tried to fly 4 things today in 3-5 mph winds and was not successful on any of them really.
First off was my V911 Helicopter, and something is wrong with the trim...... I have adjusted the trim and the arms that control that.... but it still wants to go backwards. How do you check the CG on these? I did not make any solid diagnosis because of the wind. Note that this is my 2nd V911.... first one seemed to perform ok. But, I have broken a wire off the circuit board so it is temporarily out of service.
2nd up was my Champ....... but looks like that can't fly in ANY wind. I also have concluded that I need new 'tail feathers' because what I have do not appear to have any real strength after gluing and taping, ie bend too easy.
3rd was my Wild Hawk.... and I think I made 'some' but very little progress. It did fly for a little bit a couple of times, but last run was a divebomb into the ground and fuselage broke completely. It still seems to veer to the right and goes down nose first. I am about ready to kick this into the garbage!!!! I plan to film my attempts next time.... if I ever get to a next time with it.
4th was my newest plane - a Mini-air SU26. First flight and when hit ground nose first it broke the prop shaft! How do I fix that?
General question....... how big a plane do I need to get so that I can fly successfully in a little wind? Same question with helicopters. Would a T-28 plane do the job?
Thx
I'm sorry to say that I don't recommend buying another plane at this point. I would recommend learning to fly your Champ in the wind (I fly in up to 10mph wind with a stock Champ and more with a p51 motor installed). Your Wild Hawk should easily be capable of flying in 20mph wind so you already have 2 planes that you should be able to fly in a little wind.

Sounds like all your planes have some sort of issue though. Buy a new tail for the Champ ($7 - $10) and that's fixed. The Wild Hawk may not have the correct motor thrust angles after the fuselage repair and you may need to redo it.

As for the Mini-Air, you'll be finding out why I say the NitroPlanes/BH models are disposable. I see it uses a brushed motor (8.5mm can) which is very close in size to the Champ motor. You might get lucky and find that a Champ prop shaft with spur gear will fit into the gearbox. Or maybe the Mini-air spur gear will fit on the Champ prop shaft. Other than that, I'd say get the same SU again in kit form. That's why they sell them so cheap anyway.
GooberSB is online now Find More Posts by GooberSB
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:22 PM
Joined Sep 2012
344 Posts
No need to be sorry Goober.........Even though I keep looking at new planes, I really don't want to just be a 'collector' of rc airplanes.
I would appreciate your elaboration of possibly adjusting my motor thrust on my Wild Hawk. I really am frustrated with this plane. I keep seeing people saying how great it is and how easy it is to fly and I can't get it to stay in the air any greater than about 20-30 yards. I don't know if my CG is too far forward or too far backward! Read too many contrary opinions on that! I also have bent my fuselage enough where it is definitely not 100% straight, but I don't know if that should make any difference or not. Also got contrary (see my other thread on Wild Hawk) on whether my motor is good (sounds good) after it or the receiver smoked after 1 landing with Throttle left on.
Thanks for any help.
Note that I am leering at a couple of new planes like the Aerosky Cap 6 Channel, the Dynam "I Can Fly", the Sbach 342, The T-28 (Dynam or Parkzone or FMS ???? please help me decide!), the Yak 54......
See.... I am looking for a plane thats a little bigger than my micros, that I can FLY (unlike my Wild Hawk!), and that can take a little wind, and will not cost me an arm or leg. Also I am still inclined to stay with the RTF planes.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:53 AM
United States, NY, Center Moriches
Joined Feb 2012
157 Posts
If 3-5 mph winds caused you this much trouble I would follow previous advice and learn to actually fly first. Now your looking at the sbach 342, yak 54 and other planes that you quite frankly can't fly. Buying a bigger plane at this point just means bigger pieces to clean up after you crash again. Trust me I've been there. Put the pride aside, fix the champ and fly the hell out of it. When you can fly that in 5-10 mph winds then go for the T-28.
John S. is offline Find More Posts by John S.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:08 AM
United Kingdom, Wales, Swansea
Joined Aug 2012
510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John S. View Post
If 3-5 mph winds caused you this much trouble I would follow previous advice and learn to actually fly first... Put the pride aside, fix the champ and fly the hell out of it. When you can fly that in 5-10 mph winds then go for the T-28.
I rarely have the luxury of such gentle wind, but that's exactly what I thought with the Mini J3 Cub. A really tough little plane which I repaired many times. I stuck with it through thick and thin, made some modifications and had some nice flights - until it hit some railings and was totalled. The hardware bits will come in very handy though!

What you have to watch after a repair is that everything still lines up properly and works just the way it's supposed to - not always easy to figure out!
FlyBoy20 is online now Find More Posts by FlyBoy20
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:55 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,317 Posts
I would recommend the Bixler Sky Surfer. It is a large plane with about an 8 ft wingspan and it has a really great wing. The larger your craft, the better it will be in the wind, as a general rule of thumb. Also, the Bixler has both ailerons as well as flaps. If the Bixler was out when I was first learning, that would have been my first choice.

I do not recommend the T-28 for one main reason. It is way too roll-happy. I'd have to say reserve planes with very short wing moments like that for intermediate flying.
I tried a T-28 when I was new too, but I found it hard to control for that reason.

I think the Cessna would be a nice choice, but if you're looking for a good high-wing plane for training, I think you should consider the Multiplex Fun-Cub. What a great plane that is! And I've found Multiplex planes to be extremely durable, like the Eveready Bunny! I learned on a Multiplex Easystar and once tried to fly it through a barbed wire fence at full speed. It survived, although I had to carve a block of balsa and replace a section of leading edge.

I do not recommend an original Easystar though because #1, it is almost fatally underpowered with the Speed 400 brushed motor and tiny 5" prop, #2, it is a tail feather 3-channel plane and in that form it has terrible wind handling qualities, and #3, for a tail feather plane, it has an almost fatally small rudder.
BUT...once you fix all those problems, it too is an excellent choice.
So if you wanted to consider an Easy Star II (has ailerons), it should do well in wind.

However, the Bixler is probably your best choice.
builderdude is online now Find More Posts by builderdude
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:15 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
We all have those days. I've had a tough year plagued by brownouts. Then I solve one problem to create another. Stick to foam til you get good too. Try a PZ Trojan. They are a very easy plane to fly once you get good
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:59 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by builderdude View Post
I would recommend the Bixler Sky Surfer. It is a large plane with about an 8 ft wingspan and it has a really great wing. The larger your craft, the better it will be in the wind, as a general rule of thumb. Also, the Bixler has both ailerons as well as flaps. If the Bixler was out when I was first learning, that would have been my first choice.
Here's another vote for the Bixler. It's the main trainer/sport flyer at my club. Wasn't planned, things just turned out that way -- I think we're up to four or five now, and I haven't seen one crashed yet (Allan's got a burned out servo in the wing from a hard landing, and that's it).

Maiden Flight of Arnold's Bixler - September 30th, 2012 (4 min 51 sec)
V-Man is offline Find More Posts by V-Man
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: YouTube Channel - CallSignVMan
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:36 AM
Joined Sep 2012
344 Posts
John, it isn't pride........ I just am enticed by advertisements I see for these other planes. I want to be able to fly the planes I have now...... but seem to be having to do too much repair on them, so I look at new planes with hope that they will be more durable and maybe handle wind and minor crashes better. I am NOT looking for big 8 foot airplanes. I am inclined to go for the ~30 inch plane next..., one that I can see in the sky better, one that maybe won't be as fragile as my Champ and my SU-26. And my local park would not be suitable for anything big.
So would appreciate any help in repairs and flying my Wild Hawk.