Old Jun 06, 2014, 04:25 PM
Joined May 2014
6 Posts
Help!
Help choosing a nitro engine

I need help choosing an engine.
OS46AX II or TT46 Pro Or ASP 52

The most expensive motor OS 46 AX II
I read online the piston and the sleeve has a chrome nickel and it less good than in ASP
On the other hand ASP engine is very cheap and maybe quality (?)
So I thought with the TT 46 pro sleeve and piston not nickel chrome
And it is more brand quality

What do you think?
naord1 is offline Find More Posts by naord1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2014, 05:30 PM
Atl, Ga.
Joined Dec 2012
190 Posts
The only one I had out of the bunch is the OS ax2. This is a great engine for me. Starts easily and have never had a dead stick with it. Also has plenty of power. Sorry I can't help with the other engines, I currently have 12 glow engines, all are OS except for 1 Saito. Had 1 TT but sold it.
Sorry I couldn't be any more help.
Kurt.
capt kurt is online now Find More Posts by capt kurt
Old Jun 06, 2014, 08:39 PM
United States, FL, Cocoa
Joined Jan 2006
1,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by naord1 View Post

I read online the piston and the sleeve has a chrome nickel and it less good than in ASP

What do you think?
The TT PRO 46 is nickel as well. I like OS products as I have had good luck with them. Check with the guys at your flying field and ask what they're using.
Broken Wings is online now Find More Posts by Broken Wings
Old Jun 06, 2014, 11:25 PM
TEAM BOCA
United States, IA, Muscatine
Joined Oct 2009
1,475 Posts
You will get opinions like who likes Fords, Chevys, Dodge, etc.
My first hand experience with each has been the OS is probably the least troublesome followed closely by the Thunder Tiger then the Magnum. I personally have not had good luck with Magnum branded engines but if you buy new with a warranty they are willing to stand behind their products at Hobby People. And since the TT46Pro is currently out of stock at Tower,,,,,,,,,,
On the other hand you can get a nice used engine from brucercengines.com among others
jeffie8696 is offline Find More Posts by jeffie8696
Last edited by jeffie8696; Jun 06, 2014 at 11:27 PM. Reason: added information
Old Jun 06, 2014, 11:53 PM
Israel, Ramat HaSharon
Joined Nov 2003
1,109 Posts
GLOW engine choice...

Quote:

What do you think?
Naord,

First, you posted a choice of 'glow engines'; not 'nitro engines'!

Nitro is an additive to glow fuel (which improves power and reliability), which you could do without (FAI fuel)...
Do you say your entire dinner is 'salt', just because you sprinkle a bit of it on your salad?!

The ASP is the only one with a chromium electroplated sleeve and its projected life-span is the longest. Its also the most powerful.
The OS is arguably the easiest to live with. The TT comes in very close and will likely outlive the OS.
DarZeelon is offline Find More Posts by DarZeelon
Last edited by DarZeelon; Jun 19, 2014 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Typo...
Old Jun 07, 2014, 04:57 AM
Joined May 2014
6 Posts
Dar,

You have experience with ASP engines?

From what you say it sounds that good motors with power and long life
Better ASP on OS or TT?
Is very cheap $ 90 less

Thank You
naord1 is offline Find More Posts by naord1
Old Jun 07, 2014, 05:18 AM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,470 Posts
Thunder tiger .46 can also be converted to a .40 in the future if you so choose. Either the TT46 or the OS would be my choice. I would lean toward the TT.
Dale 813 is offline Find More Posts by Dale 813
Old Jun 07, 2014, 07:07 AM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,435 Posts
I have the TT46 pro and love it. I also had the OS46fx (not the same as ax, I know), but both ran the same. I'm still currently running the the TT46 still with no problems and we are at about 60 hours.
Edwin
edwin1 is online now Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Jun 07, 2014, 07:31 AM
Israel, Ramat HaSharon
Joined Nov 2003
1,109 Posts
Quote:
Dar,

You have experience with ASP engines?

From what you say it sounds that good motors with power and long life
Better ASP on OS or TT?
Is very cheap $ 90 less

Thank You
Naord,

I have not owned an ASP, but several of my buddies did/do and I am deeply involved. So, I know their experience quite well.

I have never owned a TT engine either, but did own some OS engines.

I never saw an ASP that managed to wear out its P+L, despite some of them being quite old. I did see several OSs that wore out and several that had nickel peel off their sleeves.

But OS engines are well built and were among the most reliable I have owned or seen. It's too bad many lesser (i.e. cheaper) engines outlive them.
DarZeelon is offline Find More Posts by DarZeelon
Old Jun 07, 2014, 11:06 AM
Joined Oct 2011
236 Posts
Nitro vs Glow

Dar I'm with you on this as the " correct " term is indeed glow. We Americans do tend to like to come up with our own terminology and sadly the term "nitro" is a commonly accepted description. Manufacturers have been using the term with success as a marketing catch phrase for years. I don't like it but it's here to stay, just like M TVs Snookie. LOL

Naord, I have an almost new Magnum .46 with aluminum 2.75" spinner I will sell you for 35.00 shipped. I will even throw in some props. Catch is I don't have a muffler for it but this size muffler is very common and easy to find.
exf3bguy is offline Find More Posts by exf3bguy
Old Jun 07, 2014, 11:14 AM
Africa
Joined Jan 2005
1,107 Posts
I have an AX 46 with around 350 hours on it. Bought it 10 years ago when they first came out.Its been super, super reliable. Well worth the money! In my opinion morequiet and refined than the ASP. Similar in power to the TT. The AX runs fine on no nitro fuel.
Snorks is offline Find More Posts by Snorks
Old Jun 07, 2014, 12:55 PM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorks View Post
I have an AX 46 with around 350 hours on it. Bought it 10 years ago when they first came out.Its been super, super reliable. Well worth the money! In my opinion morequiet and refined than the ASP. Similar in power to the TT. The AX runs fine on no nitro fuel.
Then guard it with your life, as there are only a few that reach those numbers.

Whether ASP outlives an OS generally, I can't say, but lately I have bought my first ASP to replace an OS (the OS failed completely unexpected and utterly thorough: the parts needed were more expensive than the replacement ASP).

I have to say, maybe the ASP is not as powerful and maybe the OS' carb is better, but overall I was very pleasantly surprised with the ASP, and value for money, well, I can buy two ASP for one OS and save more than a few pennies, and I think I'd rather have two ASP's than one OS, any day of the week, hands down, plain and simple!

Definitely!

Downside is: if you are less experienced, the OS' are easier to live with, the ASP's require a bit more "fingerspitzengefühl"....

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is online now Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Last edited by Brutus1967; Jun 07, 2014 at 03:43 PM.
Old Jun 07, 2014, 03:03 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,323 Posts
For over 30 years - I was a dedicated Supre Tigre and OS user ....

Returned to the hobby and went electric ...

Then got into gasoline ........... and have migrated back to Glow power ...

I went for an ASP 61 in a model - that previously in the 80's I flew with a ST60 and pipe.

Fly ? You bet - it's an absolute beaut and that ASP engine is a direct copy of the old OS ... and it runs / performs as sweet as the original.

TT ... Thunder Tiger .............. I hope they are better than they used to be ... myself and a pal of mine - we both played around with TT's in the 80's ... cheap Taiwan crap ... in fact both of us had a similar mishap .. after nose ins - the shafts were bent. We straightened them in a vice and pliers !! No kidding.

Price is not always best ... and lets be honest - you can buy 2 ASP's for price of one exotic !
Save your money - get the ASP ...

That's my opinion anyway after over 45yrs in the game.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Jun 07, 2014, 05:52 PM
United States, FL, Cocoa
Joined Jan 2006
1,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus1967 View Post
Then guard it with your life, as there are only a few that reach those numbers.

Whether ASP outlives an OS generally, I can't say, but lately I have bought my first ASP to replace an OS (the OS failed completely unexpected and utterly thorough: the parts needed were more expensive than the replacement ASP).

I have to say, maybe the ASP is not as powerful and maybe the OS' carb is better, but overall I was very pleasantly surprised with the ASP, and value for money, well, I can buy two ASP for one OS and save more than a few pennies, and I think I'd rather have two ASP's than one OS, any day of the week, hands down, plain and simple!

Definitely!

Downside is: if you are less experienced, the OS' are easier to live with, the ASP's require a bit more "fingerspitzengefühl"....

Brgds, Bert
That statement holds true for the more experienced as well.
Broken Wings is online now Find More Posts by Broken Wings
Old Jun 07, 2014, 10:26 PM
TEAM BOCA
United States, IA, Muscatine
Joined Oct 2009
1,475 Posts
The current Thunder Tiger engines are very high quality.
jeffie8696 is offline Find More Posts by jeffie8696