Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 11, 2014, 12:59 PM
Farnham Common, UK
Joined Oct 2009
226 Posts
Build Log
Aerographics Hawker Hunter

The last plane I built was a Jetex powered Mig15, 55 years ago. Since then, I've been into model railways, model boats and model Hovercraft. Recently, I was given an unmade kit of the Aerographics Hawker Hunter; so I thought why not have a go.

I have purchased a KP DF32 brushless ducted fan unit, lighter and much more powerful than the KP unit originally recommended for this kit. My plan is, at minimum, to use RC to control the fan unit leaving the model for free flight as originally developed. I also have wild thoughts of going for full RC of the elevator and ailerons ,although this may well prove beyond my skill level.

I have published (the right word?) several boat and one hovercraft build logs on RC Groups and found the feedback from members invaluable. I floated the idea of making the Hunter radio controlled in the beginners training forum a couple of days ago and had several useful pointers from there.

Now to get on with it! Contruction of the fuselage has started. The instructions recommend leaving off the 'stringers' till after the first half has been lifted from the plan and the formers etc fitted to the other side. I have opted to fix at least some of the stringers before lifting the first half to give it more rigidity. Being built on a flat baseboard, it should not be warped at this stage so why not give it every chance of retaing its shape - right or wrong?

Not much out there on The Hunter since 2006. Has anyone built one since? I look forward to good advice and ideas to help me along the way.
JeremyBB is offline Find More Posts by JeremyBB
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2014, 03:28 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,300 Posts
I'm sure you will enjoy this experience. I'm a stick & tissue type guy myself. I'm for full RC control. The size and weight of components, almost warrants the application.

Here's one item I see may hinder good performance. And, the best efficiency you can get from a fan, the less power needed to fly = longer flight times. The exhaust duct outlet being the same size as the fan shroud, is giving you an outlet in excess of the FSA(fan swept area = blade area minus the motor holder) With such a large area, the exhaust efflux is actually slower as it is leaving the fan.

Most fans need a reduction of 85% of the I.D. of the shroud or the rotor diameter. This speeds up the flow and is a good balance of static thrust and dynamic thrust used in flight. A minimum of 100% FSA is usable.

Thin drafting mylar makes a great exhaust tube. And the seam taped will hold tight.

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Jan 11, 2014, 04:07 PM
Farnham Common, UK
Joined Oct 2009
226 Posts
Duct sizing

Hi Fuzz

Thanks for the warning about the duct. The bore diameter of the fan is 32mm. I can taper the duct towards the outlet by modifying the formers. Could you please advise me what diameter I should aim for at the outlet point. It is about 30cm from the fan to the exhaust exit.

Jeremy
Old Jan 11, 2014, 04:22 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,011 Posts
This might be handy!
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Jan 11, 2014, 04:53 PM
Farnham Common, UK
Joined Oct 2009
226 Posts
Duct diameter and material

Hi Cooler by the lake

Thanks for the calculator. 28mm looks about right at 85%. That should be no problem.

Hi Fuzz

I can get 125 micron Mylar sheet for the exhaust duct. What type of tape should be used to close the seam or would an adhesive be better? If so, what type?

Jeremy
Old Jan 11, 2014, 05:09 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,300 Posts
I use regular transparent tape, 3/4" wide. This may help. Free 21 day trial http://www.conelayout.com/ After taping you can wick some thin CA into the inside seam.

Fuzz
Old Jan 11, 2014, 05:11 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,300 Posts
Quote:
I can taper the duct towards the outlet by modifying the formers.
You should not have to use the formers for reinforcing the duct. The duct, if mylar, will not need it.

Fuzz
Old Jan 12, 2014, 08:44 AM
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
1,234 Posts
Jeremy, hope you enjoy this classic build. Am hoping you will be able help me as I have had this model framed up, except for fuse stringers, for about seven years now ! I was never able to get the intake ducting installed -- made countless patterns in various materials but no luck so maybe you can get me on track again. Seem to remember someone saying they had to structurally strengthen the tailplane ?

By the way I have all of the old KK Jetex models and some of the Veron, still NIB. No idea why but I do ! A few years ago used to fly a KK Mig, Javelin and an A/G Lightning (in between battery charging) using Rapier motors but only have a few of those motors left. Still have some Jetex motors, fuel and wick from 50 years ago but no screens or asbestos washers ! Bet that fuel won't ignite !!

Again, have fun with this one and show us pics..
killickb is online now Find More Posts by killickb
Old Jan 12, 2014, 09:31 AM
Farnham Common, UK
Joined Oct 2009
226 Posts
Hi killickb

Madguns in 2008 commented that the kit was not robust enough for RC.

"I have been spending a great deal of time building the horizontal stabilizor. The kits design is not good enough for R/c aplications. Very week"

The tailplane does look particularly flimsy. The brushless motor should allow for a bit more weight. I will just have to see how it goes. I will keep the pics coming.

Jeremy
Old Jan 12, 2014, 11:30 AM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,300 Posts
The difference between 2008 and present day RC equipment weights, are incredible. So are the prices. Take a tour of the micro jet forum, and see what they are doing. It will surprise you. In fact, You would have been much better off posting your build over there. But you are most welcome here!

Fuzz
Old Jan 12, 2014, 12:55 PM
Farnham Common, UK
Joined Oct 2009
226 Posts
Micro jets forum

Hi Fuzz

Thanks for your welcome to this forum where I have already had some very helpful input. I took a look at Micro Jets and there is indeed a lot of very relevant stuff there. I will post a message on it about my build log for those who may be interested. I don't think I have the option to migrate the thread even if I wanted to.

Jeremy
Last edited by JeremyBB; Jan 12, 2014 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Second thoughts
Old Jan 12, 2014, 01:12 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,011 Posts
JeremyBB ...To move this, if you choose, just click on report , next to post number. Select move this post, and to what forum you would like-- Micro EDF Jets and Power Systems
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Jan 13, 2014, 01:19 PM
Farnham Common, UK
Joined Oct 2009
226 Posts
Migration

My thread seems to have migrated itself Honest gov - I did nothing! Anyway apologies for the confusion . I think I'd better leave it where it is now.

Jeremy
Old Jan 14, 2014, 07:19 AM
James L
Beck Row Mildenhall
Joined Mar 2009
789 Posts
Looking forward to seeing this take shape
TANGOSIERRAROM is offline Find More Posts by TANGOSIERRAROM
Old Jan 14, 2014, 04:45 PM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004