Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by GooberSB, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 05:44 PM
An Ordinary User
United States, VA, Fluvanna
Joined Jan 2011
1,175 Posts
Build Log
12" USAF UFO scratchbuild

I wanted to see how small I could go and make something I consider stable. I've tried wings down to 16" and found that they are very unpredicatble at that size (other than predictably fast and unstable).

So I decided to try a 12" version of gpw's UFO. Based on my experience with the 22" version I theorized that if the wing area was kept at slightly better than a HZ Champ and the same electronics were used I could create something that flies at about the speed of a Champ but have the stability of a disc. That's how the idea came about.

Here's the result
12" UFO (2 min 3 sec)

It weighs 55.5g and the wing loading is just under 2 oz / sq ft. My target weight was 60g so I was happy to be a little under that.

The details:
6mm FFF circle @ 12" diameter
3mm $Tree semi-circle @ 12" diameter
Champ/Vapor ESC/Rx brick
Champ motor/gearbox/prop
Champ/Vapor CF control rods
Flyzone Playmate landing gear
450mah 3.7v lipo

This build has boosted my confidence after a failed build this weekend. Now I'm working on a Sky Ray build by gpw, a 48" UFO, and a KFm-4ward wing by ombudsman.

The build that failed? A very unstable butterfly shape based off a cartoony butterfly clipart picture I liked.

SB
GooberSB is offline Find More Posts by GooberSB
Last edited by GooberSB; Dec 06, 2011 at 07:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2011, 09:52 PM
Wellington New Zealand
Joined Nov 2010
30 Posts
chicken was obviously used to things like this in your yard!
strasbourge is offline Find More Posts by strasbourge
Old Nov 22, 2011, 07:10 AM
An Ordinary User
Joined Jan 2011
1,175 Posts
That's funny but true. I never thought they even noticed them but apparantly they have grown quite accustomed to noisy flying objects.

They usually stand around me when I'm flying in hope of being fed. That one was still waiting.

SB
Old Nov 24, 2011, 11:21 AM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,807 Posts
Chickens and RC ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooberSB View Post
That's funny but true. I never thought they even noticed them but apparantly they have grown quite accustomed to noisy flying objects. They usually stand around me when I'm flying in hope of being fed. That one was still waiting. SB
Yes, from my own experience it is amazing what they will "trust" is fine once they come to trust the feeder guy. Did you do a build thread on the little UFO? If you have, I would be interested in making a copy. Thanks
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
Old Nov 24, 2011, 06:07 PM
An Ordinary User
Joined Jan 2011
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsavah View Post
Yes, from my own experience it is amazing what they will "trust" is fine once they come to trust the feeder guy. Did you do a build thread on the little UFO? If you have, I would be interested in making a copy. Thanks

Tsavah, the original thread started by gpw is here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=553823

My description of this build is post # 2625
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2625

There are several other size variations from my 12" to 48" or larger.

SB
Old Nov 24, 2011, 06:28 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,807 Posts
UFO Flyer Threads

Quote:
Tsavah, the original thread started by gpw is here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=553823 My description of this build is post # 2625 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2625 There are several other size variations from my 12" to 48" or larger. SB
Thanks. I am looking them over and liking what I see.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 08:39 PM
An Ordinary User
Joined Jan 2011
1,175 Posts
Also, I wanted to say I'm flattered that you are interested in my 12" UFO. I greatly admire your work.

SB
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:17 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,807 Posts
Thank You for Mutual Interesting Projects

Quote:
Also, I wanted to say I'm flattered that you are interested in my 12" UFO. I greatly admire your work. SB
Thanks for the compliment. I tend to like a lot of projects others have done. When I see something interesting, I like to subscribe and try to keep up with any changes/modifications I might want to include when I do the same build.

JFYI - I am almost ready to post some pictures of a X-Zylo toy I made, which is a spinning ring flyer. I used a plastic peanut butter jar as the source material. It is too windy outside to test it further, but it flies across my small living room very well. I made the toy because it is a new shiny thing for me, and I am looking for ways to make thick plastic rings for other RC projects. I will post more information as a new blog entry soon.
Old Dec 08, 2011, 09:55 PM
An Ordinary User
Joined Jan 2011
1,175 Posts
new pictures added

I added new pictures to post #1

Now I'm thinking of another possibility

14" or 16" ufo or heart shaped wing using the same electronics I used to build a brushless Champ. Video of that on my YouTube channel.

Should be able to keep it around 70g (the 12" version is 55.5g). With the larger wing area the wing loading would still be close to 2oz / sq ft and it would be a good indoor flier.

SB
Old Dec 08, 2011, 10:01 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,807 Posts
Youtube Link?

Quote:
I added new pictures to post #1
Now I'm thinking of another possibility 14" or 16" ufo or heart shaped wing using the same electronics I used to build a brushless Champ. Video of that on my YouTube channel. Should be able to keep it around 70g (the 12" version is 55.5g). With the larger wing area the wing loading would still be close to 2oz / sq ft and it would be a good indoor flier. SB
What a tease! How about a link to the Youtube channel? A bit hard to see much without the link. Actually I found your Youtube channel by using the "Watch on Youtube" option in the first video entry. I like your projects and video. Thanks.
Last edited by Tsavah; Dec 08, 2011 at 10:12 PM. Reason: spelling ...
Old Dec 08, 2011, 10:43 PM
An Ordinary User
Joined Jan 2011
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsavah View Post
What a tease! How about a link to the Youtube channel? A bit hard to see much without the link.
Hahaha

Sorry to tease, but I don't want it to be embedded here. It's an old video from the summer and not a good advertisement for my current abilities.

I've only been flying rc planes for 9 months but my progression can be mapped vividly by comparing videos in chronological order. My son who is now 7 yrs old flies better than me. No matter what I'm flying he can walk over and take the Tx and fly like he owns it. But, he can't create them. At least I'm better than him at something haha.

SB