Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 09, 2007, 11:22 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,573 Posts
Question
Mods for Piccolo to hover better??

I got a old Piccolo that I was barely able to hover, years ago. Since then I've been flying parkflyers. But I've been collecting micro helis along the way.
I got several Piccolos, 2 Hummingbirds, 2 Dragonflys, 3 Hornets, and several Vipers for when I get better at helis.
I'm only interested in hovering at this point and I'm able to hover on my picco-fly sim at 130%, so I figure I'm about ready.
I've spent a couple evenings searching the threads on mods, but its very overwelming.
For now, all I need is the basic mods to hover in the house. I have tons of spare rotors, motors, etc, plus over 100 lipos, 2 and 3 cell, 170mah to 2100.
And about 20 nimh for Piccolos and Hornets.
Anyone got a minute to help?? Thanks, Butch
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2007, 11:45 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,421 Posts
Sorry.....put a hummingbird head on it.
Matthew Cotten is offline Find More Posts by Matthew Cotten
Old Mar 10, 2007, 12:15 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,224 Posts
I have Kyosho m24 blades and Hummingbird V3 flybar paddles. With the brushless motor it flies very nice, needs higher head speed with the m24 blades. Many other mods but these helped the most with its hover ability.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Mar 10, 2007, 12:39 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,573 Posts
I've got a couple Hummingbirds I could rob the parts. Whats the differnce??
Old Mar 10, 2007, 04:06 AM
0 Carbon fp? don't breed!
www.dhrc.rchomepage.com Gloucester/Cheltenham Gloucester, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Oct 2004
2,161 Posts
I think the main difference between the Hbird and Pic is the stock RPM on the Hbird is slightly higher and therefore gives a better handling feel, change or cut the blades. I also hear the stock brushed motor is better in the Hbird but can't confirm.

Piccolo setup: Indoors can get away with a light setup on 2 cells, though I always preferred the feel of 3 cells especially outdoors. To improve handling try:
- Lower pitch blades (like M24 Kyoshi) or trim the trailing edges a few mm (search for V-cuts) to increase head speed a little, increasing gyroscopic stability a bit.
- Longer CF flybar (200mm) to increase paddle air speed to give better cyclic response. Or use 2mm steel for more stable hovering. Take steel off for outdoor flights as it increases rotor inertia response to throttle changes, something you don't want on an FP is throttle lag (up or down).

Other mods:
Lithium cells 800-1320mAh
DD tail upgrade
Head stiffener, reduces cone angle and helps stop piccolo head twisting under load for better tracking (sometimes).
Brushless if you have a light weight one hanging around (2000Kv-3000Kv for 11.1v 3 cells, 3500Kv-4200Kv for 7.4v 2 cells??)

I've left a lot of my old Piccolo adventures still up on my site http://dhrc.rchomepage.com/ just note that technology has moved on a bit since them.
DarkHorse is offline Find More Posts by DarkHorse
Old Mar 10, 2007, 07:19 AM
Detroit, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
133 Posts
a few small things made my piccolo hover hands off, first, Trimming the stock blades, I forgot the cut, but I followed directions on Pauls site. go there, its the piccolo bible. http://www.pgoelz.com/piccolo1.html second, do the ball-swashplate mod if you don't already have it, Also, switching to the Orion motor made it much more stable in hover, (no more yo-yo ing up and down)a one-way would have the same effect.
robw is offline Find More Posts by robw
Old Mar 10, 2007, 10:31 AM
Joined Oct 2003
2,421 Posts
micro-heli-tuning has great piccolo upgrades.
Matthew Cotten is offline Find More Posts by Matthew Cotten
Old Mar 10, 2007, 11:13 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,224 Posts
I also use the Hummingbird V3 swashplate. I think the Piccolo head is fine expecially if your just hovering. The metal hub will keep you from looseing bearings. http://www.helinut.com/piccolo_upgrade.html I have the Pro Piccolo auto gear, and PMP head stiffener but that is getting hard to find now at a good price.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 12:19 PM
0 Carbon fp? don't breed!
www.dhrc.rchomepage.com Gloucester/Cheltenham Gloucester, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Oct 2004
2,161 Posts
> The metal hub will keep you from looseing bearings
Oh yes I forgot, that's a 'must have' upgrade .

Edit: and CNC Antirotation-Link and ball in swash mod
DarkHorse is offline Find More Posts by DarkHorse
Last edited by DarkHorse; Mar 10, 2007 at 12:25 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 01:46 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,224 Posts
I use the Piccolo Pro Antirotation link and it works a little better than my FP link. Will get the CNC one someday.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 01:57 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,573 Posts
I think I got a metal head set-up. I was thinking of using it later when I got better.
Also, I've read about a "head spring". How does that help?
I bought a bunch of parts from a guy on ebay, with about 5 buildable piccolo's and some hop-up parts, so I've got plenty of spare parts. Thanks for the info Guys, Butch
Old Mar 10, 2007, 04:04 PM
San Carlos, California, United States
Joined May 2002
7,640 Posts
The first mod I would get is a swashplate with a ball-in-swash to reduce slop.

Second mod I would get is the aluminum hub to prevent losing bearings.

The third mod is probably the ECO Piccolo V2 landing gear - it won't break as often as the original one.

Toshi
TMorita is offline Find More Posts by TMorita