Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:13 PM
Joined Dec 2013
14 Posts
Help!
am I such a bad modeller!?

Just built a hacker model zoom 4u 3d foamy and took it for a maiden and crashed straight away destroying the motor and tearing the epp at the nose.

The build was a bit heavy at 240g when it should be 180g and I noticed the tail flexed a little to one side when elevator was full up. But other than that seemed really sweet.

The 25a speed controller and motor maybe not the right choice. http://www.giantshark.co.uk/product/...utrunner-motor
But it should have at least flown right? Even if a little trimmed out and erratic. But I couldn't even get it to track flat at all and only managed a few completely uncontrollable flight directly into the ground. The last with full power still on into the ground destroying stripping the motor

Was it the elevator wiggle the problem?
Was I touching too much rudder?
Did I build it completely wrong, the cog, all parts look good rudder elevator airelons all working, not perfectly but nothing that can't be trimmed right?

Am I just a terrible flyer? Well it is worth noting that this is my first plane built since building epp slopeglider 5 years ago and it is my first real 3d plane since my Hz typhoon also 5 years ago.

I am sure this is an all too familiar story with novices getting into 3d flying and all modellers alike. Spending many hours building only to be grounded in seconds. I know I should just fork out the money and get the visionaire but if my flying skills are so rusty I wouldn't want to spend all that money just to end in the same position. Hunched over the work table with CA sticking to my fingers.

I have a new motor coming soon closer to the 22g mark and also a popwing bonsai which is closer to the model I learned to fly with. I'm thinking with a pusher motor should be safe for a but of a basher and not destroy any more motors.

Thanks in advance for any input people and happy flying.
mode4flyer is offline Find More Posts by mode4flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:30 PM
TEAM TWISTED
United States, MD, Middle River
Joined Dec 2011
937 Posts
60 grams is a LOT of extra weight and, depending on how it is distributed on the plane, it could be a plane-killer.
ROLLING CIRCLE is online now Find More Posts by ROLLING CIRCLE
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3dhs fly low in east
Old Feb 10, 2014, 02:20 PM
El Cajon, CA
Joined May 2007
288 Posts
From what I have seen, that is a difficult plane to fly, anyway. It is not very floaty, and needs to be on the power all the time. 60 grams of extra weight will just add to the difficulty. Somethin that might work better for you would be one of the 32 inch EPP flat foamies from SkyWing, Twisted Hobbies, NitroPlanes (TechOne), etc. They will use all the same gear that the Hacker uses, they are easier to fly, and ate a lot more forgiving of mistakes. Check them out. Lots of good info and vids on all of those planes in this forum.
dynodude is offline Find More Posts by dynodude
Old Feb 10, 2014, 03:37 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,566 Posts
The ZOOM stuf is all very good in my opinion
weight suggested is right and mine all came out correct power required in fairly low -they are NOT good models for full power flying!
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Feb 10, 2014, 04:53 PM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Feb 2012
363 Posts
You sure your control surfaces aren't backwards? Rolling left the left aileron is up.
oceanway99 is offline Find More Posts by oceanway99
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by oceanway99; Feb 10, 2014 at 05:01 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 05:29 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynodude View Post
From what I have seen, that is a difficult plane to fly, anyway. It is not very floaty, and needs to be on the power all the time. 60 grams of extra weight will just add to the difficulty. Somethin that might work better for you would be one of the 32 inch EPP flat foamies from SkyWing, Twisted Hobbies, NitroPlanes (TechOne), etc. They will use all the same gear that the Hacker uses, they are easier to fly, and ate a lot more forgiving of mistakes. Check them out. Lots of good info and vids on all of those planes in this forum.
A second to the above. I have a zoom 4U and it is one twitchy little devil. It will fall out of the air like a brick if you don't keep enough speed up especially in a turn. It is about the biggest challenge of anything I've ever owned. And some times it just seems to have a mind of its own. The Hacker super zoom is one super plane and a great trainer for anything from learning to fly to aerobatics and even some 3d, but the little zoom 4u didn't seem to come out of the same mold. Every now and then I think I've got the little devil all dialed in, then it will jump up and bite me. Oh well, it's epp so it's basically indestructable as long as I have a hot glue gun, so I'll continue on.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Feb 11, 2014, 05:11 AM
Joined Dec 2013
14 Posts
thanks heaps for your input guys just what i wanted to know to make myself feel better
and i do believe that the hacker models are still a good product in the hands of a more experienced flyer built to the correct weight.

i will put a lighter motor on the 4u and tweek the control surfaces and yes double check the controls are the right way around, bank left left aileron up correct.

thanks again
mode4flyer is offline Find More Posts by mode4flyer
Old Feb 11, 2014, 08:36 AM
Grass stain your plane.
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Feb 2011
204 Posts
Did you make sure your CG was in the right place since you added all that weight to the nose? That is important.
RAlanBoyle is online now Find More Posts by RAlanBoyle
Old Feb 12, 2014, 12:56 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,649 Posts
240 grams is a lot of weight for such an itty bitty plane. The motor and esc you used are WAY too large! Did you check the balance before flying the plane?

After 5 years it would be a good idea to ease back into the hobby with an easier plane. I'm not sure the Bonsai is it. Certainly don't put another oversized motor on it.

The suggestion of building a cheap 30" flat wing foamie is a good idea, but power it with a 24 gram motor, balance it, and start off with reduced control throws.
Jack the R is offline Find More Posts by Jack the R
Old Feb 12, 2014, 12:53 PM
MigLovin'
Sanford, FL
Joined Dec 2008
64 Posts
Get a Sim

Probably a combination of the build weight and inability to compensate for the results that ensued...
JimEdmiston is offline Find More Posts by JimEdmiston
Old Feb 13, 2014, 08:11 PM
Learning 3d at ascot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Dec 2013
183 Posts
How much expo did you have? Took off at full throttle too? I always take my hacker zoom 4d off at about half throttle.
russgt is offline Find More Posts by russgt