HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2014, 04:38 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jun 2006
269 Posts
Discussion
DX8 range questions

Finally doing the "right thing" and range checking.

What started this- I crashed a basically new model (4 flights maybe?). I believe it was the receiver because later range tests showed that the RX in the crashed model (rx was park flyer class) showed about half the range of my other receivers. I own both "full range" and "park flyer" rxs and also Spektrum and non-spektrum Rxs.

Had some questions about the "right" range check because it seems that ALL of my gear isn't quite making 30 meters (i need to make giant strides for one pace to equal 1 meter so that is how I measure out 30 meters). My Rxs are a mix of spektrum and non-spektrum Rxs. My range check issues seem to affect both types. My full range Spektrum Brand AR400 (DSMX version) seems to marginally make the range test. Almost 30 m but Not really quite 30 meters.

I had damaged my DX8 before I started doing range checks. I eventually sent it back and Horizon lived up to its Great customer service reputation by servicing it with no charge to me. I probably got it back about 6 months ago and have not dropped it or subjected it to any abuse or misuse since.

Which of the following should I be concerned about? My guess is that it mostly doesnt matter and if my check is not passing, I've got an issue that needs dealt with.

0) when doing the range check, I mostly put the model on the ground which affects the range check negatively. If I elevate the model using a metal alloy lawn chair, it range checks better.

1) I read somewhere that location matters (chain link fence can interfere). I'm doing it about 15 feet away from the side of my house.

2) If my body comes between the rx and tx, the range is diminished when using the range test). my guess is this is ok.

3) My dx8 has the stock NiHM battery. I've noticed that it doesnt take long for the voltage to dip from 5.5. With in say 20 minutes i'm down to 5.2. Within an hour (intermittent use during the day) i'm below 5. maybe 4.9 I can get a lot of flying done with an overnight charge. Will this voltage dip significantly affect range? If I fly say, 2 hours, I'm still above 4.8. I don't remember where the alarm kicks in for low voltage, but I seem to fly without issues without the alarm kicking in.
Looks like this is what Andy from HH says about tx voltage
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post28446066

4) Should I be able to exceed 30 Meters easily? If so, I definitely have an issue
bladefan is online now Find More Posts by bladefan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2014, 05:18 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,367 Posts
You should be easily able to exceed 30m. Put your model on a wooden lift (0.5m or higher) and you should have no problem.

However, when in doubt it's better to be safe. Let the experts check it out for you.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 05, 2014, 05:47 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,340 Posts
3) Power going to different circuits in the transmitter is regulated so the performance is not affected by change in battery voltage as long as it is above 4.3-4.4V. This applies also to the RF deck which runs on 3.3V (or is it 3.2V?).

Whenever you are sending something to Horizon to be checked or serviced fill in the form from the web site with detailed description of the issue(s) you may be having. Otherwise they may not do a thorough test for that particular issue.

The above does not apply to Horizon service only - having worked in a service department I have overlooked some very specific issues which appear in very specific circumstances due to lack of any description of why the item was sent in. After exchanging information with the end user I performed a more in depth testing which reproduced the issue and allowed me to find the root cause for the issue. In a standard test we never test in details all aspects of the item performance as this is extremely time consuming = "costs a lot of money" in man-hours. Service has to be efficient and not expensive as it adds to the cost of the end product.
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2014, 11:03 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jun 2006
269 Posts
Thank you!
bladefan is online now Find More Posts by bladefan