Super AVA Center Panel Flap Install
I got a crazy good deal on a Super AVA (old Style) with both electric fuse complete with Neu Motor-gearbox, Castle Ice controller, big ass folding carbon prop and two Thunder Power Batteries....and the stock sailplane fuse.
Of course some minor fixes were needed - both fuses had the usual cracks behind the nose cone lip from too hard landings. It was no problem to fix those better than new with some carbon and kevlar and West Systems.
I prepared the fuses for the repairs by sanding off all the paint in the affected areas, then using 3m spray glue (a light dusting to both the fitted pieces of carbon weave cloth and the receiving areas inside the fuse) to pre-position and hold the cloth in place till I could soak it with resin.
After the pieces were in place, I used my heat gun to warm both the cloth and the fuse areas so that the resin would flow and saturate. I brushed on liberal amounts of resin and then used the heat gun again on both the cloth and surfaces, then I dabbed the cloth everywhere with the brush. Satisfied that I got everything wetted out, I then used paper towel to blot up as much resin as possible.
The damage to the sailplane fuse was pretty complete all the way around after having been "patched" twice before, so I did a bit more inside and out to that one. I actually did the inside patching first, then when it was cured, did the outside.
I wrapped the carbon cloth with electrical tape to 'mold' it tight to the repair area after it was wetted out and heated as mention and blotted. That left some ripples in the finish so I sanded it. In order to make it shine and to highlight the carbon cloth weave look, I wiped on a light coat of resin, then blotted as much off as I could get. The result is a mirror clear finish.
BUT....RES is mostly a past event, and ALES is looking like it might become its replacement so it makes sense to ADD flaps to the current spoiler wing. There's no need to remove the spoilers, and by disconnecting the flaps, it still would be legal for RES.
So that's the basis for this build.
Close to done
It is a BIG job!
Well if you carbon cap everything you add....not sure its needed but I did. That means the new spars I added for the leading edge of the flap and the trailing edges of the center panel...and their faces.
Its a lot of CA too and more carbon than I expected too.
Its painstaking work on a flat table with some steel straight edges to align to.
I cut the spars, notched ever rib where they would insert into the spars, inserted them, inserted some carbon 'spacers' to fill in the space where the face caps would be... glued the joints, capped the tops and bottoms of both, sawed the flaps loose, capped their faces, then capped the wing spar faces. While I was gluing caps on , I held each surface up to or down against or both...to a straight edge to insure that the carbon would be holding each straight.
I'm not a good builder but my stuff is straight when its done and unless you look really close ends up looking okay too.
The next step will be to install the flap servos, horns and linkages, then begin the covering process....argh.
carbon for capping
Not sure what its called but it comes in a sheet, about .008" thick and you can just pinch a strip off of which ever width you want, then pull it off the sheet in a strip.
So for capping the ribs, I pinched off about a 1/8" strip, pulled it off the sheet, cut to length, then CA'd it to the new ribs.
For capping the new trailing and leading edges of the flap joint, I pinched off strips about 1/2" wide.
I glued the top and bottom caps on while the flaps were still attached to the main panel, then capped the faces of the panels and the flaps while holding them down on a flat table. The goal was to try to insure that nothing ended up bowed or warped. Worked out pretty well. Some sanding was required to final trim each cap.
It really is a lot of small steps to make this happen properly....we are talking an airframe that cost's a lot of money, so its worth taking extra care and thought.
I'm driving the flaps with HS81MGs that I had laying around, and the spoilers will be driven by some tiny Vigor servos (DLG type with metal gears and digital)...since the spoilers aren't used much.
I'll be mounting the spoiler servos ON the spoilers to use them as weight to drop the spoilers and for easy access.
Photos will be forthcoming ...its been to hot to get more than bits and pieces done at a time.
|Category||Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Discussion||EL Super AVA Pro - 4 flaps||d_maroney||Electric Competition Soaring-F5J/ALES/e-Soaring||23||Aug 06, 2013 06:17 AM|
|For Sale||Ava Flapped Center Section||orbitone||Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W)||3||Jun 01, 2013 02:29 AM|
|Wanted||Super AVA Center Panel||Luis Moya||Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W)||0||Apr 02, 2013 06:46 AM|
|Wanted||AVA or Super AVA Main Panel||Riserflier||Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W)||3||Oct 07, 2010 09:46 PM|
|Wanted||AVA or Super AVA center section||carrinsr||Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W)||0||Sep 06, 2009 06:02 PM|