Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:56 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,323 Posts
No-one else thinking of trying the twin approach ?

I'm also interested to know about modifications .. such as high mount elevator between fins ? EDF unit ? nose mounted prop ?

I reckon this airframe can lend itself to some outlandish mods !!

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:06 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,251 Posts
I recall there was a chap that mounted a 64mm fan on one.did quite a nice paintjob aswell.but can't remember if he ever posted an vid or anything.I should have PJ 2 ready soon.
chop stiX is online now Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:42 AM
United Kingdom, Leeds
Joined Aug 2011
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
No-one else thinking of trying the twin approach ?

I'm also interested to know about modifications .. such as high mount elevator between fins ? EDF unit ? nose mounted prop ?

I reckon this airframe can lend itself to some outlandish mods !!

Nigel
Hmmmm EDF you say?

Got a spare 64mm EDF unit kicking about and 3 boxed Parkjets waiting for inspiration, may have to try the EDF option.

I'm still currently running my beaten up black and red one with 40A ESC, 3550kv Heli Motor and 4.5 x 4.5., seems to have topped out at around 224km/h with this setup, no matter which prop I try. Happy enough at that to be fair, just need to get some decent weather and I'll try to capture some onboard footage and post it up on here.

Looking forward to seeing the Twin setup Nigel.
crashnstick is offline Find More Posts by crashnstick
Last edited by crashnstick; Jan 21, 2013 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Spulling
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:50 AM
how'd I do that....oh
Joined May 2011
2,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnstick View Post
Hmmmm EDF you say?

Got a spare 64mm EDF unit kicking about and 3 boxed Parkjets waiting for inspiration, may have to try the EDF option.

I'm still currently running my beaten up black and red one with 40A ESC, 3550kv Heli Motor and 4.5 x 4.5., seems to have topped out at around 224km/h with this setup, no matter which prop I try. Happy enough at that to be fair, just need to get some decent wetaher and I'll try to capture some onboard footage and post it up on here.

If that's true your the new champ
post some vid so someone can Doppler.and if so there is finally someone faster than Nigel
I'm really excited to see what my new PJ will perform like.I should be in that region somewhere,well I hope
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:42 AM
United Kingdom, Leeds
Joined Aug 2011
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chop stiX View Post
If that's true your the new champ
post some vid so someone can Doppler.and if so there is finally someone faster than Nigel
I'm really excited to see what my new PJ will perform like.I should be in that region somewhere,well I hope
Oooh.!!

Unfortunately I can't offer any video to back it up, so I guess my champ status is short lived?

Best I can offer is the following data copied from my doppler app:

6 Log -01/13/2013

12:27:19 PM -168.0 KPH

12:28:34 PM -225.5 KPH

12:29:36 PM -222.4 KPH

12:29:37 PM -163.7 KPH

Run 2 downwind, run 3 back the other way........ 223.95kph average.

I'll try and get some video next time I'm out.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:09 PM
how'd I do that....oh
Joined May 2011
2,251 Posts
Some video will be awsome.Hey I believe u Hope my new PJ will get close to those numbers,I'll be real happy
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:24 PM
Wats the worst that can happen
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
486 Posts
I might try out a dual prop setup as well after I've finished a few plane projects.
I still have yet to try my 4200kv 4s setup. might be i dont need any more than that.
TheCure is offline Find More Posts by TheCure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Mods to My RC Electronics
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:07 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnstick View Post
Hmmmm EDF you say?

I'm still currently running my beaten up black and red one with 40A ESC, 3550kv Heli Motor and 4.5 x 4.5., seems to have topped out at around 224km/h with this setup, no matter which prop I try. Happy enough at that to be fair, just need to get some decent weather and I'll try to capture some onboard footage and post it up on here.

AT LAST !!!! I was starting to worry that i was the only daft at that sort of speed !!

What LiPo were you running on that ? Not only my interest - but others need to know as well....
My 222kph was on a 3S 1800, 50A ESC, 5x5 prop and 3700kv Westor HI-Perf Heli Motor. Later runs only managed 215kph due to airframe being so rough and damaged ... the 4S run I attempted screwed into the ground making PKJ1 airframe unsuitable for further speed attempts.

PKJ2 4400kv + 4S wouldn't lift - kept sticking it's nose into the ground ! Needed more control movement at start, but split second later reduced to barely moving ! Was a nightmare to try and get flying.
So this became the frame for the PKJ(twin) ........ which was plagued by over 110Amp demand ... flexing of frame with so much power ... I had to reduce motors to get amps and flexing down to useable levels. Weather and flight area has been problem since re-modelling.

224 .... mmmmmmmmm maybe I should ressurect my old PKJ1 and clean her up to attack that !!

Nigel
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:13 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,911 Posts
Quote:
My doppler gave max clear speed of 159kph on that ... there were higher, but they were not clear as when you edited the vid - you clipped what may have been faster speed ... but time span for the doppler is not enough.

159kph = 98mph

So I reckon you were over 100mph at times. But of course you have the full original video ...
Welcome to the club !!

Nigel
Thanks Nigel but not sure how accurate the readings were. My FB was running RC Speedo on his android phone and I discounted some of the reported 100 mph+ runs as it just didn't seem that fast. I ran my HK Rare Bear Funfighter on 4S just after and it seemed a lot faster. Perhaps I need to try a 4S pack with 4.1 x 4.1 on the PJ
Andy
headlessagain is online now Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:29 AM
United Kingdom, Leeds
Joined Aug 2011
43 Posts
Quote:
AT LAST !!!! I was starting to worry that i was the only daft at that sort of speed !!

What LiPo were you running on that ? Not only my interest - but others need to know as well....
My 222kph was on a 3S 1800, 50A ESC, 5x5 prop and 3700kv Westor HI-Perf Heli Motor. Later runs only managed 215kph due to airframe being so rough and damaged ... the 4S run I attempted screwed into the ground making PKJ1 airframe unsuitable for further speed attempts.

PKJ2 4400kv + 4S wouldn't lift - kept sticking it's nose into the ground ! Needed more control movement at start, but split second later reduced to barely moving ! Was a nightmare to try and get flying.
So this became the frame for the PKJ(twin) ........ which was plagued by over 110Amp demand ... flexing of frame with so much power ... I had to reduce motors to get amps and flexing down to useable levels. Weather and flight area has been problem since re-modelling.

224 .... mmmmmmmmm maybe I should ressurect my old PKJ1 and clean her up to attack that !!

Nigel
TBH Nigel, wait until I've caught some video and posted up here for someone to verify. Just doesn't seem that fast if I'm honest, got nothing to compare it to and difficult to judge in the air with nothing racing past, but it sure doesn't look like 140mph feels on my bike!!

Having said all that, getting consistent measurements around the 220+ mark every time I fly her, and other planes measured the same way are giving some seemingly realistic readings. Who knows, I'll grab some video next time I fly her and let you guys decide.

Battery is only a 1300mah but will deliver 90c!!! only give her full throttle for one or two passes per flight and keep flights to 3-4 minutes.

Gareth

Edit - Sorry should have said the battery is a 3s, probably realised that but thought I should mention it.
Last edited by crashnstick; Jan 22, 2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:13 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,323 Posts
So you are using 3S Nanotech's ......

I've not had any good with nanos and stick with Zippy Compacts ...

The twin with all that weight at back end handles a 2200 3S to balance !! or a 1600 4S ..

My problem is whatever pack I use - I'm pushing past their operating limits. I may try nanos again ... but like I say - I never had any good from them. First few flights OK ... then steady quick decline to useless ...

Nigel
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:16 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,323 Posts
I'm really angry that HK have stopped selling the Hk PKJ Kits .. and only offer the PnF version now.

Wish there was way to get the bare airframe again ...

Hey .. Hobby King .... you reading this ? Get the Parkjet Kits back on the shelf !!

Plus I liked the decal sheet that came with the kit .. I used it on other models !!

Nigel
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:39 AM
how'd I do that....oh
Joined May 2011
2,251 Posts
Quote:
I'm really angry that HK have stopped selling the Hk PKJ Kits .. and only offer the PnF version now.

Hey .. Hobby King .... you reading this ? Get the Parkjet Kits back on the shelf !!

Plus I liked the decal sheet that came with the kit .. I used it on other models !!

Nigel
Ya same here.i was lucky that the HK strorefront here had one kit and I got it at half price,since the oke said no one seems to want it.Now I just need the darn time to get it done,but there's that damn annoying thing called work that eats my time
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:50 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,911 Posts
It seems like great minds think alike Nigel. I used the decals on my HK Mini-Swift
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1126
headlessagain is online now Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:32 AM
Gravity sucks.
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Mar 2011
562 Posts
Quote:

Nigel
I went to order a few of these inspired by the characteristics of my skyfun and watching those rocket launch videos - the kits are gone and the airframes are out of stock.
m_ark is offline Find More Posts by m_ark