HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 26, 2012, 02:31 AM
Registered User
Joined May 2012
5 Posts
Question
I have no idea how to charge multiple batteries.

Hi guys

I'm a newbie to this awesome world of rc flying. I've fallen hard and need help.

I realise there are a million threads on which charger to buy but I've been reading all afternoon and I am still in the same position as when i started - having no idea.

Essentially, I want to charge multiple batteries at once. I understand the premise of parallel charging and the correct amps to set the charger at etc.

I just need some simple straight out advice on exactly what I need to buy to charge multiple batteries at one time.

I have a number of 1S batteries, ranging from 130mah to 500mah. I'm flying an mcx2, msr x and 120 sr.

Could you knowledgeable dude please tell me what I need to buy to charge these batteries? I'm not looking to buy something like this http://www.modelflight.com.au/produc...er-163-40.html.

Cheers
billy0569 is offline Find More Posts by billy0569
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2012, 03:20 AM
CYN Battery (Guangzhou) Co.,Lt
Joined Mar 2012
4 Posts
Two points for charge mltiple batteries:

1. single cell voltage and how many series?
2. The amps of the battery packs

Lipo battery quick charge is 0.5C, single cell charge cut-off voltage is 4.2V
LiFePO4 battery quick charge is also 0.5C, but it's single cell cut-off voltage is 3.65V

So, like Lipo 11.1V 3500mAh 10C-rate battery for RC, you should use a charger with DC 12.6V current<1.75A
cynbattery is offline Find More Posts by cynbattery
Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012, 03:37 AM
Registered User
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,880 Posts
Quick charge = .5C? Huh? This is ancient history, my friend. Modern lipolys can easily be charged at more than 10 times this rate. Notwithstanding, this has little to do with the OP's query...

To the OP - Start your research here. There are many many options available to charge your packs in parallel. You are best served by getting a solid understanding of the practice prior to embarking and the aforementioned thread contains a wealth of information that will provide you a fantastic starting point.

Welcome to RC Groups!

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012, 04:18 AM
Registered User
ggcrandall1's Avatar
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy0569 View Post
Hi guys

I'm a newbie to this awesome world of rc flying. I've fallen hard and need help.

I realise there are a million threads on which charger to buy but I've been reading all afternoon and I am still in the same position as when i started - having no idea.

Essentially, I want to charge multiple batteries at once. I understand the premise of parallel charging and the correct amps to set the charger at etc.

I just need some simple straight out advice on exactly what I need to buy to charge multiple batteries at one time.

I have a number of 1S batteries, ranging from 130mah to 500mah. I'm flying an mcx2, msr x and 120 sr.

Could you knowledgeable dude please tell me what I need to buy to charge these batteries? I'm not looking to buy something like this http://www.modelflight.com.au/produc...er-163-40.html.

Cheers
As you said there are a million threads on which charger to buy. And asking the question here you will get multiple suggestions some good some bad and some conflicting.

But on the assumption that the batteries you mentioned are all you will ever use and also assuming you have a reasonable number of these, say 6, you didn't say, I believe a 50 watt charger would be sufficient. You should buy from a reputable dealer. There are several of those but the one I would deal with is Progressive RC. http://www.progressiverc.com/

The two 50 watt chargers they sell are the FMA CellPro 4S Gold and the FMA CellPro Multi4.

If you think you would need a higher power charger Progressive offers the iCharger 106B http://www.progressiverc.com/icharger-106b.html

For parallel charging your 1S batteries use the Hyperion G3 UM Parallel Charge Adapter. http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-6-por...ly-p-5360.html

That's a start.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012, 04:49 AM
Registered User
Joined May 2012
5 Posts
Hi guys,

Thanks for all your input - I appreciate it.

Glen, if I purchase the iCharger 106B do I have to buy anything else to power the charger? I've read that there can be some complex ways to power certain types of chargers.

Furthermore, the 500mah batteries use JST plugs, could you recommend a parallel charge adapter like the one mentioned in your earlier post?

Also what is the function of a balance board?

I've got around 8-10 of the little 130-160mah's and 5 500mah's. I'll just do a few rounds of charging, beats going it 15 times!

I appreciate you all taking the time to respond - hopefully when I've got my head around this business I can return the favour to another newbie

Cheers
Billy
billy0569 is offline Find More Posts by billy0569
Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012, 05:13 AM
Registered User
Joined May 2012
5 Posts
I've actually just found this Glen http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...852&aff=143580

Will I need to purchase anything else to get me up and running?

Cheers
billy0569 is offline Find More Posts by billy0569
Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012, 05:37 AM
Registered User
ggcrandall1's Avatar
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy0569 View Post
Hi guys,

Thanks for all your input - I appreciate it.

Glen, if I purchase the iCharger 106B do I have to buy anything else to power the charger? I've read that there can be some complex ways to power certain types of chargers.

Furthermore, the 500mah batteries use JST plugs, could you recommend a parallel charge adapter like the one mentioned in your earlier post?

Also what is the function of a balance board?

I've got around 8-10 of the little 130-160mah's and 5 500mah's. I'll just do a few rounds of charging, beats going it 15 times!

I appreciate you all taking the time to respond - hopefully when I've got my head around this business I can return the favour to another newbie

Cheers
Billy
Any of the chargers I mentioned require a 12VDC power supply. There are some on Progressive RC.

I believe Progressive RC also has a multi head JST charge cable similar to the one you found at hobby King.

When LiPo batteries have more than a single cell Chargers will check/monitor the voltage of each cell to insure that no cell exceeds 4.20V. Charging current is supplied via the main charge/discharge leads. A second set of leads is connected to each cell of the battery and then to the charger. When parallel charging packs a parallel balance board is used to connect all the packs for charging.

Balancing is not an issue with your single cell packs.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012, 05:54 AM
Registered User
Joined May 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
Any of the chargers I mentioned require a 12VDC power supply. There are some on Progressive RC.

I believe Progressive RC also has a multi head JST charge cable similar to the one you found at hobby King.

When LiPo batteries have more than a single cell Chargers will check/monitor the voltage of each cell to insure that no cell exceeds 4.20V. Charging current is supplied via the main charge/discharge leads. A second set of leads is connected to each cell of the battery and then to the charger. When parallel charging packs a parallel balance board is used to connect all the packs for charging.

Balancing is not an issue with your single cell packs.

Glen


Thanks for the clear explanation Glen. You've answered exactly what I was looking for.

Cheers
Billy
billy0569 is offline Find More Posts by billy0569
Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012, 06:14 AM
Fatalities caused by FPV: Zero
glassdogangle's Avatar
United States, OR, Springfield
Joined Jun 2011
509 Posts
You do not need to balance 1s (single cell) battery packs, even if you hook up two or more at a time in paralell. If you hook up 6 1s batteries on one of the 6 port paralell charging adapters, then plug this into your charger, your charger will "see" this conglomeration as a single 1s battery, but with the COMBINED capacity of all six batteries.

So, as an example, if you plug 2 150mah, 2 200mah, and 2 300mah 1s batteries into your 6 port adapter and plug this into your charger, your charger will charge it as a single 1300mah 1s battery (just add up all the capacities).

In the example above, I would personally charge at a rate of 1300ma, or 1.3 Amps.

One thing to remember is, if you charge multiple packs this way, you want to make sure the batteries all have similar voltage! If you don't, and say you hook up 2 batteries, and one has a 3.75 voltage and the other has a 4.1 voltage, as soon as the connections are made the 3.75 pack will drain the 4.1 pack at an extremely high rate, and you will damage the packs.

The packs can only charge/discharge at specific rates (I charge at 1s or less to be easy on my batteries), and if you exceed this charge/discharge rate you cause damage.

I am still struggling with the learning curve of LiPos, and only 2 months ago I knew absolutely nothing at all. I still remember the pain of reading multiple posts, and still feeling like I couldn't wrap my head around it! It was awful! The worst part was when I bought my Venom charger, and the included instructions assumed I already knew all there is to know about charging. All it gave me was a function tree map, and a bad one at that!

I still make mistakes. Yesterday I left my 3s 5000mah battery pack in my plane as I charged it, which you shouldn't do in case something bad happens. What I did was I plugged the main power leads into the charger like normal, but then I plugged the balance board into the balance lead of a different 3s 5000mah battery that I had taped above it! (I was flying with 2 3s batteries on my maiden SkyWalker flight; one to fly on, and the other for dead weight strapped to the first to balance the plane right)

Then I "balance charged" it! I still have no idea what kind of damage happens when you balance charge a battery with the balance lead plugged into a completely separate battery on accident! Anybody know? It seemed to charge up just fine. It took and hour like normal and showed 12.6 volts when done.
glassdogangle is offline Find More Posts by glassdogangle
Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012, 08:04 AM
Registered User
ggcrandall1's Avatar
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdogangle View Post
<snip>
One thing to remember is, if you charge multiple packs this way, you want to make sure the batteries all have similar voltage! If you don't, and say you hook up 2 batteries, and one has a 3.75 voltage and the other has a 4.1 voltage, as soon as the connections are made the 3.75 pack will drain the 4.1 pack at an extremely high rate, and you will damage the packs.

This has been tested and it is nt as dangerous as you would think. The initial current may be high but the packs equalize rapidly and the high current rapidly reduces to a safe value.

The packs can only charge/discharge at specific rates (I charge at 1s or less to be easy on my batteries), and if you exceed this charge/discharge rate you cause damage.

Virtually all LiPo batteries can be charged at up to 3C without concern as long as the charge is being done with a good balancing charger. Obviously there is no balancing problem with single cell LiPos. Discharging should not be done at a rate greater than 80% of the batteries C rate. i.e. mah * C *.8.

I am still struggling with the learning curve of LiPos, and only 2 months ago I knew absolutely nothing at all. I still remember the pain of reading multiple posts, and still feeling like I couldn't wrap my head around it! It was awful! The worst part was when I bought my Venom charger, and the included instructions assumed I already knew all there is to know about charging. All it gave me was a function tree map, and a bad one at that!

Unfortunately that is a problem with many chargers. Especially those built in China.

I still make mistakes. Yesterday I left my 3s 5000mah battery pack in my plane as I charged it, which you shouldn't do in case something bad happens. What I did was I plugged the main power leads into the charger like normal, but then I plugged the balance board into the balance lead of a different 3s 5000mah battery that I had taped above it! (I was flying with 2 3s batteries on my maiden SkyWalker flight; one to fly on, and the other for dead weight strapped to the first to balance the plane right)

If you are going to carry the weight you might as well connect them in parallel and take advantage of the additional capacity.

Then I "balance charged" it! I still have no idea what kind of damage happens when you balance charge a battery with the balance lead plugged into a completely separate battery on accident! Anybody know? It seemed to charge up just fine. It took and hour like normal and showed 12.6 volts when done.

Well you balance charged the unused battery and non balance charged the used battery. The packs became paralleled through the charger as the main charge/discharge leads of one battery and the balance leads of the other battery were connected to the charger.
I don't think I would do that again if I were you.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012, 07:42 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2012
5 Posts
Hi guys

So i've gone ahead and bought a charger (I'm in Australia so want to by Aus stock) http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LIPO-Char...ht_2777wt_1054

Now my questions is, if I buy this lead http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RC-JST-Ch...#ht_690wt_1144 can I use these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/390349239...#ht_730wt_1144 and http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/280529748...ht_2092wt_1054 to charge my batteries?

I realise it'd be better to use leads going directly to banana plugs but I can't find anywhere locally or online that sells them here in Aus. Will this be an issue e.g. not enough current will get to the batteries or the extra lead will mess with the amperage?

Cheers
Billy
billy0569 is offline Find More Posts by billy0569
Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012, 09:30 PM
Registered User
ggcrandall1's Avatar
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy0569 View Post
Hi guys

So i've gone ahead and bought a charger (I'm in Australia so want to by Aus stock) http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LIPO-Char...ht_2777wt_1054

Now my questions is, if I buy this lead http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RC-JST-Ch...#ht_690wt_1144 can I use these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/390349239...#ht_730wt_1144 and http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/280529748...ht_2092wt_1054 to charge my batteries?

I realise it'd be better to use leads going directly to banana plugs but I can't find anywhere locally or online that sells them here in Aus. Will this be an issue e.g. not enough current will get to the batteries or the extra lead will mess with the amperage?

Cheers
Billy
I think those will be OK.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion EOS 0606I parallel charging 1s batteries, will not charge fully have to restart over mescalinedream Batteries and Chargers 5 Apr 25, 2012 02:12 PM
Question Charging Multiple Batteries Simultaneously jeb6684 Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 5 Sep 06, 2011 05:36 PM
Question Charging Multiple Batteries Simultaneously jeb6684 Batteries and Chargers 8 Sep 06, 2011 11:53 AM
Discussion Multiple 1S battery charging connectors razorseal Micro Ready-to-Fly 3 Sep 05, 2011 07:10 AM
Discussion Selling my T-Rex...I have no idea how much? infinitum Mini Helis 24 Jul 19, 2006 03:36 PM