Old Aug 16, 2014, 12:43 PM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,487 Posts
Help!
I need some help with CAD

hey there guys,

I need some help as the title says. I don't have tons of money to spend, but I would love to build a ship based off plans I have for the Seaforth Conqueror. My biggest issue is I don't have much in the way of available precision power saws so I was thinking about getting the frames laser cut. The problem is I don't know CAD, and while the local laser cutter is really reasonable with the pricing of cutting the ply for me the hand drawn to CAD or vector graphics cost is out of this shipyards budget for a long while.

So here is my question, would any of you who do know CAD be willing to draw up the frames in exchange for a copy of the plans for yourself (they are already digital) or do any of you know an easy to use preferably free (Linux or windows) CAD program that has a small learning curve?

I already have DELFTship and I don't find that very easy to use, plus I already have the hull lines, I need the actual parts designed now.

Thanks in advance

Massey
Massey is offline Find More Posts by Massey
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2014, 06:03 PM
---o-O-o---
United States, NJ, Livingston
Joined Mar 2012
1,599 Posts
Massey,

Try Inkscape with the CAD plugin, it's open source and works well in Linux or (god forbid) windoze. The learning curve is not steep, it works more like a drawing program than CAD. There are already other members here using it besides me, so help won't be hard to come by, plus there is a lot of community support on the net.

blutoh
blutoh is offline Find More Posts by blutoh
Old Aug 16, 2014, 07:37 PM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,487 Posts
Great thanks Blutoh, I will give it a try.

I got the plans for this ship printed off and to assist me in the tracing of the hull lines for the frames I made a quick makeshift light table. It is 2 LED fish tank lights wrapped in some foam with a piece of poly on top that I sanded with 60grit and an orbital sander. I put an old white T shirt under it on my bench as my bench is dark green. It works well enough for what I need.

Massey
Old Aug 16, 2014, 09:02 PM
Joined Aug 2014
19 Posts
I bought a nice jig-saw from a pawn-shop for $15, my computer has MS paint. You can change the settings in MS Paint to be scale for inches. I used a low-end mono-chrome printer to print out the cutouts only problem I had was that my model is quite large and my cheep-o printer only has a margin of 10 or so inches so its useless for anything wider than that. Long as your not printing large objects it works like a charm but I know where your coming from as I'm doing a low-budget build to.
REWB1 is offline Find More Posts by REWB1
Old Aug 17, 2014, 07:49 AM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
2,012 Posts
Does your Laser guy have a "scanner"? We used to have "one off" custom car parts made from "scanned in", hand made, full size patterns. After scanning in, the patterns were dimentionally checked, then a "test part" was run. If OK, the real parts, out of the good material, were then cut.
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Aug 17, 2014, 02:42 PM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,487 Posts
OK I downloaded Inkscape for Windblows (my Linux machine is not being very nice to me right now) and I am finding this program very frusterating. It will open my PDF or TTIF file but it does not want to let me cut the hull lines section out so I can copy and paste with it. I want this section so I can design my frames, and I need a profile for the keel and again for the upper braces. Grrr going back to paper for now.

Massey
Old Aug 17, 2014, 07:00 PM
---o-O-o---
United States, NJ, Livingston
Joined Mar 2012
1,599 Posts
PM sent
blutoh is offline Find More Posts by blutoh
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:31 PM
United Kingdom, England, Enfield
Joined Jan 2012
840 Posts
Might I suggest a DTP program instead of CAD.

They are a lot easier to learn and a more suitable tool for what you're trying to achieve.

Coreldraw is a good example, I used it daily for my job. You'll be able to import your scanned hand drawn plans into the program and then trace them easily with the drawing tools. Once you're done, you can export to numerous different file types including dwg and dxf which are CAD files.
BenVK is online now Find More Posts by BenVK
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:38 PM
Joined Jan 2012
840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massey View Post
in exchange for a copy of the plans for yourself (they are already digital)
You say they are already digital but in what format?

If it's bitmap format, i.e. just a bunch of pixels like you get when you scan a paper plan, you could use something like this converter.

http://www.verypdf.com/raster-to-vec...converter.html

You'd still have to "tidy up" the resulting vector file in a DTP program but it would save you hours of tracing each line etc.
Last edited by BenVK; Aug 19, 2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:31 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,374 Posts
Requests like this make me feel (a little) guilty. I have the tools... the CAD, experience converting the images, I even have use of a laser cutter... but I have no time!

Having gone through all these steps numerous times (including optimizing the laser cutter settings for a job), I know it just takes TIME... and not a trivial amount of it. If I were to charge for actual time consumed... oy.

As it is, I go home from work and then work some more, until 10pm, in the workshop... no time, no time...
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:30 AM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,487 Posts
Pat, you are a great contributor to this hobby and I totally understand your position. Right now I don't have much time to learn the CAD so I can create the files myself, I put as much time as I can into my children. I have to or they would not have anyone... I am not in a huge rush for this, I doubt I could even get the boat in the water until next summer even if I had the parts all waiting for me right now.

Blutoh has been a great help getting the hull lines turned into individual Inkscape files so I can work them into the frame designs I have in my head. I just found out that my local laser cutting shop will not take this job on as the boss will only let wood be water jetted because the laser smokes and stinks up the shop for weeks, and right now the water jet is working on a long job that takes too long to change the setup for a one run job. He said I could queue my job but there is a lead time of about 18 months on the wj right now... No thanks!

I'm still planning on creating the CAD/vector drawings of all the parts I want for the hull and getting it all ready for a shop that will be able to cut my stuff.

Massey
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:20 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,374 Posts
Sounds like a poor excuse on their part. The laser has to have adequate extraction & ventilation to the outside.
Many places will do the cutting for you. I just had a quote from National Balsa for about $20 per 12x24 sheet of 1/8" plywood (including the wood itself, and using my ready-to-go DXF file). I ended up doing it myself at TechShop, took about 20 minutes per sheet of actual cut time: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post29153371
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:33 PM
Joined Jan 2012
840 Posts
Sent you a PM as I'm happy to have a look at the PDF files to see what can be done.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 01:05 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,374 Posts
Watch out for this little scaling "landmine" in Inkscape:

Inscape saves to SVG files, which has some meaningless measurement units confusingly referred to as "pixels" (they aren't pixels!), and then assumes a scale of, iirc, 90 pixels per inch.

But other software (like Adobe Illustrator and/or CorelDraw, which are used at the laser) suck in your SVG and assume 72 pixels per inch. Yikes, your art has just been changed by 80%.

There is a hard to find option in Inkscape to save the SVG at 72 pixels... but in any case it's always good to include a measured line in your art, labeled "THIS LINE IS 8 INCHES LONG".

Been there, mis-scaled that...
Old Aug 21, 2014, 02:06 PM
Joined Jan 2012
840 Posts
Understood, I prefer to always convert to dwg or dfx so that I can re-size in AutoCAD if needed (it always is!) to an accurate 1:1 plan in model space. I'm sure you know what I mean.