HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2013, 05:26 PM
Joined Mar 2013
7 Posts
Discussion
prop DIY micro super cub?

anyone have a way to remove the micro super cub prop without destroying the plane?
jo3y is offline Find More Posts by jo3y
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2013, 06:30 PM
Joined Mar 2013
7 Posts
nevermind its pointless im just gonna buy a new plane

if anyone wants info
How to Replace Change Fix Propeller on Flyzone Ultra Micro Planes, Nieuport, Albatross etc (2 min 46 sec)
Old Mar 18, 2013, 08:44 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Just use sharp wire snips or large toe nail clippers to cut it off a bite at a time.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Mar 19, 2013, 05:34 AM
Joined Mar 2013
7 Posts
yeah i messed up the shaft on the motor initially trying to pull it off. Lessons learned
Old Mar 19, 2013, 06:22 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Gearboxes/motors for these are relatively cheap and you can upgrade to the quieter B motor/D gearbox found on the SE5a.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 09:12 AM
Slope-a-Dope
United States, UT, Draper
Joined Dec 2012
2,040 Posts
I recently swapped mine out with the above SE5a motor and gear box. The Flyzone UM Super Cub comes with the same set up as the Albatros. Mine lasted nearly a month with less than 20 flights. Grindy noisy from the start and then it went SCREECHY and fizzled to display speed only at full throttle. My LHS got mine ordered and in hand as quick as 4 days. The only struggle I had was snipping the orig. 6mm motor wire and connectors to be soldered onto the new 7mm connector which was way too short to reach the brick connector plug. I split some skinny solder in half, shoved it into the female plug holes. Then I stripped the wires on the 6mm piece, heated it up and stuck them into the 7mm plug holes. A little piece of heat shrink tubing and it's good to go. Hot glued the motor and gear box in, double sticky taped the fuse back together and we're flying again! Smooth and way quieter than the Super Screech Cub.
Steve 0 is offline Find More Posts by Steve 0
Old May 26, 2013, 10:18 PM
Manila Ninoy Intl, Philippines
Joined Nov 2001
1,313 Posts
Flyzone motor / pinion / gearbox issues

Flyzone motors and gearboxes quality have recently taken a nosedive.

Type A motors (Playmate / Albatros / SuperCub / Fokker Dr1 / Nieuport ) : The pinions loosen and fall off. Have had it happen on the last three motors I used. The use of plastic for the pinion, umm, it's a similar plastic to that used to make CA bottles, so they can't really be glued in easily.

Type B Gearbox : some come with fat flanges on the front bushing, which will not let the spur and pinion engage properly.

Type C Gearbox : apart from the mismatch between shaft diameter and prop hole, which make prop removal and exchange a major issue, some come with deformed spur gears. As in really deformed. No fix possible for the deformed gear. For the prop/gearbox issue, switch to a champ prop

Type B motor with the Type D gearbox: yes, better, but much more expensive.

Type A motors out of stock at Tower, I hope it's because they are fixing the pinion issues.

Who ever is in charge of quality assurance for Flyzone at the China end should start looking for a new job, because every service issue is costing both Flyzone and Tower money.
deadduck is offline Find More Posts by deadduck
Last edited by deadduck; May 27, 2013 at 04:46 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 05:11 PM
USA, MO, O'Fallon
Joined Dec 2003
2,075 Posts
So, the stock motors and gearboxes are dodgy.

Any idea what prop to use to replace the stock? I get that the surgery will be difficult but since my cloning skills are worse than my flying skills I need something to try.

If there are no replacements worth bothering with, can I slap a ParkZone UM motor in the Flyzone brick?
martimer is online now Find More Posts by martimer
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2013, 08:18 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Dec 2010
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martimer View Post
So, the stock motors and gearboxes are dodgy.

Any idea what prop to use to replace the stock? I get that the surgery will be difficult but since my cloning skills are worse than my flying skills I need something to try.

If there are no replacements worth bothering with, can I slap a ParkZone UM motor in the Flyzone brick?
Yes sir you can, I swapped in a um p51 motor, gear box and prop on to my cub. And while it is a tad nose heavy now, it has just gobs of power and will climb vertically. I would recommend it for sure.
Tyler83 is offline Find More Posts by Tyler83
Old Aug 20, 2013, 05:42 AM
Manila Ninoy Intl, Philippines
Joined Nov 2001
1,313 Posts
Yup, go with a Hobbyzone (=Parkzone = Eflite) Champ motor + GB + champ prop. More than enough power for a SuperCub, the hotter P51 motor is overkill, but if you like 1:1 power....

If you want to stay with Flyzone motors and gearboxes use the SE5 stuff.

Type B motor with a metal pinion with the Type D gearbox: and the FLZA6254 prop, but some fiddling has to be done. I think I ended up reaming the prop partway to get it to fit.

I would go with the Horizon gear, so much better made at this point in time.

I really like the Flyzone airframes though.
deadduck is offline Find More Posts by deadduck
Old Aug 20, 2013, 06:20 AM
USA, MO, O'Fallon
Joined Dec 2003
2,075 Posts
Thanks, all.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2013, 07:04 AM
USA, MO, O'Fallon
Joined Dec 2003
2,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadduck View Post
I really like the Flyzone airframes though.
Yeah, I hear that. I picked up the SE5a yesterday on a whim. Easily one of the best maiden flights in almost ten years of flying. I usually expect trimming and some hassle getting to know the plane on that first few seconds of flight, but that little SE5a just flew slow and steady (except for the breezy gusts in the area).
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2013, 12:03 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,871 Posts
Amazing lil guy.
Looks Great and even children can fly it. Pretty well instantly.
My son had no problems with it at all.
Local Hobby shop has a table full (over a dozen) of utterly destroyed PZ planes... all shapes/sizes
Not an inducement to buying such .. ever.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Aug 20, 2013, 12:51 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Amazing lil guy.
Looks Great and even children can fly it. Pretty well instantly.
My son had no problems with it at all.
Local Hobby shop has a table full (over a dozen) of utterly destroyed PZ planes... all shapes/sizes
Not an inducement to buying such .. ever.
It's an apples to oranges comparison between PZ and EFlite planes and a Flyzone cub. It was very hard to break an old PKZ citabria unless you stepped on it. People only break Champs when they are trying something stupid with it.

People want fast planes, fast planes break when they crash. Planes that can't fly fast are less likely to break.

Flyzone planes are as a rule are generally more prone to breaking than PkZ planes. Every Flyzone WWI plane I have owned (I have at least 6 of them) has literally fallen apart in the air within the first couple flights. This is fine, because I rebuild them with PKZ guts. Just last night, the landing gear fell on my SE5a 1/2 way through its first flight.

The DR1 gearbox didn't even make it to its first flight, and the Brick lasted about 2 batteris before it died.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 01:28 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Dec 2010
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
It's an apples to oranges comparison between PZ and EFlite planes and a Flyzone cub. It was very hard to break an old PKZ citabria unless you stepped on it. People only break Champs when they are trying something stupid with it.

People want fast planes, fast planes break when they crash. Planes that can't fly fast are less likely to break.

Flyzone planes are as a rule are generally more prone to breaking than PkZ planes. Every Flyzone WWI plane I have owned (I have at least 6 of them) has literally fallen apart in the air within the first couple flights. This is fine, because I rebuild them with PKZ guts. Just last night, the landing gear fell on my SE5a 1/2 way through its first flight.

The DR1 gearbox didn't even make it to its first flight, and the Brick lasted about 2 batteris before it died.
Dang man you have some bad luck, I have 2 flyzone planes and have found them to be very durable. My albatross doesn't have a scratch on it and is the easiest plane I own to land I think. My super cub has been thru hell and back and still flys great. I've done a couple little of mods to her such as moving the tail wheel on to the rudder for ground handling and swapping in a p51 drive train after the stock motor gave out after about a year. That was by far the best mod, I have never timed it but I'm guessing I'm getting about 15 mins out of a eflite 150 now. It takes so little throttle to keep it in the air and I love the slow fly bys. I have the set on my dx8 to start at 20% throttle and most of the timer the timer isn't even running it takes so little throttle to keep it in the air.
Tyler83 is offline Find More Posts by Tyler83