Old Oct 26, 2011, 12:50 PM
Newbie RC'r and member
United Kingdom, England, Haywards Heath
Joined Sep 2011
207 Posts
Discussion
I HATE the honey bee v2!

Hate is a strong word...

Maybe cuz i havent tried this in no wind. but please hear me out. This might be a bit long but i will type in paragraphs so you wont be bored!

2 things. First, If you owned a solo pro or a micro heli, you know that, after moving right (for example) the heli goes to the right and when you take your hand off the stick, the heli levels it self out. Does that hapen to the Honey bee v2? I want to know if its the wind or the helis behaviour. Does it do that or should I re level the heli by rolling a bit to the left?

Secondly, SO damn unstable. SO i did blade tracking thingy and I fixed it. But still damn vibrations before taking off. But stable in flight (without training gear). with the training gear, its a whole other story. Its shaking more than a stoned epeleptic at a strobe light disco who is holding in his pee!!!

and another thing. The canopy pin always falls off aparently and i was told to use those little rubber bands from braces. but i dont know the right way (or any way)to put them on.

Main problem,
The heli responds after like 500 ms from input from tx.

Thanks again guys, you guys helped me out in this hobby when i gave up hope. I hope you will save me again!
felixthemaster is offline Find More Posts by felixthemaster
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2011, 12:51 PM
Newbie RC'r and member
Joined Sep 2011
207 Posts
edit. every time i fly, the blade unbends itself and i have to do blade tracking again!
Old Oct 26, 2011, 12:52 PM
Newbie RC'r and member
Joined Sep 2011
207 Posts
note: I broke the blades so i ordered the carbon fiber reinforced ones which i hope will hold the "bend" :P
Old Oct 26, 2011, 01:23 PM
Newbie RC'r and member
Joined Sep 2011
207 Posts
never mind about the canopy thing I found the video

honeybee v2 tips.AVI (7 min 21 sec)

skip to 2:30
Old Oct 26, 2011, 01:38 PM
Joined Dec 2007
6,523 Posts
This is pretty funny........what you are describing is flying REAL helis! The other helis you describe are self stabilizing trainer helis that can be mastered by most within hours. True single rotor 90 degree flybar helis do not self stabilize like coaxials and other trainer helis with heads like them. Did you really think flying a heli was that easy? Why would sims exists if anyone could pick one up and do it that easily?

If you are going to progress to a real CP heli then you will need to keep at it until it "clicks". This takes time, patience and a commitment to learn. The other option is to go back to your trainer helis and be bored within weeks. The head design of the HB does have a delay in inputs, but this is common trait for any heli without full Bell Hiller head on it.
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Old Oct 26, 2011, 01:49 PM
Newbie RC'r and member
Joined Sep 2011
207 Posts
SO all this is normal? and I have to re stabilise after an input? okay. that is what i needed to know.

I will go at it!
Thanks for saving me from the deep end

to be honest, i started flying because i wanted to fly the honey bee v2 and biggers helis for fun and i never found any interest in 3d flying except for amazing people. But amazing people isnt worth all that time. I just want to master 4 channels.

Maybe, just maybe, i might start getting into CP's but the head designs are more complecated and i find repairing a solo pro hard let alone a honey bee LET ALONE A CP! I am bad with practicle repairs n stuff. so i will stick to hbv2 for now
Old Oct 26, 2011, 01:50 PM
Newbie RC'r and member
Joined Sep 2011
207 Posts
forgive my spelling. that is a characteristic of my typing
Old Oct 26, 2011, 02:02 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
Yep, 90 deg flybar helis all react like that, it only does exactly what you tell it to do then stops doing it when you stop. So if you input right aileron then it will roll right until you stop inputting but... it will not go back up right until you tell it to, so you ALWAYS need to be on the sticks.

CP heads are slightly more complicated but only in that the swashplate moves up and down. If you get flybarless they are actually less complicated mechanically but more complicated electronically. The major advantage of a CP heli is you always have control, even when you're descending. That's the big disadvantage of a FP, you can only descend by reducing throttle which also reduces control.
Druss is offline Find More Posts by Druss
Old Oct 26, 2011, 02:05 PM
Joined Dec 2007
6,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthemaster View Post
SO all this is normal? and I have to re stabilise after an input? okay. that is what i needed to know.

I will go at it!

to be honest, i started flying because i wanted to fly the honey bee v2 and biggers helis for fun and i never found any interest in 3d flying except for amazing people. But amazing people isnt worth all that time. I just want to master 4 channels.

Maybe, just maybe, i might start getting into CP's but the head designs are more complecated and i find repairing a solo pro hard let alone a honey bee LET ALONE A CP! I am bad with practicle repairs n stuff. so i will stick to hbv2 for now
That is correct. True 90 degree flybar or FBL helis stay at whatever attitude you last left it until you correct that attitude. You must be moving the sticks at all times just to maintain hover and you must anticipate what the heli is going to do and counter it. It comes natural after time but at first feel like you have to think about every little thing you are doing. Actually if you are thinking and only reacting to something the heli is already doing, you are already too late. You don't hold continuous forward elevator on a real heli like you do to keep a self stabilized heli moving forward. Do that with a real heli and you will drill it into the ground! You get it moving forward and it will keep going that way until you pull back. You are going to have to un learn the bad habits the other helis have taught you.

This is the double edge sword all of these new self stabilizing helis on the market have created now. People think because they fly the crap out of their MSR that they are now a qualified single rotor pilot. In the not too distant past you started with a coax and then moved to the HBFP which was a big dose of reality and let you know what you were in for. It's not an easy heli to fly but if you can fly it well you will be ready to move on.
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Old Oct 26, 2011, 02:16 PM
Newbie RC'r and member
Joined Sep 2011
207 Posts
Ah i see! also, since there is a lag, wont it be too late to correct?

any ways of shortening the responce? maybe stand closer or fly with no radio interference or something
Old Oct 26, 2011, 02:18 PM
Joined May 2005
1,113 Posts
Quote:

I will go at it!

The HoneyBee is the best heli to teach real flying because it exhibits all the chracteristics of a real RC heli without any of the autostabilization gimmicks. It will take time, but once you can fly this, you can pretty much jump into anything. Just be patient and don't fly until you can hover it perfectly in all directions.
GetterDragun is offline Find More Posts by GetterDragun
Old Oct 26, 2011, 02:28 PM
My other addiction!
Marysville, Ca., US
Joined Jan 2007
1,650 Posts
The response time you are experiencing is a direct result of the HB FP using a Hiller rotor head. Your inputs change the pitch of the flybar paddles, which then change the cyclic pitch of the main rotor blades. Since radio waves travel near the speed of light, standing ten feet closer won't do much. As others have said, your frustration is partly caused by the false confidence that the msr's and sr120's and the like, will give a new flyer. Unfortunately, they don't fly anything like a CP heli, or a 90* FP. But, also as others have said, once you can fly the HB with confidence, you can fly pretty much any heli.
Keep at it and good luck.
norcalheli is offline Find More Posts by norcalheli
Old Oct 26, 2011, 03:10 PM
Newbie RC'r and member
Joined Sep 2011
207 Posts
wow! I thought getting the soloo pro was a good idea! (well, its pretty darn fun as a toy cuz i dont have to worry about breaking it or injuring someone!!)

So thats why i cant do banked turns on a solo pro! maybe i should have started with a commanche or a co axial like that!

other than nuttcase, do u recomment any other person with many usefull videos on hbv2?
Old Oct 26, 2011, 03:13 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2011
369 Posts
The only real adjustment that needs to be made with any frequency is the fly bar paddle. Even the smallest of incidents will likely knock them off pitch. It's easy to just eyeball it against the horizontal top of the cage. Otherwise you really don't have to do anything in terms of adjustments. I used to assume that everything had to be set perfectly and that because it wasn't, that was the reason I could not fly. I found out later that this is very wrong. Unfortunately I started my heli "career" with a Blade CP. A total disaster that I blamed on the heli setup. Some years later after getting back into the hobby with a coax and then the HB FP, I finally realized that it was just me and I needed time for it to click. A simulator aided tremendously and gave me that first "click moment".

The HB is a fantastic and fun heli to fly because it is challenging and what you are experiencing now as frustration will soon give way to automatic responses. Heck I even flew the thing with the battery rumbling around inside the canopy! I consider myself an advanced beginner or low intermediate, so this does not require great skill just time and some muscle memory.

I have the V1 and I secure my smaller lipo with Velcro. The center of balance is way off on the V1 so I also put some weight inside the canopy at front which gets it close enough. Even that doesn't need to be perfect.

It's you, not the heli. Give it some more time and you will be fine. I also found that watching the spinning rotors gave me an indication of which way the heli was planning to go. After a bit you won't need that, but it may help you. It's sort of like looking at the wheels on a car that is driving next to you. You can detect subtle changes that indicate the car is coming into your lane before you can tell by looking at the body.
C6Silver is offline Find More Posts by C6Silver
Old Oct 26, 2011, 03:31 PM
My other addiction!
Marysville, Ca., US
Joined Jan 2007
1,650 Posts
Quote:
wow! I thought getting the soloo pro was a good idea! (well, its pretty darn fun as a toy cuz i dont have to worry about breaking it or injuring someone!!)

So thats why i cant do banked turns on a solo pro! maybe i should have started with a commanche or a co axial like that!

other than nuttcase, do u recomment any other person with many usefull videos on hbv2?
The solo pro and the like teach orientation, and get you used to flying. Plus they are fun!! Their only problem is that you don't learn to counteract each command like you have to with 90* flybar helis. It will come, though. I don't know of anyone in particular with videos and the like, but you might try searching in the micro forum for "Honey Bee Fixed Pitch" or "HBFP". There were a number of long threads just a few years ago, and they should still come up on a search. Good luck and stay with it. The day you have your "Ahah!!" moment you will never forget.
norcalheli is offline Find More Posts by norcalheli