Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 20, 2014, 08:32 AM
Joined Dec 2012
119 Posts
Thanks for your fast answer celloguy.

So you think something like this would be better?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html

Would probably give me more speed aswell.
MogA is offline Find More Posts by MogA
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2014, 08:54 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Apr 2013
578 Posts
One of the 22mm ones might be better. Maybe http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html when it's back in stock. Higher wattage.

There are some posts about FPV on the Bonsai so you're really want to look at those first. I know nothing about FPV. Might be worth checking the Bonsai thread in the FPV forum. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1512697
CelloGuy is offline Find More Posts by CelloGuy
Old Jul 20, 2014, 09:12 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,903 Posts
My set up of this motor http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...or_3000kv.html with 4.75 x 4.75 prop,30a esc, 850 3s lipo and 9 g HXT900's does quite well and happily carries my 40g Mobius.
I'd try to keep any FPV gear as close to the c of g as possible
Here's an unedited video of my Bonsai taking the Mobius for a quickie over the park
Bonsai flying wing with onboard Mobius video camera (2 min 56 sec)
not the smoothest of flights when compared to my Bixler carrying the same camera
Bixler over Ladies Bay & Le Grand Havre, Guernsey (5 min 37 sec)

Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Jul 20, 2014, 09:58 AM
Joined Dec 2012
119 Posts
Wow andy, that thing goes. Im looking for exactly something like this.

How does the motor handle the 3s ? On the page it says 2s only.

Do you know the exact amp draw?

Again, Thanks for all the help guys.

Moga

Edit: Put together a cart on HK. What do you guys think?
Last edited by MogA; Jul 20, 2014 at 10:38 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:42 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,903 Posts
Since shooting the video last year I did swap the motor for the Blue Wonder version. Just tested it with a fresh 40c 3s 800 lipo and it pulls 12 amps for 140 watts.
I had good success with the same power set up on my scratch built KFm-4 wing (4.5 x 4.5 prop) and HK's Parkjet.
Mini Wing KFm-4. 610 span. Shot with #16 HD Keycam (2 min 20 sec)

Parkjet on 3000kv Blue Wonder motor (4 min 15 sec)

Andy
Old Jul 20, 2014, 11:30 AM
Joined Dec 2012
119 Posts
So you think I'd be fine with a 20 amp ESC? On the other side, better safe than sorry and the 30 amp ESC is cheaper than the 20 amp ESC (lol ). And they are also roughly the same size so there isnt much against a 30 amp ESC. The good thing would be that I could use JST connectors if it only pulls about 12 amps.
Am I correct with the undarstanding that the bloody wonder is basically the same just rebranded?

Moga
Old Jul 20, 2014, 12:18 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,903 Posts
"bloody wonder" I think you mean "blue wonder". There is not a lot of difference between the pole and stator style motors so I'd go for what's available
http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking...arehouse_.html
I would go for the 30 amp esc and this one works well
http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking...hless_ESC.html as it copes well with the high kv motor.
If you want to see how fast this motor can propel a model plane then look at this video
The Wicked Little Babyshark Depron foamie RC micro speed plane (3 min 17 sec)

I'm sure it would leave most stock fast RTF models in it's tiny wake
Andy
Old Jul 20, 2014, 01:29 PM
Joined Dec 2012
119 Posts
haha yeah, of course I meant to say blue wonder =P

I just wanted to place my order but HK declined because my debit card has 50 cent to few loaded I realised after I treid >.<. (After I removed the servos and used my HK bonus -.-).

So Ill have to wait some days to order, so that I can charge my debit card again.

Just a quick question because Im curious: What does the AE-30a ESC better than the Plush?

Thanks again for your help and have a great start in the week!

Moga
Old Jul 20, 2014, 02:57 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,903 Posts
Not sure it's actually better but I know it works well with the higher kv motor whereas some esc just stutter on opening the throttle due to timing issues.
Andy
Old Jul 20, 2014, 07:28 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Apr 2013
578 Posts
Some ESCs have a faster switching frequency than others. The Plush ones aren't too bad. If you want to go nanoshark fast they say it can only be done with a ZTW. You can get them at Hobbyking as a Blue Series or Mystery ESC - same as ZTW just re-branded. Only makes a difference at very high speed though and for that you need a high discharge battery, a low-drag air frame and a lot more current than Andy is pulling.

I've got two Bonsais and one of mine has the 3000kv motor and the other an sk3. The 3000kv goes faster but is less efficient - the high-drag surface means that a fair chunk of the power is being used to overcome friction. The sk3 draws about 6 or 7A and the 3000kv isn't anywhere near twice as fast. Anyway, none of that really matters as long as you have enough power left for the FPV set up. Like I said, I've never tried it but will you be running that from the same battery or does it have its own power? Closest I've come is sticking a keychain camera on the Bonsai but that has its own battery.
CelloGuy is offline Find More Posts by CelloGuy
Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM
Joined Dec 2012
119 Posts
Im gonna power it from the flight battery, the 25 mW Tx together with the cam shouldnt pull too much. Might upgrade to 250mW or 600 mW later down the road, but even that should be managable.

Thanks for your explanations with the ESCs, I think ill take the plush one since I've heard a lot of good things about it.

Again, I really appreciate your help.

Moga