HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 05, 2014, 07:59 AM
Joined Apr 2013
215 Posts
That's the thing with Donatas.....no customer service!
Dansy is online now Find More Posts by Dansy
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2014, 08:51 AM
Team JR
Medford, NJ
Joined Jan 2004
317 Posts
I googled "DonatasDesign" (one word), and the first search result I found was:
http://www.pauzuolis-rc.com/donatas-design
It works, and is active, as of this post.

First, as some factual points of reference, I have been bringing Donatas kits into the US since ~2004 when he was making the kits by hand. I have a folder of saved emails regarding Donatas kits that is over 100 meg in size. Dansy has received multiple lengthy emails from myself.

Now, a couple of opinions - you can agree or disagree.

I won't claim to have answered every single email, IM, PM, forum question, etc, that has been asked by a DonatasDesign customer in the US (or North America), but I have easily answered the majority of them, and with more detail than the average customer response.

Donatas has participated in various online forums as much or more than any other flyer at his level.

The DonatasDesign V6 is about half the cost of many comparable European freestyle designs.

Yes, as a general rule, the kits do not come with detailed instructions. They are advanced airplanes intended for advanced fliers with prior building experience. The build threads are very much intended to provide guidance on techniques / specifics for the kits, and there is a ton of information in the text and pictures. A lot of the questions that are asked (in the forums, and outside of the forums) can be answered with the information in the forums.

Small companies simply don't have resources to provide immediate detailed responses to every question 24-7 worldwide, and sometimes, some things fall through the cracks. Cutting edge designs and performance will never come from a "big box" retailer (Horizon, Great Planes, etc) or an imitation cheap knock off....and the flight performance or quality will certainly not be equaled. And you will be less likely to find anyone that can answer a technical question, especially from the imitators that know nothing about the product they have copied.

Small companies do get tired of answering questions from "trolls" that are simply trying to accumulate information without buying a kit....it happens....a lot....and it is very frustrating when time and effort spent answering questions results in a "troll" not buying a kit, but another product instead, and perhaps even crafting their own imitation. I am not opposed to a competitive market place, but I do believe there is a difference between answering questions for customers and genuinely interested potential customers and those that are simply "trolling" for information and have little or no intent to make a purchase.

Regards,

Dave
DaveL322 is offline Find More Posts by DaveL322
Old May 05, 2014, 11:49 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,342 Posts
That's a rediculas statement! Between Dave, and Donatis my questions were always answered. I learned a bunch of lightening /strengthening tips from both of there posts. Don't forget This is a advanced builders kit, not a great planes shock flyer. Try ordering a 1000$DLG and see how much help you get with the build! None!

Like I said earler. My v6 kit came with a two page insert, it had multiple setup options, a link to the v5 build manual, and a link to this thread, where Donotas has always answered my questions.
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Old May 05, 2014, 11:39 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Oct 2012
66 Posts
<"I googled "DonatasDesign" (one word), and the first search result I found was:
It works, and is active, as of this post." >

That V6 page has a link to a manual but the site is no longer operating.
http://donatasdesign.com/downloads/M...owV5Manual.pdf

There is also another link to a V5 manual on the Donatasdesign web site but I can't get that to work either. If anyone has that manual - maybe you could post it on this forum. Thanks.

My new V6 kit promised a manual but did not deliver. And an email has not been answered.
I would never rely on any forum for truly accurate information about a kit. There are experts on each forum but there are also people who really do not know enough to give good advice. The only reliable source about a kit is the designer. That's the role of the manual.

Do you really want to say that only "advanced" builders should order the Arrow V6? Doesn't that limit your clients? Aren't all advanced F3P builders designing and building (and selling) their own designs? So who exactly is left to buy the Donatas kits?
RCNorthBC is offline Find More Posts by RCNorthBC
Last edited by RCNorthBC; May 06, 2014 at 12:30 AM.
Old May 06, 2014, 01:59 AM
F3A Team Finland
Järvenpää, Finland
Joined Nov 2005
893 Posts
You are correct, that link does not work at the moment but if you go to Arrow V.5 page, there's a working link:
http://www.pauzuolis-rc.com/DonatasD...owV5Manual.pdf

Since the planes are almost identical (V.6 is a tad longer and has even larger ailerons) this manual works perfectly.

Maybe you tried this one already? It is quite large since the pictures apparently are not compressed and it downloads slowly. Just try to save it to your disk by clicking the right mouse button. That usually works even if the pdf doesn't want to open inside browser.
Finnspeed is offline Find More Posts by Finnspeed
Old May 06, 2014, 05:46 PM
Team JR
Medford, NJ
Joined Jan 2004
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCNorthBC View Post
<"I googled "DonatasDesign" (one word), and the first search result I found was:
It works, and is active, as of this post." >

That V6 page has a link to a manual but the site is no longer operating.
http://donatasdesign.com/downloads/M...owV5Manual.pdf

There is also another link to a V5 manual on the Donatasdesign web site but I can't get that to work either. If anyone has that manual - maybe you could post it on this forum. Thanks.

My new V6 kit promised a manual but did not deliver. And an email has not been answered.
I would never rely on any forum for truly accurate information about a kit. There are experts on each forum but there are also people who really do not know enough to give good advice. The only reliable source about a kit is the designer. That's the role of the manual.

Do you really want to say that only "advanced" builders should order the Arrow V6? Doesn't that limit your clients? Aren't all advanced F3P builders designing and building (and selling) their own designs? So who exactly is left to buy the Donatas kits?
Post 120 in this thread has the active link for the V5 manual.

I would certainly agree with you that everything written in the forums should not be accepted as accurate. That said, when the posts are from the designer, manufacturer, and top level pilots, and others are making posts that are supportive / complimentary, I'd say the information is worthy of consideration.

So far as the intended market for the kit...it is a very high performance design that is generally going to be purchased by more experienced pilots, most of whom read whatever instructions/tips are included, read whatever forums, and then build the way they want to. If all the experienced pilots were making their own kits....the Arrow V6 would not be the plane of choice for close to 50% of pilots in a number of European contests this past season. That said, I have frequently provided very basic foamy building information to a number of customers, and I am very upfront about the amount of instructions included. Plenty of beginner/intermediate pilots have done just fine from the information provided with the kit, build threads, and via emails.

At USD 85, the Arrow V6 is much less expensive than comparable European kits (many of which also fly well), and I think a great value. Just my opinion of course.

Regards,

Dave
DaveL322 is offline Find More Posts by DaveL322
Old May 06, 2014, 08:27 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Oct 2012
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnspeed View Post
You are correct, that link does not work at the moment but if you go to Arrow V.5 page, there's a working link:
http://www.pauzuolis-rc.com/DonatasD...owV5Manual.pdf

Maybe you tried this one already? It is quite large since the pictures apparently are not compressed and it downloads slowly. Just try to save it to your disk by clicking the right mouse button. That usually works even if the pdf doesn't want to open inside browser.
Thank s Finnspeed. Yes, I tried clicking on the link to the manual earlier but nothing happened. I try your trick of right-clicking and saving and that works. So finally I get a manual. Like pulling teeth and it takes a fellow flyer to learn the trick to getting the manual.

Another thing about the V6 kit - all the third party advertising. I don't mind a graphic showing the designer's web site but why do I have to pay for a kit that advertises Hitec, Castle Creation and many more including ExtremeFlightRC.
I bought and assembled a EF Edge 540T last winter - It's the worst balsa 3D kit in my opinion - weak LG and fuse and a pig to fly compared to my 3D Hobby Shop Jesky Slick or any of the 12 foamy and F3Ps I've assembled since. So Donatas has to be careful who he is signing contracts with. He may end up guilty by association.

In any case, I don't appreciate having to advertise companies forever without consent. Usually the advertiser has to pay for billboard space. So I expect a cheque every year for renting space on my Arrow V6 It's like buying an new Mazda car with an ad for McDonalds plastered on the hood.
RCNorthBC is offline Find More Posts by RCNorthBC
Old May 06, 2014, 09:26 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,342 Posts
. Seriously ?? You don't like the graphics, you don't like the people involved. You don't like Don's sponsors? You don't like EF??? The only people that complain about weak landing gear, are people that don't know how to land. You're flying his plane ? with his competition graphic's? what did you expect? Do everyone a favor and sell the kit. I'm almost positive the landing gear won't hold up to your high standard. Troll along somewhere else.
Old May 06, 2014, 09:48 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati Mechanic View Post
. Seriously ?? You don't like the graphics, you don't like the people involved. You don't like Don's sponsors? You don't like EF??? The only people that complain about weak landing gear, are people that don't know how to land. You're flying his plane ? with his competition graphic's? what did you expect? Do everyone a favor and sell the kit. I'm almost positive the landing gear won't hold up to your high standard. Troll along somewhere else.
+1

I'd be willing to help him learn to set up his Edge correctly so it doesn't fly like a "pig" (with that 3:1 power to weight ratio, no less), but he has to know how to land it, or it's all for naught!

RcNorthBC--Remember that we have the freedom to buy any kit of our choosing. If we don't like one, move on to another and support that manufacturer. Don surely won't be going out of business and you won't have to worry about manuals. Win-win!

--Kody
PiperCub49 is offline Find More Posts by PiperCub49
Old May 07, 2014, 03:18 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,545 Posts
FWIW, I have posted many times what a great model the V6 is.
The combination of agility and precision in one model is amazing.
Everyone should buy one, just to see for themselves

But the paint scheme on it is terrible.
How bad? If there was a white version for $10 more I might have bought that
From 10' away the model is basically white and an ugly brown.

Donatas usually has awesome paint jobs, this one misses the mark.

(But you still should buy one )

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old May 08, 2014, 07:39 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,342 Posts
I dig these graphics. If I didn't? I would buy something different. I like the apocalyptic scene in the canopy reflection, and I think all of the Extreme Flight stuff is very cool.
Last edited by Ducati Mechanic; May 08, 2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old Jun 01, 2014, 08:33 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,342 Posts
Been flying my aero V6 more than ever! I just picked up a set of fresh 360mah 2s 25 -50 C packs from Twisted hobbys, and the performance is great! Much better than the Nanos I was running. This kit was definitely one of my most challenging builds(built to competition spec,with hinges),and I enjoyed every minute of it! Now every time I fly it, I appreciate the work that was put in. Magic Don's, and mine
Old Jun 08, 2014, 03:09 PM
Joined Jun 2013
273 Posts
Is this plane suitable for 3D beginner? How durable is it (remember it's for 3D beginner) Or shall I pick one from TechOne or Twisted Hobby? Thx
oscarmok is online now Find More Posts by oscarmok
Old Jun 08, 2014, 07:45 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,342 Posts
No this kit is NOT a beginner plane. It's not designed for learning.. It's the plane you buy after you know how to 3D. It's also a advanced build. most pilots don't even let this plane touch the ground(catch, and hand launch)..

Look at TH crack yack..
Old Jun 08, 2014, 10:36 PM
Joined Jun 2013
273 Posts
Thanks. Just want to clarify. Coz the website is misleading. (http://www.pauzuolis-rc.com/donatas-design-arrow-v6)

'...We think this plane is the best choice for those who want to learn 3D or 4D flying. '
oscarmok is online now Find More Posts by oscarmok