HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 05, 2014, 09:06 AM
United States, NJ, Jackson
Joined Nov 2011
325 Posts
I think this type of plane is great as a first plane. My first plane was the Bixler. I learned how to fly on this plane without help. I have found it to be very forgiving and easy to fly. The hand launching did have a little learning curve. It worked best having someone else throw the plane for you. I have a Ver. 1 Bixler. I have since moved on to many other planes but still enjoy the Bix. Good in the wind as well as nice calm days. If I remember correctly, I had to very little initially to get flying. The only issue I had early on with the plane were with the wings staying together and he canopy kept wanting to come off. I have changed/fixed/upgraded many things since.
Scooch is offline Find More Posts by Scooch
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2014, 04:09 PM
United States, IA, Keosauqua
Joined Sep 2010
276 Posts
When I was just a kid (only 68) back in 2010 I ordered a RTF Sky S for my first ever plane. While waiting for it to arrive, I read this forum from one end to other & became convinced of two things---1)- I would crash & need to make repairs and 2)- plane would need modifications to hold wings on, stiffen fuse, and add stiffness to the wing spar.

Since the nearest hobby shop is 120 miles from me and the closest club about 40 I decided to scratch build a Blu Baby to learn on instead. After the SS arrived, I saw how things worked & put it on the shelf for over a year before the maiden flight.

Sure enough, I crashed, landed in trees, lost orientation, etc. several times and have scrapped out 6 or 7 various scratch built planes but have never yet crashed the SS after over 100 successful flights.

So, if you have any thoughts about building your own plane to learn on, I would say go for it. Not the best approach for lots of people,but it worked for me--(I now have 7 scratch-built planes in my hanger besides the SS and I could replace any one of the 7 for less than $5 worth of foam using salvaged electronics from its ancestor)

Bob
Bob A is offline Find More Posts by Bob A
Old May 06, 2014, 02:12 AM
Australia, NSW, Balgowlah Heights
Joined May 2013
357 Posts
The bix as Scooch says is a good starting plane and it is very easy to build.
Highly recommend it for your first rc model.
farrari is online now Find More Posts by farrari
Old May 07, 2014, 06:10 PM
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Feb 2014
24 Posts
This AM, I hung my SS in the highest tree on one end of my hayfield flying field. It made a disheartening "thwack!" as the plane-eating tree grabbed it.

I operated all the controls, but only succeeded in dropping the plane about a foot, where it stuck. I could throttle up the motor, to no good effect.

I trudged back to my house, feeling like Charlie Brown after one of his run-ins with his kite-eating tree, except my plane was 80 feet up. My wife was sympathetic.

I had an appointment shortly afterward, and assumed that the plane would probably stay in the treetop until winter. I began to contemplate a replacement.

On returning home, I drove past the tree and saw no airplane in it. Pulling into the garage, I saw my plane in it's usual place - the cockpit off, and the battery unplugged. My wife told me that when she returned home, one of our neighbors stopped her and asked if she knew anyone missing an RC plane. She did!

The SS's only damage is a 1/4" dent in the left wing LE (3M tape works) - all surfaces still operate and all trims are intact. I was glad I had filled the tank of her car during my appointment trip, and I immediately purchased and delivered a case of beer to my neighbor!

I'll stick a few address labels on the SS and tape over them with more 3M HD shipping tape, and try to fly closer-in.
RexGalore is offline Find More Posts by RexGalore
Old May 07, 2014, 10:45 PM
Joined Nov 2011
325 Posts
Glad you got your plane back and in working order. Just a note, it is AMA standard to have contact info in or on your plane. This has helped several pilots in my local club get their aircraft back.
Old May 08, 2014, 12:43 AM
Joined May 2014
20 Posts
Been reading all the inputs, thank you all for your suggestions. I've decided to buy Bixler 1.1 with Turnigy 6X for the remote and turnigy 2200mah 3S 25-35C for the battery. I also prepared modifications to the wings like 4mm spar and velcro, just to be safe. Thanks again.
be2kz is online now Find More Posts by be2kz
Old May 08, 2014, 06:58 AM
Total Newbie
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Dec 2012
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by be2kz View Post
Been reading all the inputs, thank you all for your suggestions. I've decided to buy Bixler 1.1 with Turnigy 6X for the remote and turnigy 2200mah 3S 25-35C for the battery. I also prepared modifications to the wings like 4mm spar and velcro, just to be safe. Thanks again.
Sorry to disappoint you buddy,
But there are RUMORS that production of the Bixler 1.1 has stopped to make way for the v3,so if you need one,even back-ordering is 'blocked' on the sites of most warehouses.
Just prepare a back-up just in case
I too am waiting for the V1.1 kit
Believe it's much better than a v2
jkishan16 is offline Find More Posts by jkishan16
Old May 08, 2014, 08:21 AM
Joined May 2014
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkishan16 View Post
Sorry to disappoint you buddy,
But there are RUMORS that production of the Bixler 1.1 has stopped to make way for the v3,so if you need one,even back-ordering is 'blocked' on the sites of most warehouses.
Just prepare a back-up just in case
I too am waiting for the V1.1 kit
Believe it's much better than a v2
Lucky for me, one of the local store here in my country still has bixler 1.1 in stock. Hopefully you get yours, mate!
Old May 08, 2014, 08:29 AM
Joined May 2014
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A View Post
When I was just a kid (only 68) back in 2010 I ordered a RTF Sky S for my first ever plane. While waiting for it to arrive, I read this forum from one end to other & became convinced of two things---1)- I would crash & need to make repairs and 2)- plane would need modifications to hold wings on, stiffen fuse, and add stiffness to the wing spar.

Since the nearest hobby shop is 120 miles from me and the closest club about 40 I decided to scratch build a Blu Baby to learn on instead. After the SS arrived, I saw how things worked & put it on the shelf for over a year before the maiden flight.

Sure enough, I crashed, landed in trees, lost orientation, etc. several times and have scrapped out 6 or 7 various scratch built planes but have never yet crashed the SS after over 100 successful flights.

So, if you have any thoughts about building your own plane to learn on, I would say go for it. Not the best approach for lots of people,but it worked for me--(I now have 7 scratch-built planes in my hanger besides the SS and I could replace any one of the 7 for less than $5 worth of foam using salvaged electronics from its ancestor)

Bob
Interesting, someday I will make my our rc plane too. But now I will be focusing on how to fly it first. I am not afraid of destroying my rc, it is part of the hobby. I just hope that I dont drop it so bad that I can't make it back to fly.
Old May 08, 2014, 02:55 PM
Joined Nov 2011
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by farrari View Post
hi Scooch, No in Aus you can not fly at night FULL STOP.
Our CASA same as your FAA are complete FW. I know as I am a Pilot here in A and fly the 777, have been flying for over 40yrs.
At least (FOR NOW) you have far less regs than we do, all to do with the " DO GOODERS ", minorities and useless public service.
Ferrari, I sent an e-mail to Niel Tank, the president of the MAAA about night flying. Here is the response:

Hi Carol
Sorry for the delay in replying to your email. You are right in your assumptions.
The MAAA is appointed as the Recognised Aviation Administration Authority (RAAO) for model aircraft and is the only approved model aircraft association.
Under our Manual of Procedures (MOPs) and CASA regulations members of the MAAA are permitted to fly at night if they do so in accordance with the MOP. All MAAA affiliated clubs are sanctioned fields.

Hope this assists
Neil Tank
President
MAAA

This CLEARLY shows that you can fly at night in Australia. Slap some lights on that Bixler and let her rip.
Old May 09, 2014, 08:08 PM
Australia, NSW, Balgowlah Heights
Joined May 2013
357 Posts
Scotch,, I just read our CASA Ac101-3, re models planes, and yes It does not say anything I could see about , not flying at night.. However under a general section which comes up when you go to their site and search UAV it says , no flying at night, so one section contradicts the other. Having said that, the section ac101,that does not say you can not fly at night,is the law. So I suppose you can.
Thanks for checking with them.
farrari is online now Find More Posts by farrari
Last edited by farrari; May 09, 2014 at 08:14 PM.
Old May 23, 2014, 10:56 PM
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Feb 2014
24 Posts
I flew the SS at our club field this past weekend (the first time away from my home hayfield). There were plenty of thermals around, and although I didn't gain much altitude several times I didn't lose any altitude for several minutes at a time.

I've also been lucky with a lack of wind this week. I've been able to improve maintaining altitude through turns and have been flying low inside the hayfield (great fun!).

I made a short disorienting video with my keychain camera shipping taped to the top of the nose. I'll have to come up with a more secure and trustworthy mount.
RexGalore is offline Find More Posts by RexGalore
Old May 23, 2014, 11:13 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexGalore View Post
I made a short disorienting video with my keychain camera shipping taped to the top of the nose. I'll have to come up with a more secure and trustworthy mount.
I have a strip of black Velcro from the canopy forward ~ 50 mm long and the 808 has a piece of Velcro on its bottom so it sticks to the Bixler. There is a length of string tied to the 808 and that goes into the fuselage with a large tag on it with a phone number.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old May 24, 2014, 06:35 AM
United States, AR, Lockesburg
Joined Feb 2012
937 Posts
My SS took a bump landing in the pasture last week and knocked the Mobius camera off the velcro. Took a long time to find the little camera in the tall grass. Mac50L a string tied to the plane or maybe a flag it pulls out would be a big help. Good tip.
Petrie is online now Find More Posts by Petrie
Old May 24, 2014, 07:49 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,595 Posts
I have a similar set up with an 808 on the nose of my SS. It is attached by Velcro and a nylon string so if it gets knocked off the nose it won't go far from the body.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202