HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Today, 11:40 AM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
2,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick1 View Post
Steve, is your box only helpful for smaller batteries, or also with 2600s+ (I suspect I will end up biting the bullet on 2600s, esp since I can also use them in my Vype. The 2200s will be too short a flight time + sounds like real balance issues on the Slick). Can you send me a pic? I may be interested if they are also helpful for 2600s.

jtaylor, thanks for the tip on the gecko, just read a review and it looks promising so will explore that. I'm all in favor of simplicity. You use the 85A (next smaller size is 65A)?
If I was doing it over I'd go with 2800's to maybe even a lighter weight 3000 pack. Easier to strap the battery in and longer flight times.
Bloosee is online now Find More Posts by Bloosee
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 12:35 PM
USA, NJ, West Paterson
Joined Feb 2008
1,250 Posts
+1 I am using 3000 mah lipos I started with 2600 and it was hard to get strapped in and short flight times I tried some 3300's and liked the flight times but it was a tad heavy. So I bought a few glacier 3000's and it's perfect 8 min flights and easy to strap in
jamesrini is offline Find More Posts by jamesrini
Old Today, 12:51 PM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,344 Posts
Steve's box certainly works, but if you are in a hurry and can't (or don't want to wait), or, if you are cheap, like me, this method works great...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=26539
Lardog is online now Find More Posts by Lardog
Old Today, 02:19 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
998 Posts
Another +1. If I wasn't sharing batteries I'd ditch my 2600s and get heavier lipos. Currently I'm using the 2600s with 28 grams of lead glued to the firewall so the battery is in the general range I can easily strap it in. Sacrilegious putting weight in a Slick I know, but 3000 mAh are about 40 grams heavier than the 2600s I've got, and by using the lead instead of the bigger lipo I get to share lipos with the other plane.
I have one of Steve's nice boxes but I haven't mounted it yet since I'm still not convinced I've got the perfect cg - for whatever reason I still haven't really connected with this plane and until I do I want to keep all the adjustment options open.
AeroKen is online now Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Today, 02:24 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick1 View Post
Steve, is your box only helpful for smaller batteries, or also with 2600s+ (I suspect I will end up biting the bullet on 2600s, esp since I can also use them in my Vype. The 2200s will be too short a flight time + sounds like real balance issues on the Slick). Can you send me a pic? I may be interested if they are also helpful for 2600s.

jtaylor, thanks for the tip on the gecko, just read a review and it looks promising so will explore that. I'm all in favor of simplicity. You use the 85A (next smaller size is 65A)?
Nope...I use Flight Max 3300's in my plane. When I designed the box, I kept in mind that lots of different people use lots of different batteries. You can find photos "here"

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Today, 02:31 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroKen View Post
Another +1. If I wasn't sharing batteries I'd ditch my 2600s and get heavier lipos. Currently I'm using the 2600s with 28 grams of lead glued to the firewall so the battery is in the general range I can easily strap it in. Sacrilegious putting weight in a Slick I know, but 3000 mAh are about 40 grams heavier than the 2600s I've got, and by using the lead instead of the bigger lipo I get to share lipos with the other plane.
I have one of Steve's nice boxes but I haven't mounted it yet since I'm still not convinced I've got the perfect cg - for whatever reason I still haven't really connected with this plane and until I do I want to keep all the adjustment options open.
When I designed the box, I made it a bit longer than is actually needed, thus you would still have the ability to move the battery back or forward a bit to adjust for final CG... just mount it a bit more forward than you think it will need to be. And...as it is mounted with screws (there are multiple screw holes) you can move it as needed fi you find you don't have it where you like it.

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Today, 02:46 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
When I designed the box, I made it a bit longer than is actually needed, thus you would still have the ability to move the battery back or forward a bit to adjust for final CG... just mount it a bit more forward than you think it will need to be. And...as it is mounted with screws (there are multiple screw holes) you can move it as needed fi you find you don't have it where you like it.

SteveT.
That's great if you're sure you're in the fine tuning range
Problem is once I got the other plane I connected with it on the first flight, and the slick hasn't gotten in the air much since then. What I really need to do is leave the other plane home some time and fly the slick until I figure out how to connect with it.
AeroKen is online now Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Today, 03:45 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
2,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroKen View Post
That's great if you're sure you're in the fine tuning range
Problem is once I got the other plane I connected with it on the first flight, and the slick hasn't gotten in the air much since then. What I really need to do is leave the other plane home some time and fly the slick until I figure out how to connect with it.
Once you get the Slick dialed in you probably WILL leave the other planes home
Bloosee is online now Find More Posts by Bloosee