HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:07 AM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
Haslemere, Surrey.
Joined Nov 2003
1,323 Posts
Discussion
MK back in the air after a LOOOONG sebatical

Well, I decided that I ought to dedicate some time to my dormant MK that has been gathering dust in the corner of my room for about 1.5 years... Last time I tried to fly it, I had all sorts of troubles with gyros being unstable, the MK tilting and heading off in any old direction and generally poor control when flying...

So I decided to take the Flight Controller off the frame and run it on my desk for a period of time and monitor the gyro scopes... all was fine and so I flashed the latest firmware, set the controls as dictated in the help section of the MK site (http://www.mikrokopter.com/ucwiki/en...riebnahme/Help) step by step... I noticed one (possibly vital) step that I had never followed and that was to make sure that the control throws give a range from 0-254 by setting endpoints on each channel.

Anyway, after following the steps to the end I levelled the MK (across the prop adapters NOT on the MK Flight Controller) and calibrated the ACC. Went out the field at the back of my house and committed her to the air...

Wow!!! what a difference... it's quite blowy here and the MK was handling the wind fine!!! I had to correct position on occasion but that's to be expected... I then decided to tentatively check out the new "vario" height control... This can be activated at a set height and then neutralling the throttle stick will hold height... move the stick up and the vario beeps quicker and quicker with the MK gaining height, move the stick neutral and the MK holds height, move the throttle stick down, and the beeps start up again but this time the MK sinks... I had the MK stuck at height with my hand hovering over the throttle and just moving it around the sky with the right stick...

Now for all you MK owners that have been following the progression of the code over that last 1.5 years this is probably not too exciting... but for me coming back to the platform after all that time away.. it's a revelation!!!

Suffice to say I had about 10-12 minutes of great flight, before my battery (part charged) decided it had, had enough...

All in all a great experience coming back, and look out for more "in the trees" type vids like I've posted before over the coming summer!

MikroKopter, Autumn Colours and a Stream (5 min 54 sec)

Cheers,
Terry.
chargenut is offline Find More Posts by chargenut
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:00 AM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,357 Posts
I remember when you got yours! I dreamed, at that time, of having one. Now I have a quad and really enjoy it! It sure is good to see you posting again. Great video!
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:05 AM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quailbird View Post
I remember when you got yours! I dreamed, at that time, of having one. Now I have a quad and really enjoy it! It sure is good to see you posting again. Great video!
Welcome back Terry - I too remember wanting to get into multirotors but the price was just to high - I watched you MK videos and dreamed - Sounds like I wasn't the only one-
cdi3d is online now Find More Posts by cdi3d
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:13 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
I fly my quads and my 450SE more than I fly anything else these days. My HRQ is just as fast as a lot of planes and doesn't require a runway.
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:45 AM
Israel, Ness Ziona
Joined Sep 2004
4,633 Posts
Welcome back terry
Always here ..with the good people all over..
Guy
guyg is offline Find More Posts by guyg
Old Feb 22, 2012, 03:29 AM
Smile & wave
Lancing West Sussex
Joined Jun 2005
3,433 Posts
So good to see you have got the MK going again Terry.

Gray.
Gray is offline Find More Posts by Gray
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:22 AM
Supersonic Engineering
UK, Greater London, Uxbridge
Joined Mar 2001
3,095 Posts
Terry - Glad to hear that you've had a successful 'revival' of your MK - perhaps that's what I need to do to mine! What main board version do you have and what firmware did you load?
GordonTarling is offline Find More Posts by GordonTarling
Old Feb 22, 2012, 05:44 AM
I fly with my little eye
Lancashire, England
Joined Jul 2005
1,834 Posts
Good to see the MK airborne again: Yours was the first quad I ever saw in the flesh, I remember feeling complete astonishment.

"It hung in the air in the way bricks don't" to quote Douglas Adams

Just wiring my first quad up, so it might be around for the summer meet!

Cheers

Andrew
Swanlander is offline Find More Posts by Swanlander
Old Feb 22, 2012, 01:35 PM
United Kingdom, England, Manchester
Joined Apr 2005
897 Posts
Not wanting to hijack the thread but what have you bought Andrew?

I remember seeing Terry's MK in all its LED glory at night. It convinced me to get my Conrad.

Richard
Bearded Flyer is online now Find More Posts by Bearded Flyer
Old Feb 22, 2012, 06:09 PM
I fly with my little eye
Lancashire, England
Joined Jul 2005
1,834 Posts
Hi Richard,

As ever, I went for the cheap (as in loads of work to do before you lift off) option:

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/x525-v3-q...lticopter.html

Straightforward mechanically, but the firmware flashing programming has me scratching my already sparse thatch. (No manual included and the instructions gleaned from the web are...minimal) Still, it is a good challenge for an old dog.

Cheers

Andrew
Swanlander is offline Find More Posts by Swanlander
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:37 PM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
Haslemere, Surrey.
Joined Nov 2003
1,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quailbird View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdi3d View Post
Welcome back Terry - I too remember wanting to get into multirotors but the price was just to high - I watched you MK videos and dreamed - Sounds like I wasn't the only one-
Thanks Guys... I never realised that my MK flying had inspired anyone! I was well into electronics back then, and this platform interested me so much I had to get a "blank" board and solder all the components on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearded Flyer View Post
I remember seeing Terry's MK in all its LED glory at night. It convinced me to get my Conrad.
Hmmm, was that the hover over Oliviers tent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanlander View Post
Straightforward mechanically, but the firmware flashing programming has me scratching my already sparse thatch. (No manual included and the instructions gleaned from the web are...minimal)
Hmmm might be able to help you with that Andrew, I know that DaveB has a KK board and I'm sure he (and me) had it fired up once to see if it all worked... think he might be able to help with flashing (and I might too with some googling first).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonTarling View Post
Terry - Glad to hear that you've had a successful 'revival' of your MK - perhaps that's what I need to do to mine! What main board version do you have and what firmware did you load?
My Main board is now a pre-soldered SMD V1.3 board and I have now loaded the latest firmware (0.86d), I think the main things I have done differently is:
  • Set the RX type to Spektrum Satellite (not HiRES or LowRES).
  • Set the control travel end points on my TX to give me 0-254 ranges in all the channels in the MKTool.
  • Level the MK across the prop adapters (level the propellors NOT the FlightController) for initial ACC calibration.

Then it just flew... I probably need to change the PID values a bit, to really lock it in... but am definately saving the current configuration first to make sure I have that to go back to!!!

Cheers all, and thanks for your well wishes!!
Terry
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:37 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,083 Posts
kk setup with latest firmware is very nice flying FCB. you do have to fly it since it lacks accel, but it is very smooth. great board. the flashing is easy as well.
askman is online now Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:49 PM
Supersonic Engineering
UK, Greater London, Uxbridge
Joined Mar 2001
3,095 Posts
Thanks Terry, I'll load that firmware and give it a try!
GordonTarling is offline Find More Posts by GordonTarling
Old Feb 26, 2012, 09:18 PM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
Haslemere, Surrey.
Joined Nov 2003
1,323 Posts
Here's a brief video taken from the MK on a GoPro, out in the field at the back of my house.

Give an idea of stability now...

I need to move that landing gear!!!

MKFieldFlight-24-02-2012.mp4 (5 min 23 sec)

Cheers,
Terry.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 05:25 AM
Kite flying SCRAPS member
Hampshire, UK
Joined Apr 2004
977 Posts
Nice one Terry glad to see the MK back in the air - we'll have to get formation multicopters going at the AP meet ups

Andrew I had some teething troubles trying to figure out how the flach the KK board - I see there is a Flash tool availabkle for free download which might make things easier for you. I am not sure if its version specific or if it has one that will suit but its well worth investigating

Cheers
DaveB...>
GliderGuideMan is offline Find More Posts by GliderGuideMan