HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2011, 07:20 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,780 Posts
I've updated the first post with some more information, including the official price and an updated menu structure. Great to see it can be mounted on the side of the frame, like the beastX. I'm getting excited about this unit.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:54 PM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,189 Posts
I'm also getting exited about all the new FBL controllers coming out. I hope this one will work well, and i like the size of this unit better than the KDS one.
I still think it is a lot of money for an upgrade, but i would love to pop this unit om my sloppy HK450v2. I already have a FBL head ready.... But for this money i could also stay with the flybar and get a hole new 450pro kit. if a good flb unit comes out for <$80 i wont be able to resist.

Beenflying, are you planning to buy this unit? What are you going to compare it with?
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Old Sep 26, 2011, 02:31 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00fman View Post
I'm also getting exited about all the new FBL controllers coming out. I hope this one will work well, and i like the size of this unit better than the KDS one.
I still think it is a lot of money for an upgrade, but i would love to pop this unit om my sloppy HK450v2. I already have a FBL head ready.... But for this money i could also stay with the flybar and get a hole new 450pro kit. if a good flb unit comes out for <$80 i wont be able to resist.

Beenflying, are you planning to buy this unit? What are you going to compare it with?
It would appear that they are not yet available, so it's odd that RC711 shows them in stock and at a higher price. The good news is, HK-Parts have kindly asked me to try the unit and report my honest findings. They have also provided more pictures, which I will upload to the first post soon.

I'm going to put it on the ALZRC 450 Pro, which currently has the 3GX. So the comparison will be to the 3GX, the Ebar and another 450 Pro FB heli.

Don't forget the benefits of FBL are more power, stability, longer battery life and less parts that can be damaged in a crash. Also the helicopter flies better. No tendancy to roll left in FFF and right in backwards flight. Many people learning say the best thing they ever did was to switch to flybarless. Also quite a few 3D maneuvers are easier to do with FBL.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:15 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,780 Posts
Stand Alone Tail Gyro

Looks like the 3GYS can be used as a tail gyro on it's own, and no special cables are required to do it.

The great thing about this is you can start using the 3GYS as a standard tail gyro first and then eventually upgrade to a full FBL heli.

Just the usual 2 plugs into the receiver (rudder/gain), tail servo into CH4 on the 3GYS, and away you go.

All of the tail setting are available through the programmer box, and there is not much you can't do with all of these options* available:

(click to enlarge)
Name: 3GYS4.png
Views: 246
Size: 66.6 KB
Description:
* 5 preset defaults are available from beginner on up.

The gain can be set in either the 3GYS programmer box or the Tx.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:18 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,780 Posts
First Impressions

First impressions are very good. I like the look, I like the size and I like the gyros machined metal case. I also like the nice clear indicator on the unit that combines a red and blue LED. I particularly like that you can use it on it's side, even as a tail gyro.

I like that the programming box is metal. I particularly like that the screen is back lit and just as visible in full sunlight (yes we actually got a bit of sunlight today , but lots of wind as well). I like the battery monitor (supports up to 8S), but I'd prefer it spent less time on total voltage before switching to cell voltage. The servo tester is excellent, with support for 760us and 1520us servos. It has functions like manual operate, 3 point test, auto run (with user speed setting), servo speed (seems accurate) and deadband.

I managed to run a 5v servo at 11.5v and it went very fast. Amazingly it didn't dye, but it got hot. Don't run the servo tester off the battery balance lead, unless you are going to be testing high voltage servos. I need to put a warning in the first post, as the supplied pictures show a 9257 running off a 3S lipo.

Programming seems very easy and is similar to other 3 axis single servo collective setups. Gyro orientation is very flexible, as you can reverse each of the 3 gyros individually. You can even use this unit with the wires pointing out the side.

5 default model settings are provided:
1. Beginner
2. F-3C
3. 3D soft
4. HardCore
5. Extreme

From what I've seen so far, Beginner will be incredibly stable.

Here it is compared to the size of the GP780:
(click to enlarge)

Name: DSC03098.jpg
Views: 133
Size: 167.4 KB
Description:

Name: DSC03099.jpg
Views: 98
Size: 160.0 KB
Description:

Name: DSC03100.JPG
Views: 107
Size: 211.3 KB
Description:

Here's the program box with some menu and setup screens displayed:

Name: IMAG0111.jpg
Views: 88
Size: 163.0 KB
Description:

Name: IMAG0110.jpg
Views: 88
Size: 148.8 KB
Description:

Name: IMAG0113.jpg
Views: 82
Size: 149.2 KB
Description:
Monitor: Tx subtrim setup
Name: IMAG0114.jpg
Views: 101
Size: 187.2 KB
Description:
and cyclic servos digital. If you set it to 250Hz the cyclic servos can be analog servos
Last edited by beenflying; Sep 30, 2011 at 07:14 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 11:39 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,780 Posts
Received some interesting news today. It would seem last minute that the tail and swashplate tuning menus have been removed. This now means the 5 preset models (Beginner, F-3C, 3D soft, HardCore, Extreme) and the 3 gain settings, are the only flight options. It seems everyone wants FBL to be simple, so that's what they've provided, setup and go fly.

More when I get the 3GYS on the heli...
Old Oct 01, 2011, 06:10 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,780 Posts
I see on HK-Parts site they now have the 3GYS gyro listed on it's own for $75:
http://www.hk-parts.com/alzrc-3gys-3...stem-gyro.html

Great to see someone do this. The programmer will save 5 models with an 8 character ID, so having multiple FBL Helis is starting to get cheaper. Also each models settings are downloaded to the programmer when connected, so effectively you could have as may 3GYS gyros as you want. It's not limited to the 5 models you can store.
Last edited by beenflying; Oct 01, 2011 at 06:41 AM.
Old Oct 01, 2011, 12:46 PM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,189 Posts
They should have add an advanced menu. What a shame they cut the setup options.
I do like the price
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Old Oct 01, 2011, 01:05 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,274 Posts
Keep us posted as usual Beenflying..thank you
ridge_racer is online now Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Old Oct 03, 2011, 05:50 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,780 Posts
Installation 1
Well the 3GYS is installed. Once I figured out where to connect the servos and what reversing to use, setup was a breeze. The programmer is very easy to use and I like the way you set up this 3-axis gyro.

The first thing I noticed was the sub-trims are much closer to 0 than the Ebar. I think the crystal frequency in the 3GYS is far more accurate. The 3GYS can also be calibrated by toggling the gain switch between HH and rate mode several times, something else the Ebar lacks.

The only thing I can't find is a cyclic range/rate setting. Collective range is set to 12 degrees and cyclic seems to be calculated from this. A test with the pitch gauge shows up to 12 degress of cyclic can also be used by the gyro. This doesn't mean full stick will use 12 degrees, as like the tail the stick input is a rate of change. You can however set a limit on the cyclic to avoid binding, but I wouldn't recommend using this to limit the cyclic to 7 degrees. Dual rates and expo is the correct way to limit cyclic control. I've dialed in 80% DR and 40% expo for the first flight. Whether I need the DR will be decided after the first flight.

I've removed the 3GX from the ALZRC 450 pro to fit the 3GYS, so I know how well the heli flies with an FBL system and the tail was solid with the DS520, so this is a good test. I'm really excited about testing the 3GYS, but unfortunately we have some really bad weather at the moment and no sign of it easing soon.

Here are some pictures of the install. I fitted the 3GYS on an Align 450 Pro V2 AR/Gryo bracket, which extends further back and has more area for the gyro foam to contact.
Old Oct 03, 2011, 08:25 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,274 Posts
Hopefully this will be better than the KDS system. Got my b'day coming up in Nov so I hope this is available and proves to be a great performer by then..
Old Oct 03, 2011, 08:36 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,780 Posts
Maiden Flight
A miraculous break in the weather allowed me to squeeze in a couple of flights at home, before work this morning, which I videoed.

I have to say I'm really impressed. Couldn't believe how well it flew straight off the workbench. In fact it gave me so much confidence I started throwing it around a bit, even though I didn't have much space. I don't want to freak out the neighbors by flying over there sections, and there's a two story house behind the camera.

The first video is the first flight of this unit and has a couple of stops for tail gain adjustment. There was no drift, but there was a small bounce. I think I have too much mechanical gain, so I'm going to try moving the ball in a hole and see how it goes. I didn't have time to do this today.

The flybarless side of it is flawless, so far. Probably the best flybar feel I have experienced from a FBL heli. Very stable and smooth to fly and no odd cyclic issues. I'm using the middle model # 3 - Soft 3D. There are two models before this and 2 after this. You can load them without loosing any of your setup settings.

There is no tail pre-compensation on the 5 models provided, but the tail still held well on hard pitch pumps, until I lowered the gain too far on the second flight.

The second video is uploading. I'll also try to video some inverted and backwards flight, when I get to go to the field.

Edit: Forgot to mention. I fitted my testing canopy (one I could live with getting damaged) for the first flight. It's one of my good one's on the second flight.

ALZRC 450 Pro with the ALZRC 3GYS Flybarless System (1st flight) (6 min 33 sec)
Last edited by beenflying; Oct 03, 2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2011, 10:05 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,274 Posts
If only you could hear my applause. Just excellent. Eagerly awaiting the second video.
Old Oct 03, 2011, 11:58 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,780 Posts
Second flight
Here's the second video. The tail gain was set too low for this flight, but I didn't want to stop to adjust it, and it didn't really affect the flying much, just hard pitch pumps and hard stops had a big bounce.

A brand new battery on this flight. A WinMax Nano Platinum 2200mah 3S 50C. I wish I'd remembered that during the flight. I probably would have stopped a little sooner and not done the pitch pumps near the end.

ALZRC 450 Pro with the ALZRC 3GYS Flybarless System (2nd flight) (6 min 26 sec)
Last edited by beenflying; Oct 04, 2011 at 12:25 AM.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 12:47 PM
Track clear , smoke on !
3 miles from AMA HQ Muncie, IN.
Joined Jan 2009
1,760 Posts
Impressive beenflying, once again another very good review.
I'm interested in hearing your final thoughts on this unit and how don you think it would work on a 700 size scale bird?
cap231ex is offline Find More Posts by cap231ex