Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 18, 2005, 09:09 AM
Look mom, I can...crash.
Oregon
Joined Mar 2003
306 Posts
My first Gas Build-TopFlite C182 Gold

Well heres how it happened. The old roommate moved out, and bigger planes moved in. Well there about to move in.

I have always wanted to build Scale. All my electrics, all be it fun, are nothing close to compitition level scale realism. I have joined my local flying club. (something for some reason I never did earlier with my 20 some e-fliers).

Being my first gas plane, but far from my first full kit build, I expect to be picking the more educated brains to be found here, for probably more silly and obvious questions.

That being stated, first question... 2 or 4 stroke engine??? I know the workings of both 2 anf 4 stroke engines, by question is what is the valuable difference in power, torque, mantinance, weight ect.

Adam H
IMCingYou is offline Find More Posts by IMCingYou
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2005, 09:57 AM
Drifter
Joined Apr 2004
48 Posts
For the Cessna I would definitely go with the 4 stroke. Much more scale sound and can swing a more scale prop. Four strokes are perhaps a little more expensive and may have a lower power to weight ratio but they are easy to maintain and run. And, that "thumpa-thumpa" Harley Davidson sound at idle is somthing you will just love.
Commander_Drake is offline Find More Posts by Commander_Drake
Old Mar 18, 2005, 10:47 AM
Look mom, I can...crash.
Oregon
Joined Mar 2003
306 Posts
I would love the more throaty sound from the 4 stroke, but I also want to be able to run the correct scale prop for appearance.

Is the 4 stroke the way to go when seaking scale looks. Scale sound would be great if there is a 4 stroke out there that could spin a scale prop. Im not looking to tear up the skies in my C182. I want a comfortable pattern plane that has ample power to "Save my Proverbial Bacon" if needed. Im not a lead foot, so 1/3-1/2 throttle for level flight is preffered.
IMCingYou is offline Find More Posts by IMCingYou
Old Mar 19, 2005, 07:42 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,303 Posts
A 4C will usually swing a larger prop that a 2C. They have higher torque.
GregG is online now Find More Posts by GregG